Don't forget to vote today ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Not going to get political but don't forget to vote today if you were planning on doing so. Its for the European Elections and some Local Elections if you didn't know.

I know who I'll be voting for later :)

bonalste

Bronze Level Poster
Sent off my postal vote the other day. Can never be bothered going to the polling station. I always find that I get there and never know who half of the candidates are. At least with postal voting I have the voting slips in front of me and can do some research before making my choice.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Sent off my postal vote the other day. Can never be bothered going to the polling station. I always find that I get there and never know who half of the candidates are. At least with postal voting I have the voting slips in front of me and can do some research before making my choice.

That's fair enough, I've already done all my research. This is my first time I'm able to vote now I'm over 18 and looking forward to going down to the polling station XD

Topher

Bronze Level Poster
That's fair enough, I've already done all my research. This is my first time I'm able to vote now I'm over 18 and looking forward to going down to the polling station XD

Ahh that enthusiasm will die off with age haha ...at least it did with me:p

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It wasn't at all obvious it is your first time eligible to vote Wozz :) Very commendable though, as there will be plenty your age that just cba.

Only have to go into the village after work, but especially with MEPs, it does become more difficult to get motivated to go (but I will).

I do like what the gf did though. She had a postal vote from 2004 to 2007 for when we were at university...and just never cancelled it! Still can't decide which of us is lazier (the correct answer is me by the way, just for the record...)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im not going to vote i don't think, i didn't research anything and i feel like if i did vote i could vote for the wrong thing or something.

Rakk

The Awesome
Just as a quick reminder, no suggestions as to who to vote for or not to vote for should be mentioned here, cos unfortunately that's normally how arguments start and at that point threads tend to just spiral out of control, especially when politics is the subject

tom_gr7

Life Serving
when is the deadline to send my postal vote?

I would like to ask the same question.

oh keynes, I totally wish i could reply to your second post. It would totally spiral out of control.

Although, like smoke I don't really know who to vote for and i follow politics reasonably well.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would like to ask the same question.

oh keynes, I totally wish i could reply to your second post. It would totally spiral out of control.

Although, like smoke I don't really know who to vote for and i follow politics reasonably well.

Steam :)
Create a new box and enter your missus name

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Again without getting into opinions on politics etc, I think with a reasonable level of certainty, very few people here could actually name their current MEP (without looking it up). Rather says it all :)

Androcles

Rising Star

Ah to be so young and naïve. I don't choose my vote for UK elections any more I just tick a random box, it makes no difference in the long run. It doesn't matter which party's in power or not, ultimately all major decisions have to go through the house of lords and the lords don't change when a new party is installed, so it's really the same people making the decisions with different parties as visible targets.

As for EU elections, I just don't really care enough.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ah to be so young and naïve. I don't choose my vote for UK elections any more I just tick a random box, it makes no difference in the long run. It doesn't matter which party's in power or not, ultimately all major decisions have to go through the house of lords and the lords don't change when a new party is installed, so it's really the same people making the decisions with different parties as visible targets.

As for EU elections, I just don't really care enough.

that is not a very good way of looking at it, you'll be surprised how much difference your vote can make. The 2010 general election for my area was split by less than 100 votes. Not very many at all out of 46,000 turnout

And to Rakk: yeh I know as tempting as it was I didn't mention any parties

Tom DWC

Cheers for the reminder, can finally vote in something other than a local election. Missed the last general election by 2 days!

Do you have to take ID or anything?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The fact hat this story even exists worries me...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27486392

Headline?

Voters advised not to take selfies in polling booths

Really? Is that what we have come to? Of course, the idiots that would do this won't take any notice of warnings and will promptly post their selfie, with marked ballot on their MyBook Face and Instapron as soon as, if not before they leave the booth/curtain.

No doubt some knobend Z lister will kick things off for their avid Twitter followers :)

/rant off

That's true to a degree but the Lords cannot veto any legislation so their influence is limited in reality. They can only send legislation back to the House of Commons with suggested amendments a maximum of three times. The commons can then force it through without HoL approval. Bills related to finance (taxes etc) do not require any HoL scrutiny or approval.

For my tuppenyworth I would definitely encourage people to vote, or at least spoil you ballot. You can't expect politicians who share your views to stand or be elected if you give them no incentive to cater to your needs.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Also Andro, don't forget that you are voting for your representative. Ok, so I would probably go with you on the Euro elections, but for the General election you are voting for your MP, not for a party to get into government. There is a difference because voting for the right person in your constituency can make a lot of difference, even if they aren't in government. Not all politicians are evil :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think it should be law that everyone of age votes or you get fined. Then the current system of politicians serving their own interests and not the public interest would be over.

Discuss :)

steaky360

Although the principle of what your suggesting may be reasonably sound, I don't think it would have the desired effects. Its your right to vote, it shouldn't be a requirement to vote. Whether you want to vote or not should be a personal choice imo. I don't see the point or benefit in 'forcing' people to vote. It wouldn't necessarily force them to care about who/what they're voting for.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I think low turn out wouldn't irk me so much, if it wasn't for the fact it is often the same people that don't vote that then moan on about: "government this", "not helping me that".

Or you know, we could just do like the Eastern Ukraine does and just vote multiple times...without even having the common decency to don a comedy nose/glasses combo to at least pretend to be someone different!

(Ok, we might be edging into dodgy ground now. Still a good thread so tom, stop it right now! :D )