4k buyers remorse / performance issues

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah probably a good shout, just feel like im wasting there time and money at this stage 😭

Well the fact that it seems to be 4090 cards, it makes me feel like it has to be nvidia! Since ive had palit, gainward and now zotec, 3 different 4090 manufacturers but same issue.

I wish there was a rent a card service lol would help so much with diagnosis, i really dont want to send the card back or pc back again but ill run out of warranty at this rate 😭
There's also the 4080ti model just about to be released, although from the hardware specs, it doesn't seem like such an uplift from the 4080.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There's also the 4080ti model just about to be released, although from the hardware specs, it doesn't seem like such an uplift from the 4080.

They're doing the vRAM shuffle again. It's getting so tiresome. Next to no bump in performance but a vRAM bump to eek out some productivity sales.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
And lastly, where are you running the games from? Which drive and what games launcher?

Steam mostly, wow and overwatch from blizz launcher

Clutching at straws here, but was it said if the games are being run from the boot drive, the second m.2, or the slow SATA SSD?

...and this won't help, but I get none of these issues with my 4090FE, on a 5800X system, so don't think it's a 4090-specific issue.

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
Clutching at straws here, but was it said if the games are being run from the boot drive, the second m.2, or the slow SATA SSD?

...and this won't help, but I get none of these issues with my 4090FE, on a 5800X system, so don't think it's a 4090-specific issue.
Ive tried the games on all my ssd/m2 drives

And yeah i assume its not all 4090s cus i think would be more reported

I have had other 4090 7800x3d users say the same issue is affecting them so i know its not just me going insane, i mean maybe a little bit but still!

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
Anyone know anything i could tweak to try on things like nvidia profile inspector and similar programs maybe? Maybe some back end settings I can make the lod better idk

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
LOD should be a function of the VRAM, SSD and game setting.

However, texture pop-in and poor LOD (which I think is what you're describing) has been an issue in some games due to poor drivers or poor game optimisations.

However, I think we've ruled out the game and/or driver due to reinstallations, wipes, DDU, and others with the same software not having the problem. They can also be caused by faulty hardware...but everything has been replaced and the GPU more than once (was the motherboard replaced too, as bent/faulty pins in the GPU slot can cause issues?).

Very very confusing,

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
LOD should be a function of the VRAM, SSD and game setting.

However, texture pop-in and poor LOD (which I think is what you're describing) has been an issue in some games due to poor drivers or poor game optimisations.

However, I think we've ruled out the game and/or driver due to reinstallations, wipes, DDU, and others with the same software not having the problem. They can also be caused by faulty hardware...but everything has been replaced and the GPU more than once (was the motherboard replaced too, as bent/faulty pins in the GPU slot can cause issues?).

Very very confusing,
Yeah they said they replaced all parts so:(

But yeah, normally would be game settings related but its happening over to many games to be the games:( across old and new games aswell

I don't know what to do at this stage

I know anisotropic filtering or something is ment to affect things but ive forces that to max on control panal and no difference

Sigh:(

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
Just had another thought, maybe i can try and find out what games will run on the built in gpu and see if it has the same issues. No idea what it would run though.

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
I have had a think and i dont recall having this issue when i first had the pc around the time of jedi survivors release. A bit after that game came out i did a bios update due to performance issues (guidance via pcs)

I think that might have been around when the issue started. is there anything in the bios i can check to see if its set low or something?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have had a think and i dont recall having this issue when i first had the pc around the time of jedi survivors release. A bit after that game came out i did a bios update due to performance issues (guidance via pcs)

I think that might have been around when the issue started. is there anything in the bios i can check to see if its set low or something?
The only affect the BIOS has on graphics is the amount of PCIe lanes assigned to the GPU which you can see in GPU-Z

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
The only affect the BIOS has on graphics is the amount of PCIe lanes assigned to the GPU which you can see in GPU-Z
Bummer, guess that line of thought is dead then.

Is there anything else i could check that could affect things, like cpu /ram ect?

Im just trying to think of anything i can do to make this work. I wonder if some random settings in profile inspector would help, guess thats my next test

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bummer, guess that line of thought is dead then.

Is there anything else i could check that could affect things, like cpu /ram ect?

Im just trying to think of anything i can do to make this work. I wonder if some random settings in profile inspector would help, guess thats my next test
I think it’s definitely software related, look up settings guides per game, reset NVIDIA control panel to defaults and make sure GeForce experience is set to highest power and NOT to control settings

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
I think it’s definitely software related, look up settings guides per game, reset NVIDIA control panel to defaults and make sure GeForce experience is set to highest power and NOT to control settings
When i got the pc back i started off before making any changes or anything with testing my test games, rdr2, warhammer and wow. So the pc had no changes to control panel and nvidia experience wasnt even logged in or set up at that stage, just pure in game settings at that point.

So i think its definitely software but whether thats Windows updates or drivers i do not know :(

Bhuna50

Author Level
Isnt this just an in game problem where the rendering of the car - hubcaps spring to the forefront here - is just not finalised until you move closer...

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
but it is loaded, i move back, the car pops back to low res, and this happens in every game i have around the same distance

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
but it is loaded, i move back, it pops back to low res, and this happens in every game i have around the same distance
what are your in game settings for details / shadows etc? Are they all ultra / high? It is just nothing else appears to be going low res at same distance so is it just the odd graphical in game glitches rather than anything with your system?

Hailtothedoge

Gold Level Poster
what are your in game settings for details / shadows etc? Are they all ultra / high? It is just nothing else appears to be going low res at same distance so is it just the odd graphical in game glitches rather than anything with your system?
Everything is set to max, and in the vid yes just the car but if you walk towards the npc the wall shifts too and if you turn and walk to a house the walls shift and sign appears and roof pops in.

I did a run on this game before changing pcs so im sure none of this happened then:(

Other examples i have

BG3

R&c

re5

But anyway, at least its confirmed others can see lol

i know from the vids it might not seem like a big deal but when it happens with almost everything it gets horrible, shadows and lighting also seem to be affected

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Everything is set to max, and in the vid yes just the car but if you walk towards the npc the wall shifts too and if you turn and walk to a house the walls shift and sign appears and roof pops in.

I did a run on this game before changing pcs so im sure none of this happened then:(

Other examples i have

BG3

R&c

re5

But anyway, at least its confirmed others can see lol

i know from the vids it might not seem like a big deal but when it happens with almost everything it gets horrible, shadows and lighting also seem to be affected
You don’t want everything to max by the way, that’s gonna be pretty terrible in most games.

You need to optimise the game. For instance at high res you wouldn’t be using any nvidia super resolution, it’s going to destroy graphics. Obviously that would be disabled for high res, but there are several others in that vein