Defective Sandy Bridge Chipset - Update 1

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
I was wondering if you guys got those 4 SLOT PCI or PCIE cards. I knows it the main factor that some of your customers who chose option 4 are waiting for.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering if you guys got those 4 SLOT PCI or PCIE cards. I knows it the main factor that some of your customers who chose option 4 are waiting for.

You beat me to it - I was about the post an update here today.

Unfortunately I received an email this morning from our supplier stating that there has been a further delay in the shipment, and stock will not be delayed until at ltast the end of this week. We're very sorry for the delay, and for those who need a quicker dispatch you are welcome to change your order to a 2 port SATA card, of which we have plenty of stock.

Crusty

You beat me to it - I was about the post an update here today.

Unfortunately I received an email this morning from our supplier stating that there has been a further delay in the shipment, and stock will not be delayed until at ltast the end of this week. We're very sorry for the delay, and for those who need a quicker dispatch you are welcome to change your order to a 2 port SATA card, of which we have plenty of stock.

Can you tell us what the supplier and part code for the 4 port SATA cards will be please. I have read that some of these perform well and others are maybe not so good. The reviews also indicate that the onboard cougar point chips may well have performed better than a PCI/PCIe card - would that be likely?

Freeley

I have yet to receive my 2 port SATA card (order no. 373719) - would one of you PCS chaps be able to make an enquiry for me as to when i might get it please? (seeing as you have plenty of stock).
Also i sent an email to PCS last week regarding how many "good" ports i had left for future upgrades on my motherboard - i received this response but am still unsure: "I can confirm that at the moment the 4 x 6GB SATA ports are taken by the devices that have been installed. If you wish to upgrade the drives in the future you can use the SATA card to either swap with the current drives are use with any new drives you are able to purchase."

If both my HD's and 2 optical drives are connected to 4 x 6GB SATA ports does this mean that i still have a couple of 3GB "good" ports available?

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
Freely. If you have bought a 2 pci card then you have 2 good 3g/b ports. Since its only the 3g/b effected right now without the pci card in theory you have no good ports but after getting the pcie card which ahs 2 slots you will have 2. Meaning you can add another 2 drives in the future without any problems.

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
But aren't there two good 3GB ports (1 & 5) on the motherboard that i could still use?

Not wanting to muddy the waters, but isn't it the chipset (Cougar Point?) that handles all the 3GB ports the problem? If so, all the 3GB ports would potentially be effected.

Anthony.

Gorman

Author Level
Simply put its the SATA 2 (3Gbs) ports that are affected, some confusion is coming in as ports 1 & 2 or 0 & 1 depending on how you look on it are SATA 3 (6Gbs) and not affected. On some boards ports 5 & 6 are on a different controller and even thought they are SATA 2 they are not affected.

If its SATA 2 and on the Intel controller, its affected.

Baughn

Which makes me wonder, once again why the laptops are being delayed.

Surely there's no need for more than two ports in there?

..surely they weren't using the 3Gb/s ports when there are 6Gb/s ports available?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Which makes me wonder, once again why the laptops are being delayed.

Surely there's no need for more than two ports in there?

..surely they weren't using the 3Gb/s ports when there are 6Gb/s ports available?

Laptops are a different story unfortunately, and because our stock had not yet left the factory they were all recalled. We are however being told the new stepping chipset has been delivered to the factory and therefore the first Sandy Bridge chassis should start to arrive in the next 1-2 weeks. :)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to receive my 2 port SATA card (order no. 373719) - would one of you PCS chaps be able to make an enquiry for me as to when i might get it please?

We have yet to oficially contact any customers whose orders were shipped on or before the 1st February. Their computer will be working without any issues in the meantime and once we have realistic dates of the new stepping chipset we will start to contact customers at a stepped pace.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
Hi PCS

I was wodnering if you have an update of the 4 port cards. I know you were awaiting for a shipment end of the week.

An information would be great :)

Freeley

We have yet to oficially contact any customers whose orders were shipped on or before the 1st February. Their computer will be working without any issues in the meantime and once we have realistic dates of the new stepping chipset we will start to contact customers at a stepped pace.

Cheers PCS - excuse my ignorance but what is the new stepping chipset?

Baughn

A "stepping" is a minor update to a piece of hardware; think of it like a software patch. The definition of "minor" varies depending on manufacturer (the i7 has gone through several steppings before they now decided it was time for a version bump), but in this case it'd mean the port bug is fixed.

Ansab001

Bronze Level Poster
guys is there any news on this 4 port sata cards. Its just that I have been waiting on you guys to get the right cards for two weeks. I know its been tough due to this issue. But last we heard was you would get them on friday the 18th of February. I just want to know if you guys have got them?

Maestro

No cards yet im afraid. Cant give an update as its sunday and i dont have access to purchasing info. All i can say is that we had to order these from the far east as there was no stock of 4 port 3gb/s in the uk. If you want your pc early then give us a call on monday or email and we can dispatch your pc and forward on the 4 port when they arrive.

Crusty

No cards yet im afraid. Cant give an update as its sunday and i dont have access to purchasing info. All i can say is that we had to order these from the far east as there was no stock of 4 port 3gb/s in the uk. If you want your pc early then give us a call on monday or email and we can dispatch your pc and forward on the 4 port when they arrive.

The offer I received was for a 4 port. I've just received an e-mail that my PC is awaiting despatch (yee ha!). I would guess that the 4 ports have arrived and are being fitted.