Computer crash.

Sleinous

Author Level
Took out my old gpu from my computer,while working i was walking on thick carpet. I had to move across to put gpu in the packaging. But before i did anything in computer or on gpu i made sure i touched metail parts and discharged myself. For further safety i plueed the pc in and turned off at the socket and the psu level. Am really paranoid and need some assurance. Also when pulling out gpu and powercable from gpu,is it meant to be hard...cos it was for me...but its my first time so have nothing to compare to. But like x2 harder than pulling ram out. Hopefully i didnt mess up with any of the pci slots. I so gotta take a picture of the inside of my pc and make sure or else i will be just paranoid all day and freak out. And i cant even turn on and check my pc as i dont have a graphics card in...which is a big fail by me :D. Anyway any comments are welcome,and tell me about your experiences with static electricity :D

My experience so far is nil, touch wood - pun intended.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Pcs and sleinous you 2 are heroes. You have no idea how relieved i am atm. I would hate to be a computer technician....its so easy to easily kill 1000s of pounds worth of equipment.

Sleinous

Author Level
Pcs and sleinous you 2 are heroes. You have no idea how relieved i am atm. I would hate to be a computer technician....its so easy to easily kill 1000s of pounds worth of equipment.

Yes, and then be tagged a mass hardware murdered (MHM) :)

Shibin

Enthusiast
Lol sleinous,gorman would find a good comeback to that :d....i guess am not upto it. Anyway i was even more scared as i dont have a anti static wrist band etc. I used the touch metal technique and keeping pc wired in. So 1 hand on metal while other on components :D

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You need to ensure you touch metal that is earthed, such as your radiator.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Yep i touch the inside parts of my case,which is fine...i have been told. Because it apparentely makes the charge neutral between the pc and yourself. And the pc itself is earthed when i work on it as psu wire is connected to socket.

Last edited:

Shibin

Enthusiast
Am in a bit of a dilemma. Got my new gpu today,but i cant uninstall the old drivers and completely re-install th os as i cant connect a monitor. As i removed the old gpu i cant connect a monitor and if i put in the new gpu it might be broken by the bad drivers. Any help?

Shibin

Enthusiast
I want to uinstall and reinstall the os as am pretty sure the drivers caused the first gpu to fail,i want to start fresh if you get what i mean. Thanks for the quick reply.
Also sleinous on the matter of static. When i had to check my ram when i was told to find the fault with my computer i just touched the pc case while i was working with the ram. Ie: the pc wasnt plugged in. Today reading around i see i was supposed to have the pc plugged in...am really worried. Would touching the pc case be fine?..when installing dvd drive i just touched the pc case. but when uninstalling gpu i had the pc plugged in. Yeh so i guess i will have to put gpu in the do a uninstall and install. ='(.
Why do things fail so badly for me.

Sleinous

Author Level
I wouldnt worry about it, youd have to be exceedingly unlucky to fry the RAM. Youll have to wait for the monitor to come back unless you hav a TV handy?

Shibin

Enthusiast
I have the monitor from my old computer which is horrible. I could use it but still the point is i would have to install the graphics card to connect the monitor,so meaning the graphic card uses the faulty drivers.

Sleinous

Author Level
Oh, I see what you mean, plug the monitor in, keep tapping F8, and chose to boot in safe mode. (This uses Standard VGA Graphics Adapter driver). Then uninstall the drivers for your card. Reboot, reinstall windows etc etc :)

Shibin

Enthusiast
Dude,your a genius!!!.......i get exactly what you mean now. So i wont be usuing any drivers. Ok so after i reboot how do i make sure the disk loads first?

Sleinous

Author Level
Again, keep tapping F8, select the DVD drive as the boot medium. The other method, is to move the DVD drive up to the top position in BIOS boot priority. When it says "Press any key to load from CD..." Press a key.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Installed gpu today in my computer,everything seems to be running smoothly and gpu seems to show amazing temps. old gpu was 78ish running stone giant maxed and 1920 x 1080. New gpu is 52ish maxed except that res is 1024 x 768 but thats still a lot of difference,i hope its good results. Just need my monitor and its gonna be great. Comp is smooth etc,updated bios and everything,did diagnosis etc etc...basically did lots. All i gotta do now is install all the random stuff like shockwave player and urban terror(game i play)

Sleinous

Author Level
Installed gpu today in my computer,everything seems to be running smoothly and gpu seems to show amazing temps. old gpu was 78ish running stone giant maxed and 1920 x 1080. New gpu is 52ish maxed except that res is 1024 x 768 but thats still a lot of difference,i hope its good results. Just need my monitor and its gonna be great. Comp is smooth etc,updated bios and everything,did diagnosis etc etc...basically did lots. All i gotta do now is install all the random stuff like shockwave player and urban terror(game i play)

Looks like its sorted then! :D