MSFS release August 18th!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've not even worked out logistically how the hell I'm going to play this. My flight controls are attached to my motion rig which is setup for my VR. It is effectively in front of the TV but I'm not sure looking up at the TV would be the best way to play this game. It's going to depend what the mouse controls etc are like. The camera control is going to be my main thing I think. Hoping the view hat has it covered.

I cannot wait for the VR element to be added to this. It's going to completely change the world of flight sim IMO. Anyone wanna buy MSFS Steam Edition? haha.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
I'm genuinely thinking about just pluming for it and playing it on the laptop until they release the VR. My only reservation is the controls as I'm not sure if it's going to be easy enough to play with just a keyboard & controller.

plenty of fairly cheap stick and throttle combinations out there Scott. Or are you primarily using your laptop on the sofa?

Good to see a lot of buzz around MSFS today. From what I’ve read, it’s a mixed bag. Some people still saying it’s effectively beta, others just enjoying it for what it is. My primary PC gaming is Flight Sims but it will probably be a long while before I look at MSFS as I will be waiting for the 3rd party add on providers to release some of their aircraft addons which will be next year at least. For now I will he staying with P3D V5 but MSFS is definitely something to look forward to

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I've got a basic Thrustmaster HOTAS setup, yeah the download a bit, then install it does grind a bit too much. Took around 2 hrs on a 200mb VM system.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Yeah agree there.

So far just flown over Plymouth... Smeatons Tower isnt there, all of the ships in the marina and the dockyard are sunk underwater. Did see that in the betas and was hoping that they were gonna fix it for the launch.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
plenty of fairly cheap stick and throttle combinations out there Scott. Or are you primarily using your laptop on the sofa?

Good to see a lot of buzz around MSFS today. From what I’ve read, it’s a mixed bag. Some people still saying it’s effectively beta, others just enjoying it for what it is. My primary PC gaming is Flight Sims but it will probably be a long while before I look at MSFS as I will be waiting for the 3rd party add on providers to release some of their aircraft addons which will be next year at least. For now I will he staying with P3D V5 but MSFS is definitely something to look forward to

I love flight sims. It's what got me into VR properly and I've got a fair bit of experience with them. I've got the Hotas x56 just now but it's attached to my sim-rig for VR. It's suited OK-ish for my TV but definitely not ideal. I don't have a monitor setup or anything like that but I do have a hotdesk upstairs with 2 monitors that I could possibly make use of (my office).

I would definitely consider the game without any addons. At this moment I can't see why addons would be necessary as everything I've seen puts everything current in the shade. I have a ton of ORBX stuff and it made a HUGE difference to FSX for me but this is just another level entirely.

If you get the chance, have a look at the last video I posted on this thread. Young lad from Singapore putting the game through its paces and showing off some features that I didn't know existed. It's a long watch but a very worthwhile one to show you what to expect and the sort of experience that's offered.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Well so far, so good, very pretty. Graphics set to medium and getting 65-70 fps

I would honestly up the GFX and aim for around 30-40FPS. My VR aims might be a bit different but Flight Simulators tend to need FAR less FPS, it's more about smoothness which anything over 24fps with decent frametime should have you covered.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I would honestly up the GFX and aim for around 30-40FPS. My VR aims might be a bit different but Flight Simulators tend to need FAR less FPS, it's more about smoothness which anything over 24fps with decent frametime should have you covered.
For the fun of it, i've pushed it to Ultra, 40 fps but keeping an eye on the system so it doesnt get too toasty! No clouds atm though

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting point to note from the vids I've been looking at. It makes VERY good use of multi-core so these processors will be getting a bit of a hammering. With laptops especially it'll be very worthwhile keeping an eye on all those temps. it's one of the few games where it's likely to max out the CPU & the GPU.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Interesting point to note from the vids I've been looking at. It makes VERY good use of multi-core so these processors will be getting a bit of a hammering. With laptops especially it'll be very worthwhile keeping an eye on all those temps. it's one of the few games where it's likely to max out the CPU & the GPU.
So far, in Ultra (no clouds, so less stuff to render) 25fps steady. CPU @ 40% ish load, 70 degrees. GPU memory load is 70% and 70 degrees

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
So far, in Ultra (no clouds, so less stuff to render) 25fps steady. CPU @ 40% ish load, 70 degrees. GPU memory load is 70% and 70 degrees

Ultra may be a step too far as once the clouds and weather dynamics come in that's going to take quite a hit. I would probably aim at high. I think that would be a fair push. If you go to NY and have a fly over the buildings that should push the limits quite well I imagine.

What is the GPU processor load? I would hope for 98%?

Edit: 80GB down!!

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Got any screengrabs for us to salivate over?
I'm not that savvy to put one up, not boasting or owt but just landed at St Mawgan without a hitch 🤣
Ultra may be a step too far as once the clouds and weather dynamics come in that's going to take quite a hit. I would probably aim at high. I think that would be a fair push. If you go to NY and have a fly over the buildings that should push the limits quite well I imagine.

What is the GPU processor load? I would hope for 98%?

Edit: 80GB down!!
HW Monitor doesnt show GPU load does it? Must admit fps dropped to 17 during a barrel roll at 500 feet🤣🤣

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
I love flight sims. It's what got me into VR properly and I've got a fair bit of experience with them. I've got the Hotas x56 just now but it's attached to my sim-rig for VR. It's suited OK-ish for my TV but definitely not ideal. I don't have a monitor setup or anything like that but I do have a hotdesk upstairs with 2 monitors that I could possibly make use of (my office).

I would definitely consider the game without any addons. At this moment I can't see why addons would be necessary as everything I've seen puts everything current in the shade. I have a ton of ORBX stuff and it made a HUGE difference to FSX for me but this is just another level entirely.

If you get the chance, have a look at the last video I posted on this thread. Young lad from Singapore putting the game through its paces and showing off some features that I didn't know existed. It's a long watch but a very worthwhile one to show you what to expect and the sort of experience that's offered.

Its not so much scenery add-ons, its aircraft. I am not really into VFR prop plane flying, more a heavy metal tube liner guy:) So I will be waiting until FSLabs, PMDG, Aerosoft and QualityWings etc come over. I coudln't use any of the default A\C, would drive me insane lol