Wireless suggestions for desktop

garamo

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys,

I have given my old PC to my brother and he needs a wireless internet connection. I have no experience with this at all as I've never used wireless internet. Just looking for some suggestions for a cheap, fast, reliable option.

MoBo is an ASUS P5K SE so looks as if it could be PCI, PCI-E or USB and would prefer it to be 300kbps really. The machine is down one floor from the router and not too far off on the horizontal plane but I’m not sure exactly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I agree about the homeplugs, but be careful.

I have the devolo homeplugs (big blue ones), I also have a set of Logitech Z5500 speakers. For some reason the two interfere with eachother. Ive not had this problem with any other speakers, but with the Z5500's the bass pops quite loud everytime the access light flashes on the Devolo plugs.

For this reason I cannot use my speakers when connected to the net through the devolos. Pretty annoying, so if your looking at homeplugs and you have a set of Z5500 id either test a friends out first, or look at a different make, not really sure what the problem is or why they interfere.

sherman39

I am using Comtrend Powerline Adapters 9020 which work well for me.You can buy matching pairs on Ebay as I believe BT include them in one of there packages and those that do not use them, sell them. NB: If the listing doesn't mention it ask if they are the versions with the "green dot" on the back as I understand they are the most recent.
They have the advantage of incorporating a socket, so they plug into an electrical socket but also provide one so you do not lose a socket, if that is a consideration.