Computer crash.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Huh gorman am confused?...ok i do believe/trust you..but i was saying what i got told by the tech support. What is ur point btw :D. All am saying is my comp crashes/artefacts/stutters on 3d games.....be it demos/pre-releases and i just want it fixed =(. As the guy said its a driver problem i cant really change my gpu.

ps:Still havent got the test results that the tech support said they will send to me asap

Maestro

Unfortunately that is the problem, you have not been able to tell us if the pc crashes / artefacts on 3d games as you have only tried those couple of demos which are notorious for being problematic. On benchmarking such as heaven etc there has been no problem. At this point it is quite likely that there is no problem at all.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I know what you are saying maestro but i am in no situation at the minute to buy a game,so demos etc are the only other option to test the pc in a "realistic" environment. Also you and gorman seem to contradict yourselves. You say there probably isnt a problem and i quote gorman(i could be misinterpreting what he is saying)
If i was trouble shooting this, the GPU would be my next suspect.

So after a driver re-install i would swap the gpu and see if the problem remains, You can try giving the OS a reinstall for good measure.

That doesnt help my siutation either,and its been quite some time for the pc to still be in the "getting used to new pc period". So yeh as always has been with this pc am more than ever confused.

Gorman

Author Level
My point is the symptoms indicate the GPU is faulty.

Come now, i dont contradict myself, i let others try and do that for me.

All the symptoms point towards a faulty GPU.

All the fixes we have tried and have not work, scream faulty GPU to me.

Unless someone comes up with a real technical reason why its not a faulty GPU other than "some" games work, which i am yet to see.

Shibin

Enthusiast
How can the great gorman contradict himself :O....i meant maestro and you are giving me opposite ends of the stick..if that makes sense :D.

Gorman thanks for going out of the norm to help me,got a message from jack turner asking about gpu..i cant explain how thankfull i am. But hopefully it solves the problem of the crashing.

Jack has asked me if i would be able to replace the gpu myself,should i do this?...just unplug gpu,take out old gpu,put new gpu in and plug it in?. Because i would hate to still not use the computer for even longer if i send it back but am scared of the risks of doing it myself. Also i dont have anything to send the gpu back in so i would need packaging,another thing was i was thinking of doing an os re-install and wiping drivers etc before new gpu is installed.But am only installing my dvd drive this saturday..so wanted to know if i can delay delivery so i can hand in old gpu at the same time as the delivery as to install the new gpu into a "fresh" system.

Thanks to everyone who has gone out of thier way to help me (Sleinous,maestro,gorman,pcs ...phoenix..gishank.....etc....i dont think anyone active in this forum hasnt helped me :D)

Ps:Monitor was recieved by pc spec today :D

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, replacing a GPU is quite a simple task, before doing anything, take out your monitor cable from the back of the GPU then: First push back the retaining clip on the side of the port the GPU is plugged into. Second, undo the 2 screws on the left of the GPU holding it to the backplate, put these aside somewhere. Thirdly - unplug the PCI express power connector(s). Next, carefully start pulling the GPU out straight from the motherboard, make sure you dont pull out more of one side before the other side so as not to damage the connectors + port. Also, if its not budging on the side with the clip, dont force, make sure that retaining cip is fully down before continuing :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Slightly more resistant, but the principle is the same, hold the GPU by the plastic frame, not any of the PCB, pull firmly but carefully and youll get there :)

Shibin

Enthusiast
[video=youtube;1DPQW0e9ufM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DPQW0e9ufM&feature=related[/video]

Hopefully i dont mess up

Shibin

Enthusiast
Help gorman :/

Also i dont have anything to send the gpu back in so i would need packaging,another thing was i was thinking of doing an os re-install and wiping drivers etc before new gpu is installed.But am only installing my dvd drive this saturday..so wanted to know if i can delay delivery so i can hand in old gpu at the same time as the delivery as to install the new gpu into a "fresh" system.

If you dont understand what am trying to say just ask :D

Gorman

Author Level
There is no need to re-install the drivers for a like for like card swap, unless you have reason to believe the drivers are faulty.

If you dont have anything to send the card back in, inform Jack of this in your reply.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I think the drivers could be faulty,also i am unsure as to get amd or retailer driver :S. I was thinking of doing os re-install wiping everything then putting new gpu in and installing drivers.

Michael89

Bronze Level Poster
If it does come to it and you need to replace any particular graphics card yourself, another thing to do would be to take a picture of your case with the side off/focused on the card and myself (and I'm sure any one else here) would be willing to label it with what to remove/slide/screw/whatever it needs.

This would also help provide a visual memory aid if the PCS team were to walk you through over the phone.

greybing

wow........................................i just got to the end of the thread............wow,.....hope everything works out shibin

Shibin

Enthusiast
Thanks for reading the whole thread lol.thanks for the advice micheal.
Ps:typing on iPod so kept it short and sweet.