ATI HD Radeon 5870 - Specification Error?

Tom DWC

The HD 5870 1GB is said to have GDDR3 memory. The rest of the series, including the HD 5870 2GB are said to have GDDR5. This is the same on all configuration selections. Do you stock a different variant or is this a typo?

Just thought I'd point it out. :confused:

Screenshots can be viewed by visiting this web page.

Last edited:

Matt00011

Silver Level Poster
I have spotted another typo aswell.

On the graphic card information help page the 1gb ATI HD 5770 is listed as needing a 600 watt PSU, when infact it can run on a 450 watt.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I dont think thats a typo,i think it could be them just trying to be safe. Its what i thought when i saw it first anyway.

Matt00011

Silver Level Poster
I dont think thats a typo,i think it could be them just trying to be safe. Its what i thought when i saw it first anyway.

Well on the ATI website it says the 5770 only requires a 450watt PSU, also if thats the case that they are trying to be "safe", why is the 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 listed as 450watt minimum required when it actually infact uses more power? ;)

Sleinous

Author Level
It doesnt use anywhere near 450W, 450W is what an entire system on average would include, plus an allowance. (Usually a large on in Nvidia's case).

Matt00011

Silver Level Poster
It doesnt use anywhere near 450W, 450W is what an entire system on average would include, plus an allowance. (Usually a large on in Nvidia's case).

I'm aware of that mate, I was referring to the power supply. A 5770 runs fine on a minimum required 450watt PSU so why have it listed as needing a 600watt PSU? Like I said the more powerful Nvidia card uses more juice but is listed as only needing a 450watt PSU.

Gorman

Author Level
Indeed, 600w seems a bit steep for a 5770 which is essentially a small child drawing with an orange crayon and paper in gpu form. Not very demanding at all.

I really am in an ATI bashing mood today, not sure why.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Indeed, 600w seems a bit steep for a 5770 which is essentially a small child drawing with an orange crayon and paper in gpu form. Not very demanding at all.

I really am in an ATI bashing mood today, not sure why.

Upset that the GTX460 has been kicked from it's position in the market :) ?

Gorman

Author Level
Upset that the GTX460 has been kicked from it's position in the market :) ?

Not at all, i am on record here stating many times "GTX460?, man up and get a proper GPU".

And you know that these 6xxx releases smack of rebranding fail!

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Not at all, i am on record here stating many times "GTX460?, man up and get a proper GPU".

And you know that these 6xxx releases smack of rebranding fail!

Well it may appear so at first but it AMD didn't want to totally kill off their 5700 series sales so it makes sense to go in a different direction.

Sleinous

Author Level
I'm aware of that mate, I was referring to the power supply. A 5770 runs fine on a minimum required 450watt PSU so why have it listed as needing a 600watt PSU? Like I said the more powerful Nvidia card uses more juice but is listed as only needing a 450watt PSU.

To cover yourself for legal reasons. Incase one suddenley backfires and tries to draw an insane amount from the PSU and mess up both components.