Call of Duty Console vs PC?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I loved Modern Warfare 1, and enjoyed MW2, and as PC games are normally cheaper I am considering MW3 for PC (only after i've played BF3 'til the disk is dust however).

Is there a big difference between the COD games on console and PC? I've always had the impression that they are mainly aimed and developed for the console market? Are the graphics any better for PC? The engine they are using seems pretty dated now but it would be good to know the game looked better on PC!

I may even get Black Ops to keep me entertained whilst it's cheap...

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Game deffinately looks better on PC, the port from xbox to ps3 was terrible on blackops, hence why graphics are terrabad on the ps3 version.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Watch some videos of ANY shooter game on youtube, even take the best players on consoles, and compare the gameplay to PC players. Shooters on consoles are slow and sluggish. No matter how good you are, you cannot move your aim around as precise, accurate and fast as you can with a mouse+keyboard combo. Consoles use those silly mini joysticks where you can only utilize your finger, and rely on the sensitivity of the stick, whereas the mouse you use your fingers, wrist and full arm depending on the situation.

Personally I think consoles are only good for 2D fighting games and racing games, that's it. And the graphics on consoles will always be worse. Maybe the PS4, or Xbox 520 (just guessing names now xD) will have graphics equal to a SLI GTX 590 or something similar, but it'll only be as good as a PC for a matter of months, then PC's pull a head yet again.

So PC's are better at gameplay, and graphics, only thing consoles are better at, is the price. But if you include a good TV in the console price, all the sudden it's more or less the same.

I just personally think consoles are for families, not gamers.
Give your kid a xbox for christmas and the whole family can enjoy it in the living room, where as proper gaming is done on a Desktop PC.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Watch some videos of ANY shooter game on youtube, even take the best players on consoles, and compare the gameplay to PC players. Shooters on consoles are slow and sluggish. No matter how good you are, you cannot move your aim around as precise, accurate and fast as you can with a mouse+keyboard combo. Consoles use those silly mini joysticks where you can only utilize your finger, and rely on the sensitivity of the stick, whereas the mouse you use your fingers, wrist and full arm depending on the situation.

Personally I think consoles are only good for 2D fighting games and racing games, that's it. And the graphics on consoles will always be worse. Maybe the PS4, or Xbox 520 (just guessing names now xD) will have graphics equal to a SLI GTX 590 or something similar, but it'll only be as good as a PC for a matter of months, then PC's pull a head yet again.

So PC's are better at gameplay, and graphics, only thing consoles are better at, is the price. But if you include a good TV in the console price, all the sudden it's more or less the same.

I just personally think consoles are for families, not gamers.
Give your kid a xbox for christmas and the whole family can enjoy it in the living room, where as proper gaming is done on a Desktop PC.

I think I disagree on pretty much every point haha :)

I dont think it makes a difference abotu the sticks. Sure put PC vs PS3 or Xbox and PC would own because of the accuracy, however, when playing on a console you are playing against people with the same hardware, the fct that everyone is using a joystick makes no difference, infact id go as far as to say that a console is actually fairer, since havign a really amazing gaming mouse or awesome graphics card / processor is not necessary, everyone has the same.

I think consoles are a lot better than you make out, I am an avid gamer / game developer and personally I think multiplayer games whether FPS, Racing, will always have a massive place on consoles, people liek to sit on their sofa after work and relax playing games, I knwo I do. I love playing my PC however, I still use my consoles a lot because its more relaxing tbh.

As for the TV, most families who buy consoles have a TV already, most families also wont buy a bigger screen just because thye are buying a console. And in most cases TV's they already own are bigger than PC monitors anyway.

Consoles are family machines, however I think they are also very good gamer machiens too.

MeveM

Bright Spark
We don't seem to agree on much you and I! xD
But ye, I think it's a matter of preference, I have a very comfy PC chair, and I find it far more comfortable to sit by my PC then with a console controller in the sofa, then again, I like having the screen so far away.

I see what you mean about the fairness though, since everyone have the same, the only thing that differs is the players skill. But if Xbox and PC's could play on the same servers, the xbox players would be thrashed.

I've never really been able to play shooters on a console though, that's just me personal not being able to handle it, I can't run, strafe, crouch, aim and shoot all at the same time, I have to run, stop, aim, shoot, reaim, shoot. I just can't handle the controler. But they're awesome for Racing games, if you don't have a wheel for your PC, you have to sit and tap the keys to get those precise turns, whilst the sticks on the console controllers are much better there.

Yet I stick to my opinion that I think consoles are more of a casual family involved type of gameplay. I couldn't sit with a headset and do intense gaming with voicecom etc on a console, not in a million years.

Quite funny this, I'm not a console fan, yet I've got a PS3, Xbox360 and a Wii... they're collecting dust though, last thing I played on them was assassins creed 2.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I used to have an Xbox 360 and I'd go out and by all the CoD games when they came out... Even though I said wasn't going to, This being soley due to the fact that I didnt have an awesome system to run them on.

Eventually over the years I grew tired of the CoD series, Tired of the little 11 year old squeakers who thought they were pro because they could noobtube you from 2 feet away. I ended up buying MW2 and Black Ops on Steam during a little splurge fest and I have to say it really makes a huge difference on PC

With Black Ops you play on Dedicated servers, most servers are sensible and ban things like noobtubes, last stand, commando ect or you can host your own dedicated server (for a fee ofc) and play it the way you want too

I wasn't going to get MW3 but after watching the Call of Duty XP news conference I think they have changed my mind... Still getting BF3 over MW3 but I will pick it up eventually

Oh and as of recent, I have sold my 360 ^^

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Oh, lets not make this an all out PC v Console (read 360) debate :)

Reason being there is no debate, PC > Consoles in every which way :D

mishra

Rising Star
One version is controlled by pad other by mouse. There is only one clear winner for me.
Not to mention there are no new consoles around, ps and xbox are so out-of-date nowadays :(

Only two type of games I would always pick on console rather than PC, are racing games and games aka Tekken (not sure what's that genre called)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Oh, lets not make this an all out PC v Console (read 360) debate :)

Reason being there is no debate, PC > Consoles in every which way :D

Id agree on technical specs. Performance is much better on PC.

I would also disagree though, I think the Xbox ommunity is brilliant, PC and PS3 could learn alot from the way the xbox community runs, the fact is when playing pc games, not a huge amount of people talk, same goes for PS3, on xbox about 80% - 90% of people chat. yeah you get soem annoying kids, but you get that on all consoles and unfortunately in real life too, but If I had to chose one gaming device to be used soley for multiplayer it would eb the 360 hands down.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Why on Earth would I want to talk to a bunch of randomers playing CoD?

When I play CS:S, I sometimes use voice chat, but that is only when on UKMD servers.

Similarly I use TS for WoW, but only with people I know/guild etc.

And I wouldnt class any gaming community better than any other...they are all full of douchebags, and simiarly have lots of great people in :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Why on Earth would I want to talk to a bunch of randomers playing CoD?

When I play CS:S, I sometimes use voice chat, but that is only when on UKMD servers.

Similarly I use TS for WoW, but only with people I know/guild etc.

And I wouldnt class any gaming community better than any other...they are all full of douchebags, and simiarly have lots of great people in :)

I think half the fun of playing online is talking to new people, ive met plenty of really great people playign online and quite a few of which are part of my racing team now. I guess its different for different people but I get extremely bored playing games and not talking to people at the same time, whther |I know them or not.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Yes, it's great to talk to people whilst playing. But that's just it, people, there's so few of them in the online community. I don't class the annoying, greedy, selfish, self obsessed, general douchebags, and annoying children, as people.

I agree, multiplaying is all about talking to people, but, there's a reason why old school LAN's were so great, you had them with people you knew. And if some random annoying kiddo came along at a LAN, you could make them go away. You cannot make the annoying ones go away online.

I've spent 6 years+ in WoW for example, and I've only found a hand full of guilds whom have a nice friendly community, rest are just selfish muppets who don't give a toss about anyone else, that's the effect the internet has on gaming.

And in shooter games, anyone whos better then you, is a cheater. Clearly they've got aimbots or wall hacks.

So ye, no thanks, no public voicechats in my games please.

Problem is also, people like me, I'm now that negative about it all that it's hard to actually meet someone decent, because you don't give anyone a fair chance. Sad chain effect :(

Mattyp

Enthusiast
The dedicated servers alone seem to make COD preferable on PC. Glad to hear the graphics are better as well, considering they are still using the MW engine!

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Call of Duty 360 sucks in comparison to PC when on a Max settings capable computer. Plus there isn't a billion noob tubers on pc.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Call of Duty 360 sucks in comparison to PC when on a Max settings capable computer. Plus there isn't a billion noob tubers on pc.

People use grenade launchers on Console because it's impossible to aim with those muppet controls.

Dayve

Shooters will always be better on the PC until they have mouse+keyboard compatibility for consoles. Even if it's just a tiny keyboard with only 8 buttons on it. It's much easier to turn and aim with a mouse, especially if your target is above or below. That's why a lot of shooters on the console have aim assist. Point your gun kinda close to the enemy, the aimer will help you out. Shoddy console-to-PC ports like Crysis 2 don't even bother to take the aimer out, so in the options for the game on the PC you can turn on the console aimer. It's sacrilege I tell you.

With BF3 so near though, I don't see why you would be even thinking about CoD, it's like comparing a restaurant quality steak to a lidl homebrand beefburger that's only 2% beef and 98% cardboard.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Shooters will always be better on the PC until they have mouse+keyboard compatibility for consoles. Even if it's just a tiny keyboard with only 8 buttons on it. It's much easier to turn and aim with a mouse, especially if your target is above or below. That's why a lot of shooters on the console have aim assist. Point your gun kinda close to the enemy, the aimer will help you out. Shoddy console-to-PC ports like Crysis 2 don't even bother to take the aimer out, so in the options for the game on the PC you can turn on the console aimer. It's sacrilege I tell you.

With BF3 so near though, I don't see why you would be even thinking about CoD, it's like comparing a restaurant quality steak to a lidl homebrand beefburger that's only 2% beef and 98% cardboard.

Utter rubbish lol, for a noob it may be hard to aim on a console, I know its slower than a pc, but still aiming accurately on sticks is not that difficult. You just get used to small movements of sticks over time. Just like when you see someone play something like forza for the first time, theyre all over the place, they cant stick to the kerbs perfectly, they site ft away from the kerbs, but take someone like me who races everyday or any of the other people in top 100 on most tracks and the precise movement needed to make sure you gain every last 0.001 of a second is literally minute, but practise with a controller helps you achieve that. Its no different with shooting games.

As for the BF3 CoD argument, they are different games. I wish people would stop trying to compare them, I think your comparison of steak to crap meat is a pretty rubbish comparison, id actually say its more like a fine steak to a fine chocolate cake. They are both very good at what they do, they are both entertaining, and just ebcause you love battlefield, does not mean you have to hate CoD just to sound "cool" on a forum. I think people are far too quick to jump into these stupid arguments, just like the 360 vs Ps3 argument (btw 360 is better lolol)

Corfate

Author Level
I prefer CoD To Battlefield, as CoD is more fast paced.. Guess thats just my preference, both look like mint games though! :) Also, im looking forward to F1 2011 coming out :D