Assassin's Creed Unity

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
I got mine on disc...5 of them! Took over an hour to install and then there was an update that was over 800MB but I have a very fast Internet connection (Virgin Media over 150MB/s) so that only took about a couple minutes. Still longest install of anything I've seen before!

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
A new patch has apparently been released. Not sure it's fixed everything but allegedly it's supposed to fix SLI support.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
OH NO!!!

Wasn't a smooth start i must say,

1) I set the game to download this morning and it only downloaded upto the Playable part of the download so i could only test the first part
2) Game started with Nvidia Experience settings however when i went in it was set to medium was getting about 90 FPS so unlike Black Flag this game doenst appear to have a frame lock.
3) Adjusted the settings upto Ultra High and thing started going wrong, steady at the 90s still and 120 at some points but random stops down to 7.
4) Restarted the game and jumped back in and the game upto the Playable point was excelent, sitting between 100 and 90 fps lowest being 67 at a populated area with smoke etc. Bearing in mind im not in amongst crouds on NPC's yet.
5) Havent found any settings regarding physix yet, not sure if thats because of my set up, wrong version of physix or something perhaps.

Game looks beautiful though, deffinatly better than black flag in my opinion, the character model looks much more detailed.

I'll keep you posted with my progress later on today.

p.s im still using SLI for test purposes.

Whats the Skybox like?

Have you seen any objects appear out of thin air or Buildings turn from Awesome textures into a flea filled cesspit of sand and cat excrement? =)

I really want to like/fall in love with the series again after the boner killer that Black Flag was (at least for me).

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Agh cool, i doubt mine has installed any of the patches yet, it will most likely finish the game download.

Pretty excited.

It looked sooo amazing though in my opinion, well so far anyway

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Just in case anyone with nvidia cards is having trouble running the game without lag spikes then go onto the Nvidia control panel and change "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" setting from 1 to 2, it stops the majority of lag spikes and makes it run much smoother :)

bigben

Master Poster
Just in case anyone with nvidia cards is having trouble running the game without lag spikes then go onto the Nvidia control panel and change "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" setting from 1 to 2, it stops the majority of lag spikes and makes it run much smoother :)

Thanks for that, didn't stop the problems completely but at least it's playable now. rep

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
Well I managed to make a few quick videos this morning using ShadowPlay. Unfortunately the first video I made didn't include the FPS counter in ShadowPlay (even though I could see it ShadowPlay didn't include it on the recording), so I had to make another two using the FPS counter from FRAPS and recorded again using ShadowPlay.

There are three in total. I apologise now as I am not an expert gamer - as these videos will show!

[video=youtube;d0rtclGBamU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rtclGBamU[/video]

[video=youtube;jOZhyY8_NMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOZhyY8_NMI[/video]

[video=youtube;XdSZUdVqEik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSZUdVqEik[/video]

I'm getting around 30-45 FPS now I'm in Paris when in crowded areas, about 50-55 FPS on the rooftops, and 55-60 FPS inside.

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
[video=youtube;XdSZUdVqEik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSZUdVqEik[/video]

I'm getting around 30-45 FPS now I'm in Paris when in crowded areas, about 50-55 FPS on the rooftops, and 55-60 FPS inside.

That's actually looking pretty smooth =), Are you playing at 1080p here? Skybox looks a whole lot better too. + Rep

Spuff

Expert
I've been getting a solid 60/59fps in all areas with my GTX 970, running in crowds, the lot. I'm using FXAA as recommended by NVIDIA, all settings on max. The only dip was moving among the very dense crowd in front of Louis XVI when it went down to 52fps. I haven't got to Paris yet. My base clock is set at 1314MHz and memory at 1778MHz (this does not get above 72 degrees), the clock goes up to 1542 during games. MSI Gaming. The memory was already factory overclocked but adding +50 in Afterburner seems to have made a surprising difference. 1080p, i5.
The only times it dips is during some cut scenes, when it has gone as low as 38fps.

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
I've been getting a solid 60/59fps in all areas with my GTX 970, running in crowds, the lot. I'm using FXAA as recommended by NVIDIA, all settings on max. The only dip was moving among the very dense crowd in front of Louis XVI when it went down to 52fps. I haven't got to Paris yet. My base clock is set at 1314MHz and memory at 1778MHz (this does not get above 72 degrees), the clock goes up to 1542 during games. MSI Gaming. The memory was already factory overclocked but adding +50 in Afterburner seems to have made a surprising difference. 1080p, i5.
The only times it dips is during some cut scenes, when it has gone as low as 38fps.

How much vram does the 970 have? I think part of my problem is that 2gb doesn't seem to be enough.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
That's actually looking pretty smooth =), Are you playing at 1080p here? Skybox looks a whole lot better too. + Rep

Yes it's in 1080p on my 40" TV. I originally put all the settings on their highest options expecting to have to lower them but as you can see it's very stable and smooth!

Pleb

Silver Level Poster

I found that when I got to Paris the FPS rate decreased slightly but it's a much larger more detailed and far more crowded map so that's no surprise there. I haven't tried lowering the TXAA to FXAA as the Geforce Experience optimised settings were the highest settings bit I'm sure if I lowered it I'd see an increase in framerate.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
How much vram does the 970 have? I think part of my problem is that 2gb doesn't seem to be enough.

The GTX 970 and GTX 980 both have 4GB of VRAM but my card is just the standard Palit GTX 980 that PCS put in my PC it's not an overclocked card. However it runs everything I throw at it with the highest settings!

(Sorry for the three posts I'm on my phone and it makes it hard to do more than one quote per post! )

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Been messing about with the settings tonight on ACU and its weird i get pretty much the same performance on a single gpu as i do on an SLI.

I tested the cards incase one of them was faulty however there both fine.

Its like the game isn't taking advantage of the SLI set up.

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
The 1.2 patch was supposed to fix SLI support but obviously not. Obviously this still isn't supported!

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster
Pleb, your enthusiasm made me install Black Flag again to give it another shot.

I'm actually wondering if the first time around I had something wrong with the Install (through uPlay) as I've not near got the same amount of issues... :D

The phasing in and out of textures is gone, and because the surrounds are so crisp, I'm not phased as much by the SkyBox. + Rep to you again for giving me the encouragement (by being so positive) to try the series out another time.

Oh my.... Havana in 4k, so Delicious.

Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™2014-11-16-21-27-37.jpg Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™2014-11-16-21-47-38.jpg

Pleb

Silver Level Poster
They may have released fixes since you last played it. I didn't have Watchdogs on PC until recently as I was put off by the reports of bugs and glitches but I've had no problems and it runs at over 90 FPS.

I imagine in time the problems some people have had with ACU will be fixed but it has only crashed once for me and that was switching to uplay whilst in game.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Now the games been patched is there an improvement in performance

HA! Im seeing the opposite. Its runs better if i use it in single GPU mode however when in SLI i get texture flickering and water flickering... and inside each flicker is a different UBI soft employee flipping me the bird :D

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
HA! Im seeing the opposite. Its runs better if i use it in single GPU mode however when in SLI i get texture flickering and water flickering... and inside each flicker is a different UBI soft employee flipping me the bird :D

Yeah, i had the same since patch 1.4

In patch 1.3 they made sli work and then in 1.4 broke it...