Defective Sandy Bridge Chipset - Update 1

Crusty

Seems to me that so long as you've got a PCI or PCI-e slot free that you don't see being used in the future, the addition of another 4 * 3Gb/S SATA ports FOC is a winning solution. If you MOBO ports actually are all ok you end up with 8 ports available.

A question though: On the ASUS® P8P67 PROand DELUXE, I thought that the MOBO had only 4*3Gb/s (Intel), plus 2*6Gb/s SATA ports (not Intel). Are ports 0 and 1 actually the 6Gb/s ports or have another 2*3Gb/s ports magically turned up that aren't in the on-line specs?

Gorman

Author Level
Seems to me that so long as you've got a PCI or PCI-e slot free that you don't see being used in the future, the addition of another 4 * 3Gb/S SATA ports FOC is a winning solution. If you MOBO ports actually are all ok you end up with 8 ports available.

A question though: On the ASUS® P8P67 PROand DELUXE, I thought that the MOBO had only 4*3Gb/s (Intel), plus 2*6Gb/s SATA ports (not Intel). Are ports 0 and 1 actually the 6Gb/s ports or have another 2*3Gb/s ports magically turned up that aren't in the on-line specs?

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® 9120 controller
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)*
JMicron® JMB362 SATA controller
2 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports*
* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

Only SATA 3.0 ports listed under the P67 chipset are affected, JMicron controlled ports such as esata are not affected.

Last edited:

crofter

i have a couple of questions.

1. what would be the cost to get the 4 port sata as opposed to the 2 port sata ?

2. "We will dispatch your order to you at your request. Your computer will still have full warranty cover but you will forfeit the right to have the motherboard replaced because of this issue. Any other problems will of course be covered under warranty." does this imply that if say if the usb port died. it would be covered or it would not? i.e. other faults on the motherboard would be covered but not this fault.

Gorman

Author Level
i have a couple of questions.

1. what would be the cost to get the 4 port sata as opposed to the 2 port sata ?

2. "We will dispatch your order to you at your request. Your computer will still have full warranty cover but you will forfeit the right to have the motherboard replaced because of this issue. Any other problems will of course be covered under warranty." does this imply that if say if the usb port died. it would be covered or it would not? i.e. other faults on the motherboard would be covered but not this fault.

1. I would talk to the call centre about this.
2. This is specifically talking about the problem outlined by Intel, that problem and only that problem. All other faults will be covered as normal.

crofter

i've had a chat with sales

i have spoken with sales who say that they are shipping them with 4 port sata cards anyway.

so i have gone with option 4.

:cool:

Gorman

Author Level

i have spoken with sales who say that they are shipping them with 4 port sata cards anyway.

so i have gone with option 4.

:cool:

This is yet to be confirmed, i will post what number of ports they are when i get a concrete answer.

crofter

This is yet to be confirmed, i will post what number of ports they are when i get a concrete answer.

Having had a chat with you sales staff about this prior to okeying my order to proceed, i would be very disappointed to discover that what i was told will not be honored.

Gorman

Author Level
Having had a chat with you sales staff about this prior to okeying my order to proceed, i would be very disappointed to discover that what i was told will not be honored.

The call centre are passing on the most accurate information they can, it does appear that they are spot on as well.

Excuse my skepticism, i just like to be holding a part in my hand before giving exact specs on it!

IrishTech

Bronze Level Poster
Ordered i won't be doing anything to this pc and if it only the 3gb that affected it won't bother me.
Yes it does annoy me a bit knowing i have a faulty sata port but a 4-5 month wait is just too long. Again I know PCS can't help this as they need to wait on the part and the backlog that will come with this.

Mike87

Ordered i won't be doing anything to this pc and if it only the 3gb that affected it won't bother me.
Yes it does annoy me a bit knowing i have a faulty sata port but a 4-5 month wait is just too long. Again I know PCS can't help this as they need to wait on the part and the backlog that will come with this.

Yea same, i cant afford to wait that long and ill never add anything to mine. Mine is awaiting dispatch, will be here on Saturday :D. Ordered it on the 10th Jan lol.

Im really impressed by the way this whole thing has been handled by PCS.

Happy Customer

Just to say I called PCS this morning, call answered very quickly. I had a chat and went with option 4. I am very happy with the service, many that I deal with could learn a lot from the way PCS have handled an issue that was beyond their control.

Thanks from a happy custmer
Robert

Gorman

Author Level

Just to clarify the new amended boards should be availiable end of March / beginning of April, so really we are talking about two months. ish.

SimonM

I'm planning on two 6 Gb/s hard disks in Raid 1 configuration. In theory, these should be fine on the 6 Gb/s SATA ports, but do I remember reading somewhere that a) the practical difference between the transfer speeds of 3 & 6 Gb/s disk/controller combos is minimal & b) current 6Gb/s controllers are not really recommended for Raid configurations?

Second question - on the 4 port expansion cards being supplied, are the 4 ports exposed internally, leaving the rear view of the card just like a blanking plate?

Gorman

Author Level
The original SATA 6Gbs ports on the first gen of boards were not that hot, nowadays they are fine.

The expansion cards, will confirm this as we get more information on them but most likely you are correct.

SimonM

Ok, thanks.

I am planning to add more disks, so it looks like keeping the defective board but adding the 4 port card is the way to go, subject to the following confirmations (which I know you can't give just yet).
1. That the expansion ports face internally
2. That all 6Gb/s SATA ports, whether on the m/b or the expansion card, are suitable for Raid configurations.
I'd better go & count expansion slots - I think that makes it 4 in use already. Graphics card, TV card, SATA port card & fan controller (depending on case chosen).

All this assumes that Asus are allowing you to carry on using your existing stock. I did hear rumours of a ban on further building & a compulsory recall of unused stock.
(Maybe you've 'built' all yours in already!!)

Last edited:

IrishTech

Bronze Level Poster
Just to clarify the new amended boards should be availiable end of March / beginning of April, so really we are talking about two months. ish.

I admit i was extration 4 or 5 months it was more 3 months as i admit you will get them in 2 months if your not held back by chinese new year. But also you have to build test with back log it could be late april/early may. Again its a personal choice and waiting 2-3 months for a part that isn't going to affect my build i didnt see the point on holding.

I also like to say Fair play to PCS they could of easily just said hold all orders or refund and be done with it instead they looked at each spec and saw if it would affect you and let you have work around if you wanted it (free of charge) I can't fault that one bit thats gone beyond customer service.

IrishTech

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, thanks.

All this assumes that Asus are allowing you to carry on using your existing stock. I did hear rumours of a ban on further building & a compulsory recall of unused stock.
(Maybe you've 'built' all yours in already!!)

I wouldnt like to thnk so as mine is just going to buliding now so I doubt they had mine built already but i did hear the same thing. But I guess thats why we forfiet the right to get the new motherboard later on if we get this now from PCS unless there is another problem besides the one stated.