Internet Connected to Wifi - no internet connection

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It fixed it earlier but after restarting the pc it’s reverted to its broken ways.
As for the windows updates I’m seeing nothing as there is no wifi.
Ok can you coonect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable and check for updates that way

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
Managed to connect to wifi - not sure how long it’ll last.
checked windows updates and there are none as everything is up to date including optional updates.
Not too sure on the issue at the moment 🤷🏼‍♂️

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Managed to connect to wifi - not sure how long it’ll last.
checked windows updates and there are none as everything is up to date including optional updates.
Not too sure on the issue at the moment 🤷🏼‍♂️
That sounds good, just as a check, go into device manager and make sure nothing has a yellow triangle by it or listed as an unknown device

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
What changed that let you connect?
I ran another troubleshoot on the wifi card itself.
also turned off the internet hub during this process and restarted that for the 5th time today. It then connected.
I’ve got another laptop in the same room that isn’t experiencing any issues - so it can’t be a connection problem for signal strength.

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
the one called netwrok adaptors, click on the arrow at the side
There will ne one in the list for your WiFi card
It says the device is working properly.
I’m assuming what ever it needed has been fixed.
Thanks for all your support and helping a real newbie to the world of desktop pc’s!
I’ll update the thread if we have any further issues.
I was in touch with BT and we’re getting an extra booster for our halo package (shouldn’t be required but was worth a shot as it’s free!)

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
Good evening again,
My partner left the Pc and it went into sleep and now the problem has returned.
I don’t fancy doing a troubleshoot every time we need internet. Any other ideas on a fix?
I’ve currently got an unidentified network for my home wifi on the network and sharing centre

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good evening again,
My partner left the Pc and it went into sleep and now the problem has returned.
I don’t fancy doing a troubleshoot every time we need internet. Any other ideas on a fix?
I’ve currently got an unidentified network for my home wifi on the network and sharing centre
I would forget the current network you're connected to.

Then rejoin it, it should first ask you if you want a private or public connection, make sure you select private.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok try this, go into device manager, right click the wi-fi card, select properties, and under power management untick allow the computer to turn off this device to power

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
Ok try this, go into device manager, right click the wi-fi card, select properties, and under power management untick allow the computer to turn off this device to power
Did this earlier today.
I also tried the forget thing - I’ll try that again. It isn’t helping that my partner is expecting stuff to be sorted yesterday 🤣

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
I would forget the current network you're connected to.

Then rejoin it, it should first ask you if you want a private or public connection, make sure you select private.
Just done this and it didn’t ask if I wanted it to be public or private. It simple oh connected to the internet but still shows ‘No internet, secured’

LazyOldWoman

Bronze Level Poster
Ran a troubleshoot on the wifi card and got:
‘Problem with wireless adapter or access point’
‘Wifi doesn’t have a valid ip configuration’

any ideas?

D

Deleted member 17413

What WiFi you got? Do you know which hub?
Right click the WiFi icon on bottom right of screen should allow you to run troubleshoot quickly.
Other options are turn pc and router power off and then back on, resetting whole network.

You can try removing the drivers for the WiFi card and reinstalling, or, even reinstalling the whole of windows and leaving bullguard out from the start if you think thats involved/corrupted something.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just done this and it didn’t ask if I wanted it to be public or private. It simple oh connected to the internet but still shows ‘No internet, secured’
Ok, we need to really blat this then.

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Network & Internet.
  3. Click on Status.
  4. Under the "Advanced network settings" section, click the Network reset option.
  5. Click the Reset now button.
  6. Click the Yes button.
After you complete the steps, the computer will restart automatically, and on reboot, you should now be able to connect to the internet.

The tool will reset all the network adapters installed on your computer to their factory defaults, which means that you'll need to re-enter the password to connect to a wireless network. Also, you'll need to reconfigure other networking software, such as VPN clients, if applicable.

Make sure you select Private network when it reconnects.