Any 3D game crashes my entire pc.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
What? PCS could not replicate the problem apparently. The OP insists it's easy to replicate, so that begs the question about what's different between what PCS were doing and what the OP does.
I know. I asked through the phone what the process was, what the guy on the bench did, if he followed my instructions and whatnot. "We cannot disclose this" was the answer. The guy on the bench couldn't replicate the issue and that's all I'm gonna get.

barlew

Godlike
Only ran memorytest86. Iirc that's the name. There were no issues found.

Ok so if you get it back and it still crashes try running Cinebench and see if it crashes. If you have 3D Mark try that after. Alternatively download Aida64 and run a burn in specifically on the CPU and then do it again on the GPU.

barlew

Godlike
Ok so if you get it back and it still crashes try running Cinebench and see if it crashes. If you have 3D Mark try that after. Alternatively download Aida64 and run a burn in specifically on the CPU and then do it again on the GPU.

It should help to isolate what is causing the issue as one is CPU intensive the other GPU. (as you seem to have already cleared the RAM from the equation.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know. I asked through the phone what the process was, what the guy on the bench did, if he followed my instructions and whatnot. "We cannot disclose this" was the answer. The guy on the bench couldn't replicate the issue and that's all I'm gonna get.
Perhaps your instructions weren't comprehensive enough for PCS to reproduce the issue? Perhaps PCS didn't try hard enough to reproduce the issue if it didn't fail immediately?

I agree with @barlew, when it comes back, and if it still fails, take the time to document exactly what you do, including what else is running at the time, whether it's on battery or mains, the process you go through to load the game, etc.

Pretend that PCS know nothing about computers and start with 'press the power on button'. Leave nothing out, don't assume they know anything and be as descriptive as you can. What you want to provide are instructions that enable PCS to do exactly what you do.

It's much better to go overboard on these instructions than to assume that PCS must know what you mean.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
Perhaps your instructions weren't comprehensive enough for PCS to reproduce the issue? Perhaps PCS didn't try hard enough to reproduce the issue if it didn't fail immediately?

I agree with @barlew, when it comes back, and if it still fails, take the time to document exactly what you do, including what else is running at the time, whether it's on battery or mains, the process you go through to load the game, etc.

Pretend that PCS know nothing about computers and start with 'press the power on button'. Leave nothing out, don't assume they know anything and be as descriptive as you can. What you want to provide are instructions that enable PCS to do exactly what you do.

It's much better to go overboard on these instructions than to assume that PCS must know what you mean.
Okay. I'll do that. Although honestly all it took to crash was turn on the pc and launch any of the shortcuts on the desktop, then just wait half a minute for the title screen. It really surprises me that they'd need such instructions.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Okay. I'll do that. Although honestly all it took to crash was turn on the pc and launch any of the shortcuts on the desktop, then just wait half a minute for the title screen. It really surprises me that they'd need such instructions.
Well there are really three possibilities. One is that they were not able to reproduce the issue given the instructions you provided. The second is that they didn't follow your instructions. The third is that they didn't look at it at all.

Whilst 2 and 3 are technically possible I believe they are extremely unlikely, which just leaves number 1.

barlew

Godlike

So @ubuysa is spot on with this mate go back to complete basics and detail step by step what you did on the build up to the fault. You may think its unnecessary but something you may you do which in your mind is just common sense and does not need detailing may not actually occur to the tech looking at your laptop.

I'll give you a perfect example a few years ago I had a call from a high ranking member of my organisation to report he had no network activity on his machine. After some remote trouble shooting and scratching my head I decided his NIC had probably packed up. The user swore blind that everything was normal nothing had changed he just turned his computer on and it no longer worked.

I went over to his place of work to find that he had moved his office around and in doing so unplugged his computer from the tap in the wall and plugged it into a spare one where he had moved his desk. Low and behold port security kicked in and locked his computer out of the network.

Don't get me wrong that's an extreme example but it illustrates the point. Because he neglected to mention he had moved his desk I spent ages chasing my tail.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
That's unfortunate. So
So @ubuysa is spot on with this mate go back to complete basics and detail step by step what you did on the build up to the fault. You may think its unnecessary but something you may you do which in your mind is just common sense and does not need detailing may not actually occur to the tech looking at your laptop.

I'll give you a perfect example a few years ago I had a call from a high ranking member of my organisation to report he had no network activity on his machine. After some remote trouble shooting and scratching my head I decided his NIC had probably packed up. The user swore blind that everything was normal nothing had changed he just turned his computer on and it no longer worked.

I went over to his place of work to find that he had moved his office around and in doing so unplugged his computer from the tap in the wall and plugged it into a spare one where he had moved his desk. Low and behold port security kicked in and locked his computer out of the network.

Don't get me wrong that's an extreme example but it illustrates the point. Because he neglected to mention he had moved his desk I spent ages chasing my tail

barlew

Godlike
That's unfortunate. So

So what I am trying to illustrate in perhaps a tenuous way is that the user did not think it was relevant to the fault so didn't mention it. Hence the need for an idiot proof blow by blow story of absolutely everything you did up until the fault occurred.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
I see. Well I called again. Sat through another hour of waiting but this time the person I was speaking with clarified that they did run Dark souls 3 and Monster hunter world without any issues. I don't know why the other guy told me otherwise.
So what I am trying to illustrate in perhaps a tenuous way is that the user did not think it was relevant to the fault so didn't mention it. Hence the need for an idiot proof blow by blow story of absolutely everything you did up until the fault occurred.
Sorry I didn't mean to send that reply. I was writing the reply and got called and I must have accidentally pressed the post reply button. Sorry.

barlew

Godlike
I see. Well I called again. Sat through another hour of waiting but this time the person I was speaking with clarified that they did run Dark souls 3 and Monster hunter world without any issues. I don't know why the other guy told me otherwise.

Sorry I didn't mean to send that reply. I was writing the reply and got called and I must have accidentally pressed the post reply button. Sorry.

Alright mate so it seems like they have done the right thing. Fingers crossed for when it comes back. Let us know how it goes.

*Edit* Spelling

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There has to be a fundamental difference in the either the environment or the manner in which you and PCS are each running these games.

You can't both be doing the exact same thing.......

FerrariVie

Super Star
I will, thank you.
Even if you changed houses, there might still be something that is being used in both locations? Maybe a power extension/3-way adaptor/protector of some sort? Try connecting it directly to the wall to see if it makes any difference. Also try a couple of different wall sockets on your home, from different rooms.

There is also the possibility that PCS used their own AC adaptor, instead of trying yours. Hard to know for sure.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
There has to be a fundamental difference in the either the environment or the manner in which you and PCS are each running these games.

You can't both be doing the exact same thing.......
I'm not a tech guy so I don't know what other possible things could be affecting it. Surrounding technology doesn't seem to matter, or if the plug is faulty since no plug makes any difference. I have no clue why it doesn't want to work.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm not a tech guy so I don't know what other possible things could be affecting it. Surrounding technology doesn't seem to matter, or if the plug is faulty since no plug makes any difference. I have no clue why it doesn't want to work.
Me neither, but something has to be different. That's why it's important to document absolutely everything that you do to make it fail - no matter how obvious or insignificant.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
Been trying to contact them again but when I call I only get "the line you called is busy". Just how many people need to be in the queue for it to say that.