xbox 360 controller wireless reciever

rafflo

Bronze Level Poster
I bought a cheap xbox controller wireless receiver on ebay,, cost me like £10 including shipment, but when i plugged it the installation cannot be completed, says driver cannot be found,,, anyone can help? i tried to download the software that can be found on microsoft site but still no luck :(

JSG10

Expert
Sounds like it might be a knock off mate :S I use a wired one for mine. Plug an play.

Oh, also, I *think* you have to have a PC 360 wireless controller. The standard 360 wireless ones aren't compatible which is ridiculous. I'm sure I had a similar problem myself which is why I went the wired route.

rafflo

Bronze Level Poster
@ tom yeah i got the disc but its useless because its only compatible with windows xp,,,

@JSG10 yeah tnx mate ill just get a wired one and youre right the standard 360 wireless controller cant be use which is ridiculous

JSG10

Expert
Thats Microsoft for you mate... can't use their accessories for their console on their OS, got to spend more money to get the same accessory that is "compatible" It's all about the $$$

Go wired as well, that way you can use it on your console too if one of your other ones break.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Thats Microsoft for you mate... can't use their accessories for their console on their OS, got to spend more money to get the same accessory that is "compatible" It's all about the $$$

Go wired as well, that way you can use it on your console too if one of your other ones break.

Um not sure exactly how you would go about using it without some sort of receiver, they need some way of intercepting the wireless signal they use.

Secondly goto the microsoft website and try downloading their latest drivers for the xbox 360 controller, this usually works for me. I have absolutley no problem running my official wireless controller.

JSG10

Expert
Sorry you've mis-understood or I didn't explain.

Obviously you need a reciever. But you can't (or at least you never used to be able to) buy even an official wireless reciever for xbox 360 controller and have the '360' wireless controller work with it, had to buy a controller specific for PC (and the reciever) something to do with different types of signals or wavelengths or some such annoyance.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Sorry you've mis-understood or I didn't explain.

Obviously you need a reciever. But you can't (or at least you never used to be able to) buy even an official wireless reciever for xbox 360 controller and have the '360' wireless controller work with it, had to buy a controller specific for PC (and the reciever) something to do with different types of signals or wavelengths or some such annoyance.

Hmm odd because I bought my wireless receiver about 6 months, maybe a year after xbox was released, ive never bought a special 360 contoller specific for pc either, and has always worked perfectly fine.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i belive they only work on vista and newer os`s ive had one before worked with a standard xbox controller but found it didnt calibrate properly so i went to wired and have never looked back oh and its a standard xbox wired controller not a pc one..

Fear

Prolific Poster
I bought a wireless 360 pad a couple of years ago that came with the USB reciever which i have used on XP,Vista and Windows7 it should find the drivers automatically for you so no need for the driver disc and if you have not tried it already press both the reset button on the reciever and the 360 pad this should pair them and might update the drivers when they are connected.

Also just to mention all wireless 360 controllers are supposed to be compatible the reciever not just the ones sold with the reciever for windows.

JSG10

Expert
By the sounds of it, I got unlucky as did OP. I have read a few threads though about people have problems with this :S