MSFS release August 18th!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Does the active pause work for you guys? Any time I hit active pause the airspeed drops or increases to the point where when I unpause, I have no forward movement and fall like as tone, or I instantly end up doing 500+MPH and my plane breaks.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I was on pause whilst at low level at Orlando, gawking at the detail of Disney World and even though the plane was supposed to be frozen it crashed into the ground?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I was on pause whilst at low level at Orlando, gawking at the detail of Disney World and even though the plane was supposed to be frozen it crashed into the ground?
PLANE CRASHES ON DISNEYWORLD

by our correspondent

An aircraft crashed on to Disney World this morning. An eyewitness, a Mr Grumpy Wurzel, said 'it just hung in the air at low level and then crashed into the ground!'. Disney World staff are assisting the police in a search for the pilot. A park spokesman said that he thought the pilot was probably gawking at the park and forgot he was flying the plane.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been doing tonnes of homework on this game, swotting as much as I can so I'll feed back my findings.

The main ones so far....

Active pause is a bit problematic as above
Autopilot is a bit problematic
If you're using Nvidia make sure you have the latest drivers, there has been an FS2020 update that makes a big impact
If you are using an AMD chip, go into the BIOS and switch off SMT for an immediate FPS boost (I don't).
The axis settings are in the controller under a "Sensitivity" button. That one had me scratching my noggon for ages.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
PLANE CRASHES ON DISNEYWORLD

by our correspondent

An aircraft crashed on to Disney World this morning. An eyewitness, a Mr Grumpy Wurzel, said 'it just hung in the air at low level and then crashed into the ground!'. Disney World staff are assisting the police in a search for the pilot. A park spokesman said that he thought the pilot was probably gawking at the park and forgot he was flying the plane.
Our correspondent on the ground you mean mate, with his head on fire too!!

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I've been doing tonnes of homework on this game, swotting as much as I can so I'll feed back my findings.

The main ones so far....

Active pause is a bit problematic as above
Autopilot is a bit problematic
If you're using Nvidia make sure you have the latest drivers, there has been an FS2020 update that makes a big impact
If you are using an AMD chip, go into the BIOS and switch off SMT for an immediate FPS boost (I don't).
The axis settings are in the controller under a "Sensitivity" button. That one had me scratching my noggon for ages.
If you are flying the Aviat Pitts mate, just a warning, she's a bit twitchy!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Prior to the driver update I was hitting between 30 and 40 fps on ultra. After the driver update I've been mostly over 50fps. The big difference is the micro-stutters have completely disappeared for me. This was my main concern for VR.

I edited the sensitivity of all of the axis and it's made a HUGE difference to the feel of control of the rudder etc. It's made such an improvement. Little bit of trial and error but every axis needs at least a little bit of a dead zone dialed in.

GPU usage is now between 70 & 100%. Most of the time it sits around 70-80%. I tried gaming with the system on "Quiet" and it ran absolutely fine. CPU wasn't over 65C but the GPU did peak a little at low 70s (73 in screenshot below). After that I ran it on the extreme profile. I didn't take a screenshot but checking a few of my video runs the GPU hovers around 65C and the CPU dropped to 55C. CPU usage for me is showing fairly minimal to be honest. I'm not sure what the limitation is with the system to try and push the frame rates but there will be improvements to come no doubt. It runs perfectly for me now though, as I said the micro stutters was the main thing. The game is absolutely stunning.

g8qZgO1.png

I'm getting a much better feel for the controls etc now. Feeling much more comfortable. I'm also choosing to do the full checklist from gate to gate. Still got the co-pilot handling the ATC though as that just does my nut in.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There were a few mentions on the Steam discussions where once landed the game doesn't seem to end. By sheer fluke I solved that little mystery. Once you taxi into your parking spot or gate number you need to follow the shutdown procedure. The main aspects of this are engine shutdown and then switching off the master control switches. Once you do that the end flight screen will come up and you will be able to end the trip elegantly.

There were also other mentions of awards not being given etc so I'm wondering if you need to go through the above procedure to get given them...... a proper end to the flight.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Went for a visit to NY this afternoon. This game is just insane how detailed it is. The lighting, shadows and everything is just sublime.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yeah, I've got everything maxed out to see how much I can push it. I'm only on 1080p so set it all on Ultra, live weather and full on multiplayer. New york is the toughest challenge my system has had so far. Again it's not being fully utilised but still managing 30fps.

Will be good once we can get the GPU/CPU being fully itilised to make the most of it. Right now I'm not quite sure what the bottleneck is as I'm sitting around 60% CPU and 60/70% GPU in NY. Certain areas the GPU gets 95+ usage which I would be more expecting of.

Gavras

Master Poster
As an update to the buying for £1 using Xbox beta PC pass, it also looks like if I upgrade to the premium deluxe it’s £83 for the change from standard to top version.

Currently debating that as its saves about £30

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Would you not need to keep paying for the pass as well as the £83 though? Or are you saying that you can just pay the £83 and you get the lot and don't need to pay the pass anymore?

Gavras

Master Poster
Would you not need to keep paying for the pass as well as the £83 though? Or are you saying that you can just pay the £83 and you get the lot and don't need to pay the pass anymore?
Exactly that.

it appears that the upgrade is £83 and then can cancel but keep, as the upgrade is outside the pass.

Seems strange, and most likely a catch some place, as I can’t believe its that simple, Microsoft are not that crazy.

i only plan to keep the pass for two months, as I said originally it’s a case of try before I buy properly (although tempted to go DCS Sim route).

in a separate note, did my first trans Atlantic route, Scotland - Iceland - Canada - US.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Will only be of any use for a niche set of users I guess but just to say that the game works flawlessly on the NVidia Shield when streaming through your own library.

I spent a number of hours playing the game using both my Nvidia controller (Which maps as an XBox controller) and a keyboard/mouse combo. I was surprised that the keyboard and mouse worked effortlessly. The Controller needed some setting up, the Axis needed to be dumbed WAYYY down.

Works brilliantly though. Not even seen as much as a stutter in the game (which I'm amazed at). Almost completed the first bush run from my bed haha.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
Will only be of any use for a niche set of users I guess but just to say that the game works flawlessly on the NVidia Shield when streaming through your own library.

I spent a number of hours playing the game using both my Nvidia controller (Which maps as an XBox controller) and a keyboard/mouse combo. I was surprised that the keyboard and mouse worked effortlessly. The Controller needed some setting up, the Axis needed to be dumbed WAYYY down.

Works brilliantly though. Not even seen as much as a stutter in the game (which I'm amazed at). Almost completed the first bush run from my bed haha.
I tried the first bush trial and got hopelessly lost..... back to school methinks

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I struggled with the very first go at it. I've got a total knack for it now though. Practice makes perfect I guess.

My trick is to get stable flight, active pause and then scout around with the drone to look for the aforementioned landmarks from the heading information :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Haven’t actually watched this through yet, but Jay is usually quite good on his videos, so there may be some handy advice performance tweaks here: