Call of Duty Console vs PC?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Frenchy, you dont realise every time you tell someone that says BF > CoD they are wrong and its just their opinion...you are simply stating your own opinion :)

None of us are right, none of us are wrong :D

Apart from those that thing CoD is better of course!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Frenchy, you dont realise every time you tell someone that says BF > CoD they are wrong and its just their opinion...you are simply stating your own opinion :)

None of us are right, none of us are wrong :D

Apart from those that thing CoD is better of course!

Im not stating either is better, im simply saying that its not possible to compare the two, they are two completely different types of game. Infact in my eyes, its as big a difference as comparing a racing game with a shooter. They are different games entirely and designed with a different gameplay style in mind, both perform that gameplay style very well. The problem I have is people coming on and saying, "yeah cod is terrible and BF3 is awesome" yet they have nothing to back it up, they havent played cod mw3, they have no idea what its like. From the trailers it looks pretty different to old ones so not really able to compare against those either. Its just impossible for someone to have a factually based opinion at this time because not enough is known about the game to compare with BF3

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think you may be suffering from slight delusions Frenchy :) You cannot argue in any way that BF and CoD are "completely different games" and comparing them is like comparing "a racing game with a shooter" is just absurd!

And actually, much of what has been said in these threads is not about MW3 or BF3, but about the series in general, with the former disappointing many fans of the older games.

Certainly they appeal to different people (games will always be like that), but the CoD team rested far too much on their laurels with the last 2/3 games that you can't really blame proper PC Gamers from being apprehensive at best about the latest offering :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I think you may be suffering from slight delusions Frenchy :) You cannot argue in any way that BF and CoD are "completely different games" and comparing them is like comparing "a racing game with a shooter" is just absurd!

And actually, much of what has been said in these threads is not about MW3 or BF3, but about the series in general, with the former disappointing many fans of the older games.

Certainly they appeal to different people (games will always be like that), but the CoD team rested far too much on their laurels with the last 2/3 games that you can't really blame proper PC Gamers from being apprehensive at best about the latest offering :)

Dont see why it has anythign to do with whether they are a "proper PC gamer", its the same argument for consoles.

The reason I say they are completely different games is that battlefield 3, as the name suggests is war on a big battlefield, its about the vehicles, about the tactics of flanking, about the long distance sniping, about the teamwork. CoD however is not about that at all, its a much faster paced game, the objective of which is very different and maps sizes a lot smaller.

In those respects I still maintain that you cant compare the two, as they are very different games.

Also judging a game that hasn't been released, on its predecessors, is absurd. I could say BF3 will be rubbish based on the fact one of the console versions in the past (the one where you can switch in and out of different peoples bodies) was absolute rubbish.

Dayve

Utter rubbish lol, for a noob it may be hard to aim on a console, I know its slower than a pc, but still aiming accurately on sticks is not that difficult. You just get used to small movements of sticks over time. Just like when you see someone play something like forza for the first time, theyre all over the place, they cant stick to the kerbs perfectly, they site ft away from the kerbs, but take someone like me who races everyday or any of the other people in top 100 on most tracks and the precise movement needed to make sure you gain every last 0.001 of a second is literally minute, but practise with a controller helps you achieve that. Its no different with shooting games.

As for the BF3 CoD argument, they are different games. I wish people would stop trying to compare them, I think your comparison of steak to crap meat is a pretty rubbish comparison, id actually say its more like a fine steak to a fine chocolate cake. They are both very good at what they do, they are both entertaining, and just ebcause you love battlefield, does not mean you have to hate CoD just to sound "cool" on a forum. I think people are far too quick to jump into these stupid arguments, just like the 360 vs Ps3 argument (btw 360 is better lolol)

Well, you put 32 PC users Vs 32 console users in a battle in BF3 and I guarantee a whitewash the likes of which hasn't been seen since the defeat of France in 1940.

I suppose I will agree that it's mostly opinion in the CoD Vs BF debate. I prefer a game where I have to think and where my actions can have a real effect on the direction of a round. If myself and 2 or 3 clan members group up and follow a strategy and communicate on TS we can turn a round in a completely different direction. If we're getting reamed we can rectify the situation by denying the enemy the spawn place they're using to spawn so close to our team and do the reaming, or any number of other strategies from simply planting ourselves in a good firing position to sneaking in to their base and sabotaging their artillery pieces/helicopters/tanks/jets/etc.

In CoD you can have as many people on the microphone as you damn well want, the game isn't about thinking or strategy, it's about fast paced killing and nothing more. I don't like that, it's too arcade-like. I have a brain, I like to use it.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Well, you put 32 PC users Vs 32 console users in a battle in BF3 and I guarantee a whitewash the likes of which hasn't been seen since the defeat of France in 1940.

I have never said that console would stand a chance against PC, however, they would never ever need to, the point is that if you are on a console you are against other people ont hat same console, if you are on a PC you are against other people with keyboard and mouse.

You cant comparethe console and PC by saying that PC gamers would own console gamers in a match, not in shooters anyway. Racing games yes, but not shooters.

Dayve

I have never said that console would stand a chance against PC, however, they would never ever need to, the point is that if you are on a console you are against other people ont hat same console, if you are on a PC you are against other people with keyboard and mouse.

You cant comparethe console and PC by saying that PC gamers would own console gamers in a match, not in shooters anyway. Racing games yes, but not shooters.

You can get used to using a dpad/stick yeah, but the mouse and keyboard still is the better option for any type of FPS game. Therefore if the guy has both platforms and needs to decide which one to get the game for, the only sensible option is PC. Better controlls, better graphics, better online play.

As for PC and consoles not being able to face each other, I bet they will with the next gen of consoles. It's already being hinted at. I'm also pretty sure the next gen consoles will have some sort of keyboard+mouse controller as well as the traditional console dpad. Even if it's only a keyboard with WSAD SHIFT CTRL C and SpcBar.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
You can get used to using a dpad/stick yeah, but the mouse and keyboard still is the better option for any type of FPS game. Therefore if the guy has both platforms and needs to decide which one to get the game for, the only sensible option is PC. Better controlls, better graphics, better online play.

As for PC and consoles not being able to face each other, I bet they will with the next gen of consoles. It's already being hinted at. I'm also pretty sure the next gen consoles will have some sort of keyboard+mouse controller as well as the traditional console dpad. Even if it's only a keyboard with WSAD SHIFT CTRL C and SpcBar.

I honestly very much doubt they will go against eachother in the same servers, specific types of games like racing games will and some games already have, however FPS games wont.

I cant see hwo you can just say "the only sensible option is PC". Graphically yes generally PC is better, although tbh if you look at games such as GT5, id love o see a single game on PC including battlefield and crysis that have better looking graphics. Online play, I disagree with PC being better, I actually think Xox is far far better online. Control style I think has its advantages and disadvantages on both,I play both a lot and find both as easy as each other. You need to realise though that you say its much quicker to shoot someone or aim at someone on PC than on console, but it doeasnt matter at all since they dont play against eachother. If ps3 is generally slower at aiming than pc, then all players in that lobby will have that same speed difference.

As I said though, its very doubtful they will ever link FPS games into the same servers from console to PC as the disadvantage to console gamers would be far too great. This is not however a statement saying console is less good than PC.

Corfate

Author Level
Cant wait, 23rd :D I got mine preordered from game and on steam, so whichever lets me play first lol

Im going to be absolutely shocking at it when it comes out.. It'll be the first driving game i'll have played on the PC, apart from Most Wanted, which is a freaking great game might i add!

So many games i want this year.. Going to be broke by christmas! :(

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I agree with Frenchy in most respects here. I have been a user of the xbox360 as long as it has been out; and i have also been a pc gamer for probably the same time. Given the right sensitivity settings, the right user, and the right hand/eye coordination I dont think there is any clear advantage to using a mouse in any game. The dpi input of the mouse is better, but skill still takes over a little here.

Shadowrun (a microsoft release) used to flawlessly integrate pc and xbox360 gamers into a fps game online against each other and i dont think the pc gamers were always clear winners there. Admittedly it was a bit of a small scale title (still fun) but showed that this can easily be done. There was no disadvantage to console users and the game showed quite clearly that they can compete. I was crap at it by the way. :(

I also think the xbox360 unfortunately is currently (and will always be) better than the pc when it comes to online gaming; just because there are more people online more of the time and every (decent) release is automatically set up to find people to play with no matter what time. The lack of lobby systems on xbox live games is sometimes frustrating but that doesnt take away from the fact that on the pc on some games it is more than difficult to find a game.

The comparitively poor games for windows live vs the excellent xbox live service is proof enough im afraid of pc users lack of options for online gaming. They simply havent got this right on the pc yet and with so many people opposed to drm such as this it possibly never will be. With the tools the pc has compared to consoles it should be years ahead in terms of online gaming but the community makes up much of online gaming and as much as i hate screaming 12 year olds on xbox live there is nothing better than having those people there to play against 100% of the time. The system works great; lag on most games is non existent; and any other platform needs to work hard to compete. I owned a PS3 for a time, and oh dear. There is an example of how online gaming can be done wrong. It is getting better, but still nowhere near Microsoft's efforts, and for that reason at the very least (there are many more) the 360 reigns supreme.

All of that being said, I simply prefer the options/tinkering/performance etc. of the pc and the fantastic end product you can achieve with it in games; and consoles will never manage to beat that. My 360 gathers dust most of the time; but im still looking forward to the next gen of console efforts. AS for battlefield vs cod; I think they are very different games, and both equally fun in there own right. You shouldnt have to choose one or the other (budget allowing!).

MeveM

Bright Spark
Console VS PC depends a lot on the country you live in. I'm not British, so once I got here many years ago I found that when I walk into a game shop all I can see is console games and one shelf for PC games, whilst back in Sweden, it was the complete opposite, hardly anyone has a console there. I find that Britain is a very console based gaming community.

But regarding above comment that there's more "people" online at all times on consoles? I wouldn't class over aggressive children/teenagers as people. At which point we get back to the point of online chat in games, I really don't want to talk to these kiddos who got a xbox for christmas and taking out their bottled up anger on online gamers instead of the bullies in school.

And sorry but no, there is no way you can ever do the same movements in FPS's on a console, above poster said you can? I have never, ever been able to crouch, strafe, aim, shoot at the same time, you put your fingers in such a web that it's like playing that game on the floor when you put your hands and feet on different colours etc.

Only thing I agree with what's good about consoles is that it's a lot more fair when it comes to hardware. someone with a really good PC will have a advantage over someone with a bad one.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
And sorry but no, there is no way you can ever do the same movements in FPS's on a console, above poster said you can? I have never, ever been able to crouch, strafe, aim, shoot at the same time, you put your fingers in such a web that it's like playing that game on the floor when you put your hands and feet on different colours etc.

How do you have any less control on a console? you have the same amount of fingers I assume? if so then you can press the same amount of buttons, which means logically you can do the same stuff. I know I can do everything you mentioned on console and pc.

MeveM

Bright Spark
So what do you do to achieve that? Since one stick turns and doesn't strafe, you use one finger to shoot, one to crouch, so how do you do the strafing? Exactly how do you achieve that? Can't quite remember now how you strafe, but you certainly don't use the left stick to do it, so you need to spas around with your fingers and hands on something as small as a console controler, or in some situations you need to pop it on your lap, and press buttons from the top, it's just not convienient, and no matter how you say it, it's not as easily achieved as on a mouse/keyboard, ultimately making it inferiour.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
So what do you do to achieve that? Since one stick turns and doesn't strafe, you use one finger to shoot, one to crouch, so how do you do the strafing? Exactly how do you achieve that? Can't quite remember now how you strafe, but you certainly don't use the left stick to do it, so you need to spas around with your fingers and hands on something as small as a console controler, or in some situations you need to pop it on your lap, and press buttons from the top, it's just not convienient, and no matter how you say it, it's not as easily achieved as on a mouse/keyboard, ultimately making it inferiour.

Not at all, infact i find it just as easy on both.

Strafe left stick, move left stick, aim right stick, left trigger pull to aim, right trigger pull to shoot, right bumper hold to crouch, left bumper click to throw grenade, all pressable at once, and i dont have to put my hands in awkward positions.

Same with racing a lot of people dont understand hwo you can use a clutch on a controller, but its just something you get used to.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Oh ye nevermind, you strafe and move back/forward with the left, and the right stick you aim, so you're telling me you can move, aim, shoot, crouch at the same time? So whilst your right hand's 4 fingers are under your controler, you use the thumb to aim, and crouch at the same time? No, sorry. So you have to drop it to your lap.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I might just be thick, but it doesn't add up to me. My problem is the right stick, and the green button at the same time with the right thumb.

Personally I think they need to get some better controlers, give some buttons underneath on the holding bit for the 3 fingers that are more or less useless holding the controler. Enough space for 6 buttons for those 6 useless fingers.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I might just be thick, but it doesn't add up to me. My problem is the right stick, and the green button at the same time with the right thumb.

Personally I think they need to get some better controlers, give some buttons underneath on the holding bit for the 3 fingers that are more or less useless holding the controler. Enough space for 6 buttons for those 6 useless fingers.

Im not using the green button for anything, green button is A which I never mentioned on previous post.

Oh ye nevermind, you strafe and move back/forward with the left, and the right stick you aim, so you're telling me you can move, aim, shoot, crouch at the same time? So whilst your right hand's 4 fingers are under your controler, you use the thumb to aim, and crouch at the same time? No, sorry. So you have to drop it to your lap.

strafe and move with left thumb, its just a stick to move, aim with right thumb on right stick, click left stick to run, easy wehn your thumb is there already, depending on control style, right stick click to crouch or first finger on RB to crouch, first finger on left hand on LB for grenades. Second (think thats index lol) on both hands on the triggers, left trigger for aiming down sight, right trigger for shooting. I dont see why you would need to put it down on your lap?

MeveM

Bright Spark
Suppose it makes more sence if you press down the stick, that's not default though is it? surely the bottom button of the buttons on the right is crouch, or is that jump, anyway, I've personally always had trouble pressing down the stick whilst moving it around. But you're right, it's personal preference, but I still stick to the idea that movements are better on PC, but yet again, you did make a point about xbox vs xbox is fairer then pc vs pc, but if it was pc vs xbox, pc would win. So if it was down to advising someone which to choose, if the person owns both a PC and a xbox, I'd advise PC any day.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Suppose it makes more sence if you press down the stick, that's not default though is it? surely the bottom button of the buttons on the right is crouch, or is that jump, anyway, I've personally always had trouble pressing down the stick whilst moving it around. But you're right, it's personal preference, but I still stick to the idea that movements are better on PC, but yet again, you did make a point about xbox vs xbox is fairer then pc vs pc, but if it was pc vs xbox, pc would win. So if it was down to advising someone which to choose, if the person owns both a PC and a xbox, I'd advise PC any day.

Lol your argument is flawed though, your advising someone to get pc because a pc player would own a 360 player. This would never haoppen though since the games are not cross platform. Actually the advise I think you should be giving is if they want to relax infront fo the telly with soem mates playing call of duty or some other game then they should get a console, if they want to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard then they should get a pc.

Most people arent that bothered between the graphics of a pc and graphics of a console so I think that part of the argument doesnt really stand up. Coming back to racing games, I can guarantee that 99% of peopel woudl be more impressed with GT5 graphics than graphics on any racing game on pc, and in fact, probably from most games on pc.