Witcher 3

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
It feels like I've been this playing for a while now (but this may not be true as it goes in fits and bursts when I have a spare moment but I must have put 2 hours in at least I would have thought) but I still haven't leveled up once. Is there something I'm missing? how do you level up? I've just spoken to the Nilfgaardian (sp.) dude and been given the mission to kill the griffin in exchange for info on the woman I'm banging... am I actually nowhere near far enough in yet to get a 'level'? Is that actually right at the start of the game and I've just been fannying around on the horse and doing side quests? Most of the inventory page is also baffling me but I assume, like Dark Souls, I'll eventually become the best Witcher in the world......... :whistling:

Spuff

Expert
It feels like I've been this playing for a while now (but this may not be true as it goes in fits and bursts when I have a spare moment but I must have put 2 hours in at least I would have thought) but I still haven't leveled up once. :

I've been playing for 8hrs53mins, and I'm level 5. I can't remember when I got to level 2. Just go to every question mark on the map and do it. I think the first area is all doable at the start (on standard difficulty). Once you get to the second area there is a mix of things you can and can't do at the level you arrive at.
The GOG starter tells you your playing time total.

There is a lot I haven't got to grips with yet too.

Last edited:

SlimCini

I've been playing for about 8 hours (I'll check that when I get home), and I'm level 5. I can't remember when I got to level 2. Just go to every question mark on the map and do it. I think the first area is all doable at the start (on standard difficulty). Once you get to the second area there is a mix of things you can and can't do at the level you arrive at.
Th GOG starter tells you your playing time total.

There is a lot I haven't got to grips with yet too.

What's the 'second' area exactly? I went to one question mark and it said I didn't have the level to blow it up with a bomb or something so I kind of ignored all question marks from then on thinking there's no point until I got a bit higher. Whoops.

Spuff

Expert
What's the 'second' area exactly? I went to one question mark and it said I didn't have the level to blow it up with a bomb or something so I kind of ignored all question marks from then on thinking there's no point until I got a bit higher. Whoops.

After you get a certain point in the story in the first region you have an interlude in a particular place and then you can travel to some other regions on the world map. There was only one region that was showing a quest marker so that is the region I am now in. I'm not sure if I could have gone to the other highlighted areas of the world map or what is in them.

I didn't know you had to be a certain level to destroy the monster nests. When I went to the first couple I hadn't worked out that I needed to have a bomb equipped.

Last edited:

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Long time no post =) Hi all :D

This is my game of the year for sure, not had this much fun in a long time.

The first area you are in is White Orchard, a sort of prelude to the sotry, although you'll end up going back there later on in the game. The second part is one huge map, Velen and Novigrad which you'll spend a majority of your time - before heading to Skellige for more of the story. All of it is bloody beautiful.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Do the side quests, but you'll gain more XP for doing the main story. The key to leveling up is to keep on fighting things. Keep saving all the time too!

I've just unlocked the quest to reach Skellige, but it's a level 26 quest.....I'm only at level 9.

mcatlow

Do the side quests, but you'll gain more XP for doing the main story. The key to leveling up is to keep on fighting things. Keep saving all the time too!

I've just unlocked the quest to reach Skellige, but it's a level 26 quest.....I'm only at level 9.

I have also just reached that quest, I'm level 14. I have completed more than 20 of those question mark missions on the map, and they really help with leveling up. Also, I kill all the drowners, wolves, etc that I come across.

SlimCini

Spent 90 minutes last night going from question mark to question mark in the white orchard, really getting into it and getting into the flow of combat and steadily learning to use more and more of those five stupidly named powers. Dodge seems far more effective to me than roll during combat.

Anyway, the bear guarding one of those question marks freaked me out the first time I saw it but it went down with me barely taking a scratch. Still don't know how to make a bomb to blow up the monster nests though... sure it will come eventually. Lot's of side quests opening up as I go from question mark to question mark though which is nice. Not going to take on griffin until I've got all the side quests done as they're so satisfying. This game is so addictive!

A couple of bugs and issues I'm noticing though. Some 'lootable' items stay highlighted even after looting in witcher sense then only lose their highlighting about 20 seconds after you've looted which makes witcher sense a bit annoying for looting. Anyone else getting that? The map is also an abomination. You want to zoom out of the area map as far as you can without switching to full world map view? Yeah, good luck with that! Stupid design. Getting on and off the horse is also nowhere near as fluid as Red Dead Redemption and is bugging me a bit.

But all in all, epic so far and I've only scratch the side quest surface.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
For everyone looking to make bombs, they're in the alchemy section, you craft them the same way as potions etc and replenish each day you meditate (depending on difficulty)

Spuff

Expert
as potions etc and replenish each day you meditate (depending on difficulty)

Is there a limit to how many times you can meditate in a day? I haven't noticed one. Usable equipped items replenish every time you meditate using up strong alcohol (I haven't run out of that so far).

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
That frying pan mission. The escalated quickly.

I think i prefer the interface of the Witcher 2 but i probably would have said the reverse if i started off with this one.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Guess I need to learn how to make potions too then :confused:

It's in the menu system, called "alchemy" :)

Is there a limit to how many times you can meditate in a day? I haven't noticed one. Usable equipped items replenish every time you meditate using up strong alcohol (I haven't run out of that so far).

Not that i've noticed, finished the storyline now and never had an issue!

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
How long did it take to finish the storyline? Can you continue and do everything else after the storyline?

Well I did a fair amount of side quests along the way and it took 55 hours!

I think the official figure for story alone is 35 hours.

Definitely do all the side quests related to story characters, they've put a lot of time into those ones and they aren't available after you've got to a certain point in the story as they can affect the storyline as well.

Last edited:

SlimCini

I spent a good few rounds of meditation to replenish bomb restocks and was throwing endless bombs at the first monster nest wondering why it didn't blow up before I saw that you just had to walk up to it and press 'A'. :whistling:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I have too much stuff in my inventory and I have no idea what to sell !!

If you're level 15 or under then just sell any valuable gems and ingots as you don't need them (just keep silver and steel ingots for swords), once you get to higher levels start to keep the valuable ingots and gems as you'll need them to craft good armor :)