Don't forget to vote today ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think it should be law that everyone of age votes or you get fined. Then the current system of politicians serving their own interests and not the public interest would be over.

Discuss :)

This would lead to too many people having absolutely no idea what they are voting for, its one thing not knowing your candidates name but many people have no idea on the policies for any party.

I do however think that it should be more encouraged in school and college and students should be made aware. Perhaps even a politics class in school? I had some pretty pointless lessons in school such as 'Learning 2 Learn' and would have much preferred to learn more about politics. But now I've just involved myself in politics anyway

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I think it should be law that everyone of age votes or you get fined. Then the current system of politicians serving their own interests and not the public interest would be over.

I normally always vote on local affairs but i have had no information about this election, got a bit of paper a week ago about it and never took the time to see what my options were.

I don't watch TV or listen to Radio or Read Newspapers so they don't really have any access to influence my either way. Which sounds good but it means i don't get to hear their proposals and then i don't get to voice my opinion in the only way it counts.

I think it boils down to i only vote if i care enough. in all my life nothing has ever changed in my life with the change of parties or public figures, i work, sleep rave and repeat and its just the same. I don't think one man (or woman) can really make a difference despite what Wilton Knight said.

I realize that if everyone thought that way it would be a breakdown of the system but i just hope an believe that there are people out there, you guys are maybe some of them, that are more informed and intelligent enough to make the correct declensions that i don't really understand.

I think that if we therfore dont want to vote and put it in the hands of other people we shouldn't be prosecuted or punished for it.

I realize that might sound like a childish response but its truly how i feel about it

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The internet would certainly suggest that it is. Weird.

I think its wrong forcing people to vote, isn't that in a way undemocratic?

Politics just needs to be encouraged more. Kids in school need to have lessons where they are fairly presented all of the options, extreme party or not and they should decide which party would be best for them. If its done in school they will be 16, so intelligent enough to make decisions like this.

I think the media does enough to promote politics for the most part, although I've noticed them all (including BBC) being quite biased against a certain party

Last edited:

mdwh

Enthusiast
Again without getting into opinions on politics etc, I think with a reasonable level of certainty, very few people here could actually name their current MEP (without looking it up). Rather says it all :)
Though there multiple MEPs for each region, so this would be one reason why it's harder to remember.

I don't see why that would be true though?

It could be worse - at the moment, voter turnout is itself a metric that can be used to judge the popular support that parties have, but if people are forced to vote, the winning party will be able to claim they have a much greater mandate, even if many of those voting don't actually care.

Spuff

Expert
Do you have to take ID or anything?

No, you just need to be on the electoral register (except in Northern Ireland where photo ID is required). It helps if you take your poll card that you would have been sent (if you are on the register), it saves you having to say your address.
Party people may be outside who will want to know your address, and then the polling station people need to cross your name of the list, and it helps if they have the card in front of them while they look through the list.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
No, you just need to be on the electoral register. It helps if you take your poll card that you would have been sent (if you are on the register), it saves you having to say your address.
Party people may be outside who will want to know your address, and then the polling station people need to cross your name of the list, and it helps if they have the card in front of them while they look through the list.

Maybe it was because it was a bad time but there was no one outside when I went to my local station, mind you there was only 1 other person in there at the time voting and there is no local election for my area. But my friend did mention she was the only candidate for her party in an area nearby being contested.

On another note, its so damn tempting to start mentioning party names XD

bo0td

3188797-george-carlin-i-have-solved-this-political-dilemma-in-a-very-direct-way-i-dont-vote-on-election-day-i-stay-home-i-firmly-believe-that-if-you-vote-you-have-no-right-to-complain-now-some.jpg

Androcles

Rising Star
Ah to be so young and naïve. I don't choose my vote for UK elections any more I just tick a random box, it makes no difference in the long run. It doesn't matter which party's in power or not, ultimately all major decisions have to go through the house of lords and the lords don't change when a new party is installed, so it's really the same people making the decisions with different parties as visible targets.

That's true to a degree but the Lords cannot veto any legislation so their influence is limited in reality. They can only send legislation back to the House of Commons with suggested amendments a maximum of three times. The commons can then force it through without HoL approval. Bills related to finance (taxes etc) do not require any HoL scrutiny or approval.

That's what they'd like us to think ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Both the House of Commons and House of Lords have less power in the UK than the European Commission who can reject any law created by either in most areas of policy

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Just found out the Euro Elections results aren't announced until Sunday :O that's a long wait. Local elections will be tonight and tomorrow

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I was going to make a joke about it taking ages to get the carrier pigeons motivated to go from here to Brussels, but then I actually thought that isn't too far off the mark. Not the carrier pigeon bit, but the fact that it will take longer to get everything from all the member states compared to a local or even domestic election.

Also, as I said earlier, I can't believe anyone is actually going to care about the result anyway :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I was going to make a joke about it taking ages to get the carrier pigeons motivated to go from here to Brussels, but then I actually thought that isn't too far off the mark. Not the carrier pigeon bit, but the fact that it will take longer to get everything from all the member states compared to a local or even domestic election.

Also, as I said earlier, I can't believe anyone is actually going to care about the result anyway :D

Well I don't know for sure but I would take a guess that vote counting will be held in each region instead of just in Brussels. Because MEPs are chosen by each region rather than by country.

And I certainly care about it, after all the EU does create at least 70% of our laws.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think we should chin off the EU and stop all these silly laws being made. Like the law that says in a few years ALL cars are required to have a black box tracking device fitted.

bonalste

Bronze Level Poster
Australians do have to vote by law or face a stiff penalty, that is true. However they also have a wonderful option on their ballots, basically "None of the above". If that wins, all parties have to adjust their manifestos and hold another campaign followed by another election. That's the kind of thing that would be wonderful over here. Alas, I'm very worried this year about who might gain a majority of seats for the UK in the European Parliament. I'm guessing how this will end, and my guess is a sad one. I suspect that the aforementioned "none of you" option would change the outcome of that.