This SOPA group is really cheesing me off

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I take it you mean UK television companies.
Yes I know,some poor sod being thrown to the wolves,
or should I say fat cats,to make an example of them,
justice? no.

So what would you have them do? let him off? If thats the case then what would you say in general to illegal downloading, or illegal activities promoting illegal downloading, is it all ok, and by ok I mean not serious enough to warrent charges?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
So what would you have them do? let him off? If thats the case then what would you say in general to illegal downloading, or illegal activities promoting illegal downloading, is it all ok, and by ok I mean not serious enough to warrent charges?
Lol,are you reading my posts?
I'm saying they should be dealt with in the UK.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yes I know lol, however the problem is its a court case that the us have brought on behalf of us clients, they have every right to request an extradition. The fact our government will blatently not do anything about it should not prevent the companies from which he effectively helped steal from having justice.

Tom DWC

Yes I know lol, however the problem is its a court case that the us have brought on behalf of us clients, they have every right to request an extradition. The fact our government will blatently not do anything about it should not prevent the companies from which he effectively helped steal from having justice.

Their definition of "justice" is subjective.

Also I love how the webhost that allowed this content to be hosted while making their $$$ and the owners of the websites themselves haven't been mentioned at all, I assume they're getting off scott free? Double standards.

Whenever a subject that I actually know a little bit about comes up (this is a very rare thing) I always find the BBCs coverage lacking in information somewhat.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Which brings me back to the point,
I dont think it's serious enough to warrant extradition.
Lol,lets agree to disagree,

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Their definition of "justice" is subjective.

Also I love how the webhost that allowed this content to be hosted while making their $$$ and the owners of the websites themselves haven't been mentioned at all, I assume they're getting off scott free? Double standards.

Whenever a subject that I actually know a little bit about comes up (this is a very rare thing) I always find the BBCs coverage lacking in information somewhat.

This is the same argument many have faced before, currently (legally speaking) it is nothing to do with the servers that host, since they all place disclaimers saying it is the responsibility of the client to make sure they do not host any illegal material on their servers, it is also clearly stated that if found they will be removed from said servers. There is a difference between being the storage for any content and allowing the owners (clients) of the storage to control the content that goes on there, and being the person who delibratley does it knowing their website is being created spoecifically to aid others in breaking the law.

Tom DWC

This is the same argument many have faced before, currently (legally speaking) it is nothing to do with the servers that host, since they all place disclaimers saying it is the responsibility of the client to make sure they do not host any illegal material on their servers, it is also clearly stated that if found they will be removed from said servers. There is a difference between being the storage for any content and allowing the owners (clients) of the storage to control the content that goes on there, and being the person who delibratley does it knowing their website is being created spoecifically to aid others in breaking the law.

Fair enough. Doesn't make it right though. And still doesn't clear the creators of the websites he linked to. The irony of that is they probably host these from within the US as well, yet it's the guy from the UK being sued and extradited. I just hope he wins his appeal so he can be punished here instead.

UndeadJack

Master Poster

Yes but if we tried to do the same the Americans would tell us to eff off. At least while he is there he can experience the "american dream" :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Fair enough. Doesn't make it right though. And still doesn't clear the creators of the websites he linked to. The irony of that is they probably host these from within the US as well, yet it's the guy from the UK being sued and extradited. I just hope he wins his appeal so he can be punished here instead.

As long as he does get punished for it I have no problem where it happens tbh. But more than likley he will win his appeal and never be punchised either, increasing the ever growing opinion that pirating is ok because you will never get caught/punished.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think the reason it is popular is because of how common it is to get away with it, its as if its a law that doesnt really exist, if the governments started following up on this a lot more it would be less popular, its also harder to control now, i imagine 3/4 of the country would be in jail for it for some sort of offence

UndeadJack

Master Poster
As long as he does get punished for it I have no problem where it happens tbh. But more than likley he will win his appeal and never be punchised either, increasing the ever growing opinion that pirating is ok because you will never get caught/punished.

He should be sued, not imprisoned. Hear about scapegaming in 2009? Blizzard won 89 million dollars from some idiot girl who made $5m profit off a private server with 500k active accounts (A LOT of non-subscribing wow players)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I think he should have to pay royalties to anything pirated and then be fined on how series the offence is. I don't think five years jail is quite right but it isn't for me to decide and I haven't looked at the story in detail yet so I can't say anything much!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think the fine should be the approximate worth of whatever its worth plus 25% that way they'll get taught a lesson by having to pay more, jail sentences should only really be used in extreme cases where someone has got every game and then is also using torrents to distribute it

UndeadJack

Master Poster
i think the fine should be the approximate worth of whatever its worth plus 25% that way they'll get taught a lesson by having to pay more, jail sentences should only really be used in extreme cases where someone has got every game and then is also using torrents to distribute it

Well his films will have been distributed millions of times and the fine per offence is $250,000-Unlimited in the USA. AKA bankruptcy

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
250k minimum, thats ridiculous, theres teaching a lesson and then there is just being greedy, bet the companies half the time dont even get their fair share of that money and instead the government get it all

UndeadJack

Master Poster
250k minimum, thats ridiculous, theres teaching a lesson and then there is just being greedy, bet the companies half the time dont even get their fair share of that money and instead the government get it all

That, my friend is called the United States. :D

(actually the law firms get it as they are civil suits)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I can see that will mean bankruptancy. The easiest way that I can see out of all this pirating is to let officials see ip addresses of illegal downloads and then get the people who have downloaded the film and then charge them plus a fine. IMO, most of the royalties should go to the film and the rest go to the government or wherever. I think if they just started affresh by just suddenly tracking the IPs for any downloads that happen after they start, I wouldn't bother chasing people that have done it before as I believe that that is going to be virtually impossible. What they should do is hype the media up about it so everyone knows about it before hand.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I can see that will mean bankruptancy. The easiest way that I can see out of all this pirating is to let officials see ip addresses of illegal downloads and then get the people who have downloaded the film and then charge them plus a fine. IMO, most of the royalties should go to the film and the rest go to the government or wherever. I think if they just started affresh by just suddenly tracking the IPs for any downloads that happen after they start, I wouldn't bother chasing people that have done it before as I believe that that is going to be virtually impossible. What they should do is hype the media up about it so everyone knows about it before hand.

I think a lot of people on the internet were thinking to themselves, "why didn't he use Tor!" ... (is used by whistle-blowing websites to keep them secret). Tbh I think people should just start buying stuff for once. If people are buying all these blu-ray players why aren't they buying blu-rays....

The guy will have no assets frozen, will not have to pay a penny and will get a couple years in prison atm. He deserves the prison but he doesn't deserve the torture of an american prison. Hellholes

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I think a lot of people on the internet were thinking to themselves, "why didn't he use Tor!" ... (is used by whistle-blowing websites to keep them secret). Tbh I think people should just start buying stuff for once. If people are buying all these blu-ray players why aren't they buying blu-rays....

The guy will have no assets frozen, will not have to pay a penny and will get a couple years in prison atm. He deserves the prison but he doesn't deserve the torture of an american prison. Hellholes

I see, you know what an american prison is like do you? apart from believeing everything you see on tv that is?

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I see, you know what an american prison is like do you? apart from believeing everything you see on tv that is?

Well, In america you don't get a free xbox from the taxpayer because you are bored. Hellhole indeed. OT I have American family and my dad's cousin works as a prison warden. He says it a hellhole, its a hellhole.

Plus. I don't watch TV.