Computer crash.

Shibin

Enthusiast
As most people know here i am no computer god. My computer crashed today while playing the crysis 2007 pre-release demo at High settings(highest beind very high) and said it was doing a crash dump or something. I would like to know what i should do as 3 days into my setup its crashing.I am really worried.

Slienous/gorman....i summon you!

Thank you.

Sleinous

Author Level
Gorman is stuck in his bed with a thermometer sticking out his mouth i'm afraid :p

You're therefore stuck with me :p

If you go into the windows error report logs, and find the <Critical> log that would have been created under hardware and/or software --> under that particular time and date and copy it in here thatll help.

Zeplini

2007 demo? i would not be over worried as you are playing a Vista demo on Windows 7, what you need to do is test with a recent game thats windows 7 ready on full settings and see if you can repeat the crash ;)

*edit*

you can post as slenious has said but to be honest with a demo so old it really is up in the air, the demo of that age will not support your op or graphics card, its pretty 50/50 if older games run on newer components or op's with out problems and its no way to judge if the pc has a fault ;)

Last edited:

Gishank

Bright Spark
To be fair. Crysis is one of the most unstable and poorly optimised pieces of crap to ever grace gaming, even if it is fun and graphically good. Plus you're playing a demo version which as stated doesn't have any patches which enhance stability, performence and provide support for newer hardware.

Shibin

Enthusiast
am worried =(...happened twice so far both when playing the demo version of crysis. And there seems to be alot of errors etc on my comp. I forked out a lot of money and i dont want my dad to get angry and ell me "i told you so" about buying computers custom made from a non-big builder. Love pcspec guys as u have been a great help evidenced by the quickness of the reply i just got.anyway enough babbling..here it is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sleinous

Author Level
Dont worry about those regular errors. In a typical month my pc builds well over 100mb of error logs! This is due to the nature of logging. Every startup operation etc is logged so a failed one will be noted as well as every successful loads. Those 2 kernel power ones are the ones to be worrying over. Will look into this tomoz but someone from PCS should have an explanation for that error msg.

Shibin

Enthusiast
Ok it crashed today while playing crysis warhead from 2008. :/....this is getting scary now. Computer seems to also freeze up at times. ...=(. Also it seems now there is a error saying catalyst control center host application monitoring program has stopped working. :/

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Seems to be GPU related now, wait until Monday when staff are back, as I think call centre is closed now.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I think it could be heating up,and the fan settings are wrong..i have no idea to change them. Btw 4th crash now and it came up in like screen tearing then computer died.I think it could be gpu heating. Also i noticed the motherbaord loading image at the start has moved to the left. Ahhh am getting so worried. I would hate to sent it back.

Gishank

Bright Spark
As said... Crysis is a poorly optimised piece of crap, don't assume your PC has hardware issues because of it, lol... Do other games you have crash/lockup?

Firstlly check if it's a driver issue, uninstall your drivers and reinstall them.

Secondly;
Download CPUID's HWMonitor tool and look at your temps when it crashes or after having played for say 10 minutes.

Additionally;
Increasing fan speed can be done by Catalyst's control center thingy majig. Not too sure though.

Last edited:

Shibin

Enthusiast
This is crysis 2 and not demo. And i check temps usuing hwmonitor and they seems to be at 60. the fan doesnt make that much noise at gameplay so i think it could be heating up. All the screen tearing and crashes indicate to me gpu problems or something wrong with comp in general. When doing intensive tasks it seems to go sometimes into lock.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Crysis Warhead is not Crysis '2', Warhead is a standalone expansion on the same engine and is plagued by the performence issues that Crysis has.... Also those temps are whilst having been in-game for 10 minutes or whilst idle?

Shibin

Enthusiast
oh thanks gishank :D....Temps are like 65 straight after playing. I played right now and checked. I uninstalled the drivers and installed them again becuase thats what the guys at the tech support said. Hasnt done any good though.

Am really worried.

Sleinous

Author Level
65 is below average so that rly good to start with

You can lso try the VMT video mem tester, in 800x600 mode, onscreen buffer on. If you cant find it ill send it to you.

Last edited:

Shibin

Enthusiast
Does anyone know what happened to the bios loading screen which moved to the left :/...it happened after the first ever crash. Also i will try the vmt mem tester

Ans btw guys,love u for being so helpfull :D

Also gishank chaning fan speed can void my warranty as i have to unlock catalyst center which is kinda of a warranty killer me thinks.

edit:lots of version slienous,but i cant find the official website to get the latest version. Newest one i could find was from 2008.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Firstly, don't get worried. One thing that we're good at is customer support, so even if your PC totally died we'd have you up and running again in no time.

From what you're describing your graphics card is playing up. This could happen if you bought your PC from a corner shop or from the biggest of PC manufacturers, these things happen. Google it and you will see!

As it's Saturday afternoon, we can't do much now, but if after trying the following you're still experiencing crashes we'll send you a new graphics card out first thing on Monday for an exchange on Tuesday to fix the issue.

1. Visit the AMD website and download your latest graphics card drivers & install. If the crashing still happens, download some older drivers and try these.

2. We need to know if you're getting BSOD's or just crashing back to the desktop? If it's a BSOD you will get a stop error, something like 0x00000Fe for example. Open up event viewer and let us know these.

Shibin

Enthusiast
I know you guys are great at customer support and that isthe only thing keeping me happy.

The guys at tech support told me to do a complete uninstall of drivers and install only the 10.9 driver as the ctalayst center was failing. I did this and it crashed once. Now i have found a 10.9a driver hotfix. But am not sure if it will help and am waiting on your guys to see if i should download it.

About the bsod thing,i would need to live chat with someone as i dont know about this bsod thing. So any help is appreciated.

Also i dont know what happened to the motherboard bios image and i would like help on this.

And finally i will be checking my card with vmt tester sleinous suggested when he replies.

I have faith in you pcs :D...and pc spec :D. The only worry is my dad getting angry lol.

Btw pcs,i have sent a email to enquiries with attached images of the faulty monitor..hopefully you can look into it?

Maestro

Also, you need to play some other games. It is difficult to diagnose if you have only had the issues while playing the pc killer called 'crysis'.
If you play other games and have no problems then the issue is crysis and not your pc. If however you get problems in other games then it is likely to be your gpu. Looking on firums it seems that every single person using the original crysis, has had problems, so at this point I suspect there is no issue other than crysis doesnt like your drivers / hardware.

Do you have any other modern games?

If you dad is going to get angry every time you have a pc issue, then he doesnt understand pc's im afraid. Old games will have problems playing on new hardware / drivers. New hardware and drivers will take 6-12 months before stable drivers have been produced. And no hardware / software will be flawless with every game produced, because these days all game houses optimize there games for nvidia or amd, and there will always be bugs. Fact of life im afraid. If you want trouble free gaming, get a wii.

Last edited: