Any 3D game crashes my entire pc.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
If anybody has any clue as to what could be happening, I am all ears. I seriously don't want to wait for another 2 months for a repair.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
No, I didn't. It just worked. So I made a restore point. I have used that, and I have already done a fresh install today but it doesn't do anything. It didn't do anything when I had the same issue before the RMA either. Nothing Does. But I think I have just found the problem. The blasted PSU. I removed it on a whim and launched one of the apps. It worked fine. Obviously it ran like shit because laptops are designed to need constant charge to actually use their components well, but it launched, it rendered the highest settings and didn't crash. The second I put in the PSU while in a game, the pc crashes. I have the 180W PSU that I ordered from PCS when i bought the laptop. But still, they didn't replace it as far as I know. So why did my pc work when they gave it back to me? Why did the same PSU I have used since day 1 work, then not work, then work, then not work again? Should I have chosen the 150W PSU instead? And still why are benchmarks fine but games bad?

barlew

Godlike
No, I didn't. It just worked. So I made a restore point. I have used that, and I have already done a fresh install today but it doesn't do anything. It didn't do anything when I had the same issue before the RMA either. Nothing Does. But I think I have just found the problem. The blasted PSU. I removed it on a whim and launched one of the apps. It worked fine. Obviously it ran like shit because laptops are designed to need constant charge to actually use their components well, but it launched, it rendered the highest settings and didn't crash. The second I put in the PSU while in a game, the pc crashes. I have the 180W PSU that I ordered from PCS when i bought the laptop. But still, they didn't replace it as far as I know. So why did my pc work when they gave it back to me? Why did the same PSU I have used since day 1 work, then not work, then work, then not work again? Should I have chosen the 150W PSU instead? And still why are benchmarks fine but games bad?

I cant say I am familiar with the Optimus model. So when you order one you are given the option between the 150W and 180W PSU?

*edit* Further to your post, synthetic benchmarks are great for getting a quick and dirty level of where your system is at and its stabillity. They are generally crap for giving you an idea of real world performance. It would appear that the games are probably very briefly taxing the system harder or in a different way to the benchmark.

My guess is like you have identified the game is briefly trying to draw more power and the PSU for whatever reason isn't supplying it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a laptop, so I'd now be looking at the battery. Since it's power demanding games that crash it, a flaky battery might not be able to supply peak power - even with the power brick plugged in. A flaky battery could be sucking power from the power brick but not supplying it to the laptop.

If you put the battery on charge with the laptop fully shutdown and off for 24 hours, how long will the laptop run with normal use on battery alone (with the power brick out)?

barlew

Godlike
It's a laptop, so I'd now be looking at the battery. Since it's power demanding games that crash it, a flaky battery might not be able to supply peak power - even with the power brick plugged in. A flaky battery could be sucking power from the power brick but not supplying it to the laptop.

If you put the battery on charge with the laptop fully shutdown and off for 24 hours, how long will the laptop run with normal use on battery alone (with the power brick out)?

A slight segway and for my own interest then @ubuysa I was always under the impression that when a laptop was switched to mains power, the power was supplied directly by the mains and the battery was taken out of line until the plug was pulled again. Is this not the case? Does the battery still supply the laptop?

*edit* - Disregard the laptop batteries do operate as I illustrated which is why you can remove them and the laptop will still work on battery power. Also OP does not have the issue when he switches to battery power.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A slight segway and for my own interest then @ubuysa I was always under the impression that when a laptop was switched to mains power, the power was supplied directly by the mains and the battery was taken out of line until the plug was pulled again. Is this not the case? Does the battery still supply the laptop?
I don't know is the honest answer, but I very strongly suspect that the battery always supplys power if its there. The power brick just charges it I reckon.

The OP could try removing that battery and just run it on the power brick. If it is a flaky battery it will work fine in that state.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster

I don't really understand the question. If I put the battery in my laptop while shut down for 24 hours, making sure it's fully charged, the laptop will run for about 3 hours idle.

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
I don't know is the honest answer, but I very strongly suspect that the battery always supplys power if its there. The power brick just charges it I reckon.

The OP could try removing that battery and just run it on the power brick. If it is a flaky battery it will work fine in that state.
Good idea, will do.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't really understand the question. If I put the battery in my laptop while shut down for 24 hours, making sure it's fully charged, the laptop will run for about 3 hours idle.
Then that sounds fine. Do you still get this issue if you remove the battery and just run on the power brick?

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
Okay, as if this couldn't make any LESS sense, today I tried to turn on a game without removing the battery. And (for now) it works fine.....It just decided to work. For no reason. I did nothing different. I only just turned on a game and it works. I am.....buffled.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay, as if this couldn't make any LESS sense, today I tried to turn on a game without removing the battery. And (for now) it works fine.....It just decided to work. For no reason. I did nothing different. I only just turned on a game and it works. I am.....buffled.
Check your windows update history, had anything applied recently?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sod's law at work again.... [emoji12]

Iraklis Pazios

Bronze Level Poster
So, it's either that
1. PSU keeps overheating and then works again when cooled down.
2. Same but it's the battery
3. Same but it's GPU.

Are those possible?