Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate (RC)

Tom DWC

The Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate is now available for download (since 10/02/11).

The forum appears to function perfectly within the browser which was not the case with the BETA.

Dare I say it I actually really like this latest version of IE - it's done alot of catching up! Too little too late though?

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I have already downloaded this, it seems a lot faster than IE 8. Don't know if it will be good enough to move me away from Firefox.

JSG10

Expert
Just installed it. Looks good :) Definitely seems faster than 8 which is obviously a huge plus.
Had to remember how to bring up the various toolbars lmao its been so long since I changed them XD I figure it out though.
Don't really like that they've moved the home and fav buttons to the right hand side, guess I was just used to them on the left.

Overall a pretty good job by the looks of it. Sure took their time about it though!

Anthony.Ralph

Bronze Level Poster
Unlike Firefox you still cannot run a web page in a sidebar. although not mainstream, I do find this feature useful. For example: showing data that is required in the main browser window.

apart from that, it looks pretty good.

Anthony.

Pete

Bright Spark
I also installed it last week, seems good, stable and no issues so far.
Is it possible to put the little icons on the same line as the file menus ? as there's a lot of wasted space there. If you have a lot of tabs open and put them on a seperate line it looks a bit naff unless you're running at 800x600

I also installed the Firefox beta 11, also nice.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Firefox still rocks but would like to use IE 9 more and check all the features fully.

Is it possible to put the little icons on the same line as the file menus ? .

I was wondering this as well, there must be a way to customise as I always open lots of new tabs at the same time.

Pete

Bright Spark
I was wondering this as well, there must be a way to customise as I always open lots of new tabs at the same time.

ahh, think i have it sussed turn off - view > toolbars > menu bar. You can then press Alt to toggle it on/off. I can't test this myself as in work since IE8 there is a group policy which overrides this, as a few users were lost without a file menu *sigh*

JSG10

Expert
IE9 does not like Facebooks flash type games. Crashes it for a few seconds and takes a while to load them

mrleemcc

I have to admit that i quite like this new IE9, it is about time MS got it right. I may even start to use it again lol

Been using it for a couple of days and it is quite responive and have had no issue's with it all.

Baughn

Between Firefox and Chrome, what use IE?

No, seriously. As far as I can tell they're both superior in every regard, but I still see people use IE. I'd like to know why - what am I missing?

Maestro

Try using it. I have downloaded IE9 today and immediately noticed a big improvement. It is much faster and cleaner. I think at the very minimum they have caught upto the competitors if not jumped slightly ahead, just as they did with windows 7. But then i am biased and do like the underdog when pitted against the big corporate control freak giant that is google. Ohh, did i say google. My how times change.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Between Firefox and Chrome, what use IE?

No, seriously. As far as I can tell they're both superior in every regard, but I still see people use IE. I'd like to know why - what am I missing?
Well I use Firefox pretty much all the time and it takes longer to start up and doesn't seem as quick while moving through web pages, not everyone likes Google so Chrome isn't an option.

Tom DWC

This was true of IE6/7 etc. 8 was nothing special. 9 is a different story. It's my first choice browser again anyway.

There's one Firefox add-on I'm really going to miss though. It removes the words "Justin" and "Bieber" from every web page you visit and greys out all image and video references. Was great for reading YouTube comments in peace. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Gorman

Author Level
Try using it. I have downloaded IE9 today and immediately noticed a big improvement. It is much faster and cleaner. I think at the very minimum they have caught upto the competitors if not jumped slightly ahead, just as they did with windows 7. But then i am biased and do like the underdog when pitted against the big corporate control freak giant that is google. Ohh, did i say google. My how times change.

Yep, Microsoft is the underdog, Apple is a Manopoly and Google is a big evil corporation, How things have changed.