Defective Sandy Bridge Chipset - Update 1

Ryka

So do you guys have to order in the PCI or PCIe cards for the option 4 people?

Quoting this for more exposure, if it's going to cause further delay I'd like to know if it's possible to dispatch the PC without it and send the card at a later date?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
1. what would be the cost to get the 4 port sata as opposed to the 2 port sata ?

i have spoken with sales who say that they are shipping them with 4 port sata cards anyway.

so i have gone with option 4.

:cool:

Just to confirm - if you were offered a 4 port SATA card on when you selected your choice, you will receive a 4 port card. If you were offered a 2 port card, you will receive a 2 port card.

The vast majority of customers were offered a two port card. 4 port cards were only offered to those who needed them, based on what they ordered.

If any customers would like to upgrade to a 4 port card, they can do for a fee of £32.00 including VAT.

Last edited:

Celtic

eSata ports

Hi, forgive me if this is a silly question but I am new to the intricacies of motherboards. I am awaiting delivery of a mini-computer from PCS. It has an H67 motherboard (mini iTX): this has two 6 Gb/s Sata connections, so no problem with my hard drive and optical drive. Nothing else is going to fit in that box, so no need to worry about the 3 Gb/s ports inside. However, for expansion I was looking towards the external 3 Gb/s eSata port. My question: is the eSata port affected by the problem with the Sandy Bridge chipset or is that on a different controller/circuit/whatever?

Yamimash

Just wondering when you're getting the new shipment of 4 port SATA cards, I was told it will be next week when I called, any specific date? It'll be nice to know when I can eventually go from processing to the pre-production/production stage, I can understand the delay though hence this topic ^^.

crofter

If any customers would like to upgrade to a 4 port card, they can do for a fee of £32.00 including VAT.

ok now i'm confused can you confirm the status of my order. i was told over the phone i would have a 4 port card fitted. my order number is 374317. i have emailed to verify the position but had no reply. could you let me know where i stand?

Steve78

ok now i'm confused can you confirm the status of my order. i was told over the phone i would have a 4 port card fitted. my order number is 374317. i have emailed to verify the position but had no reply. could you let me know where i stand?

As above, they said if you were offered a 4 port card, you will get a 4 port card.

Dudey

I've gone with option 4. Hope I don't regret this, but i can't see myself adding any more harddrives anyway.

Gorman

Author Level
Hi, forgive me if this is a silly question but I am new to the intricacies of motherboards. I am awaiting delivery of a mini-computer from PCS. It has an H67 motherboard (mini iTX): this has two 6 Gb/s Sata connections, so no problem with my hard drive and optical drive. Nothing else is going to fit in that box, so no need to worry about the 3 Gb/s ports inside. However, for expansion I was looking towards the external 3 Gb/s eSata port. My question: is the eSata port affected by the problem with the Sandy Bridge chipset or is that on a different controller/circuit/whatever?

e-sata is on a different controller, not the main chipset so should not be affected.

Just wondering when you're getting the new shipment of 4 port SATA cards, I was told it will be next week when I called, any specific date? It'll be nice to know when I can eventually go from processing to the pre-production/production stage, I can understand the delay though hence this topic ^^.

The most definate date we have to give at the moment is "next week", its best not to give an exact date, if the supplier fails to deliver on a certain day we just end up breaking promises through no fault of our own.

As above, they said if you were offered a 4 port card, you will get a 4 port card.

Correct.

quaker_31

Said they would refund my order - still not come through. Called up for 20 minutes and did not get through. Can I just have my money back pls. - 376744

Gorman

Author Level
Said they would refund my order - still not come through. Called up for 20 minutes and did not get through. Can I just have my money back pls. - 376744

When you select the option for a refund it gives details of how to contact us and cancel the order, did you go through with this as i am not seeing anything on the system.

People who have cancelled with the call centre are being processed, if this was the route you took i dont understand why there is nothing noted about it.

jheanley

My order is now awaiting dispatch, fair play to PCS for getting me through the Sandy Bridge problem with no serious delays, maybe took a week and a half longer than their 9-11 day aproximation, but considering the situation that arose soon after ordering I think I can forgive them. :)

Handled brilliantly and as long as you watch the call monitoring section on website you'll rarely have to wait more than a couple of minutes.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member

In the email you were sent, you were offered a 2 port SATA card. This is what has been fitted inside your computer.

As I'm sure you can understand, when the Sandy Bridge issue was first unravelled, hundreds of calls hit our call centre and our operators didn't have firm details in front of them until we'd had chance to put proper procedures in place, other than that we were offering SATA cards.

Once we put procedures in place we sent each customer an email offering SATA cards, and you were offered and accepted a 2 port SATA card.

As you order only contains two drives, you now have four free ports, allowing you plenty of upgrade options in your computer.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member

e-SATA ports should not be affected because the use the JC Micron or Marvell controllers. :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
SANDY BRIDGE UPDATE

1. All orders who have been offered 2 port SATA 3GB/s cards are now progressing normally (stock landed on Friday), and we will of course aim to dispatch your orders as soon as possible. The 4 port cards have been delayed but we are working to source these as soon as possible. We hope to obtain stock before the end of the week but cannot guarantee anything at the moment. If you would like your order shipping quicker, please contact us to request a 2 port card.

2. All orders that were requested to be put on hold have been removed from production, and will be processed as soon as new stock lands from ASUS. Intel are shipping chipsets to ASUS during the 2nd/3rd week in Februrary, and ASUS are forecasting a 6-8 week build time for the new motherboards. After a quick phone call to ASUS today their latest expectations are stock landing to us towards the start of April.

3. Orders that were requested to be shipped, will be shipped asap.

4. Orders that were requested to be cancelled or amended will be as soon as we are contacted to confirm your exact intentions. We will of course refund you as quickly as possible, normally within 5 days from cancellation.

Orders that have already been dispatched:

We have not yet contacted customers whose orders were dispatched before 1st Februrary, but we will be contacting you in due course as soon as we have more information to hand. Again, there is nothing to worry about here as the chances of your system failing are extremely low. As I type from my Sandy Bridge based system with two SSD's in RAID 1, I can confirm that this computer is the fastest I've ever used.

New customers placing orders:

All customers looking to place orders will have noticed the warning message upon proceeding to the order page, and we are ensuring no new systems being dispatched are affected by the chipset issue, because all drives will be connected to the SATA 6GB/s ports. SATA cards are not being offered to new customers and new customers placing orders will of course not be able to return their system for a replacement motherboard unless the motherboard has a different fault or fails. No other aspects of the warranty are affected.

Mike87

Awesome. Mine is currently awaiting dispatch as i requested a 2 port card. Hoping its with me this Saturday then :). (Saturday delivery)

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
bummer i was hoping to have my pc this Sat, but oh well. If i have to wait for the 4 port card that is fine. Guess its another couple of weeks of agonising wait:p As long as its here before the end of Feb that would be nice :p

CVK

I am a little surprised that PCS is not offering a motherboard swap-out option like scan.co.uk is (http://www.scan.co.uk/ShopS/INTEL/news). Would have thought PCS has sufficient volume to get similar terms on this kind of issue. I would certainly have preferred to do without the SATA card and to run a slightly different set-up for 2-3 months. You just feel better knowing that your motherboard is flawless. With my pc in QC now I am not going to change anything at this stage though.

crofter

Just to confirm - if you were offered a 4 port SATA card on when you selected your choice, you will receive a 4 port card. If you were offered a 2 port card, you will receive a 2 port card.

The vast majority of customers were offered a two port card. 4 port cards were only offered to those who needed them, based on what they ordered.

Ah, I phoned to ask about having a 4 port card fitted prior to this post, and was told that all the systems were shipping with 4 port cards anyway and just to go with option 4, this i did, i also emailed stating that i wanted to proceed if 4 ports were being fitted. guess what. system arrived to day with only two ports fitted

please see post 66,68, importantly 69 & 86

needless to say not that impressed

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I phoned to ask about having a 4 port card fitted prior to this post, and was told that all the systems were shipping with 4 port cards anyway and just to go with option 4, this i did, i also emailed stating that i wanted to proceed if 4 ports were being fitted. guess what. system arrived to day with only two ports fitted

please see post 66,68, importantly 69 & 86

needless to say not that impressed

Please see my post #92 above.