My verdict on BF3...

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Im actually surprised at how easily it runs the game. In Coop yesterday I was getting about 140 fps on ultra everything and AA / MSAA also completely maxed.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Everything about BF3 is epic. Love everything except for two things.

First of all, the lack of weapon stats, all you can see is the weapon rate and size of the ammo. All you can judge the weapons on is the feel of it. Bit annoying if you ask me as it takes a few hours to get the attachments you want for your favorite weapon. I play support, and I keep going back to my M248 every time, tried the M60 since it was the hardest hitting in BFBC2, but it feels rubbish in BF3, but that might be because I have the attachments I want on the other, now got over 800 kills with the M248.

Second thing I don't really like is the lack of wilderness maps, too much warfare in city enviorments, would like to see some more forrest / open green field maps. I find myself playing Caspian boarder far more then the rest.

Oh a 3rd thing, in BFBC2 I only ever played Rush because it was epic, not so much so in BF3, they're too bottlenecked, attackers just run into a bottleneck and get mangled by the defenders.

Other then those things, the game looks epic, it sounds epic, it feels epic (if you dont count the odd tiny debree you keep getting stuck in rather then run over.)
I find myself loving the battlelog system, and all in all it's the best BF game since the first BF which is hard to beat.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I get the feeling they will tweak Rush soon. On 64 player, rarely does the attacking side get passed the first 2 caps...and if they do manage to squeeze passed them, they fall flat on the 2nd.

No idea how they could do it, but as you say, it is far too easy to defend at present...that being said, I still have a blast either doing the defending, and even running headlong on a suicide mission...THAT is how good this game actually is :D

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Everything about BF3 is epic. Love everything except for two things.

First of all, the lack of weapon stats, all you can see is the weapon rate and size of the ammo. All you can judge the weapons on is the feel of it. Bit annoying if you ask me as it takes a few hours to get the attachments you want for your favorite weapon. I play support, and I keep going back to my M248 every time, tried the M60 since it was the hardest hitting in BFBC2, but it feels rubbish in BF3, but that might be because I have the attachments I want on the other, now got over 800 kills with the M248.

I had overlooked this. It is definitely a bit weird that they have left out the weapon stats. Considering almost every military shooter has them, including the Bad Company games it's a bit bizarre that they aren't in BF3?

I think I hadn't noticed because I haven't unlocked enough weapons yet.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I had overlooked this. It is definitely a bit weird that they have left out the weapon stats. Considering almost every military shooter has them, including the Bad Company games it's a bit bizarre that they aren't in BF3?

I think I hadn't noticed because I haven't unlocked enough weapons yet.

Well I'm level 22, and I've maxed out my Support class, got all the attachments for my favourite, the first unlocked weapon, the M248 or M240, its 24 something. Got over 800 kills with it, and it's a bit annoying that I can't see any stats, I've kept playing with the M248 because I enjoy the sound and rate of fire on it. I always play with extra ammo so got 200 in the clip, and love the crossair that's shaped like a T, sadly its the last unlock on the support guns so I cba to get it on the weapons I don't enjoy as much. But hard to get the same idea of what the weapon is like without struggling through getting the unlocks again :p

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i belive they are planning to add weapons to the dlc in december as well as some of the best multiplayer maps to ever be made :D

MeveM

Bright Spark
i belive they are planning to add weapons to the dlc in december as well as some of the best multiplayer maps to ever be made :D

It's not so much the lack of weapons, it's the lack of stats for the weapons :p
But more weapons is always lovely ^^

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
That'd be the Back to Karararararaarakand update that we all got because we were all good little cherubs and bought the limited edition right? :D

Dayve

I think the lack of weapon stats shown might be because they're all essentially the same, apart from rate of fire. The assault class unlock weapons each do pretty much the same damage as the first one that you don't have to unlock. The machine pistol weapons for the engineer class all do the same damage, just differ in rate of fire and modes of fire. If they actually made the weapons different in damage then it would ultimately kill variety, as everybody would just use the one that does the most damage and you'd never see anybody using the ones that do less damage except noobs who haven't unlocked the good ones yet.

I agree about the lack of "proper BF" maps. I think there are 4 that you could consider big, proper BF maps on conquest mode for 64 players. Caspian, Kharg Island, Op Firestorm and another one I'm forgetting the name of. The rest always end up in a bottleneck in the middle of the map where RPG's carry the day. My clan server just took Metro off the conquest rotation for that reason. Every round is the same, bottleneck in the middle with RPG's flying past your head every second, and as soon as you stand up to fire you're killed by one of the 30 snipers per team. There are other maps like that as well. I haven't learned the names yet but one of them has a tunnel in the middle of the map, that's where the bottleneck always happens.

Even the big, "proper BF" maps don't feel as big as they did in BF2. They actually are as big, but the flags are all bunched in the middle which I find retarded. It's like the developers want every map to end up as only 10% of the entire space of the map being used, and being used as a blazing ruined battlefield by most players on the server. It feels like they want people to win rounds by going toe to toe with the enemy in a tiny space in the middle of the map, rather than actually using the size of the map for assaults on certain locations as in BF2.

And BTW, we're not actually getting the Karkand map, or Gulf of Oman, or any of the other maps from BF2, we're getting new maps that are inspired by those old maps, not identical. So in other words for Karkand we're getting another map that will end up in one unmanageable bottleneck like all the other infantry maps, not the map I remember as being rather huge and open to many different ways of assaulting the enemy positions rather than just going down the middle and stepping in to a tiny little square of the map that's erupting in explosions, RPG's and gunfire.

MeveM

Bright Spark
If the weapons all have the same stats then awesome, can't complain at all, as you said it gives it a lot more variety and that's good. Choose what weapon YOU like best, I just dont want hidden stats.

As for the maps, I think most of them are great, I just think some should be restricted to certain amount of players, as discussed, too much bottlenecking, even on some conquest maps.

Don't get me wrong, BF3 is awesome and I'll be playing it the minute I get home from work until I go to bed.

Wish there was more vehicles? Does that make sence? there's not enough jeeps. Half the team gets away in vehicles and the last 15+ players have to run 500 yards on foot because there was not enough vehicles with seats for everyone, even on the 64 player maps? Wtf is up with that? The BIG maps are CLEARLY made for 64 players, yet theres a massive lack of transport, that's what makes Battlefield Battlefield and not CoD, vehicles. Give us more vehicles.

On firestorm I think you get 3 tanks and 1 jeep. What? 3 armoured attack vehicles, and 1 transport vehicle? Ridicules. Same with the flag points, the Office in Firestorm has 1 jeep, the other sites dont have any, army base has 1.

Dayve

If the weapons all have the same stats then awesome, can't complain at all, as you said it gives it a lot more variety and that's good. Choose what weapon YOU like best, I just dont want hidden stats.

As for the maps, I think most of them are great, I just think some should be restricted to certain amount of players, as discussed, too much bottlenecking, even on some conquest maps.

Don't get me wrong, BF3 is awesome and I'll be playing it the minute I get home from work until I go to bed.

Wish there was more vehicles? Does that make sence? there's not enough jeeps. Half the team gets away in vehicles and the last 15+ players have to run 500 yards on foot because there was not enough vehicles with seats for everyone, even on the 64 player maps? Wtf is up with that? The BIG maps are CLEARLY made for 64 players, yet theres a massive lack of transport, that's what makes Battlefield Battlefield and not CoD, vehicles. Give us more vehicles.

On firestorm I think you get 3 tanks and 1 jeep. What? 3 armoured attack vehicles, and 1 transport vehicle? Ridicules. Same with the flag points, the Office in Firestorm has 1 jeep, the other sites dont have any, army base has 1.

Of course it's great, even with the couple of faults I'm playing it all day since it arrived and will for the foreseeable future. I agree about transports as well. I've not noticed a lack of transports at the start of a map, I usually manage to get something or get IN something, but one thing I have noticed is that when you capture flags they don't spawn on there very often. On Caspian Border, if you're the Russian team, a jeep will spawn on the gas station once you capture and hold it. That's it, as far as I'm aware. Everything else spawns on your main flag. But then again, why would they need to spawn anywhere else? If you're at the gas station, it's only a 10-second run to the hilltop, and from hilltop a 10-second run to forest, and from forest a 10-second run to antenna, or maybe 15 seconds since antenna is the most out of the way flag on the map.

EA! Y U NO SPACE FLAGS OUT MORE!??!?

Perhaps it would be more incentive to play properly as a team if certain flags spawned a tank or APC. There would be a reason to hold that flag, like in BF2 where, with the right teamwork, you could end up with 3 tanks and 2 APC's for your team by capturing and holding certain flags on the map.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Enthusiast
My biggest disappointment with the vehicles is that the quad bikes from BC2 aren't back :( I loved those things. Nothing was as satisfying as loading it with C4 and driving it at a tank.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
My biggest disappointment with the vehicles is that the quad bikes from BC2 aren't back :( I loved those things. Nothing was as satisfying as loading it with C4 and driving it at a tank.

True, but I think theres so much other stuff in the game tht it makes up for it. The engineer class gets those little robot things which coupled with a recon guy with an MAV would be awesome for taking out rush bombs.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster

Loved them too, but the light buggy things almost do the same job...nippy, bigger ofc, but I am sure the principle could still be applied :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I just wanna see more weapons in every single class, more assault rifles, more light/general purpose machine guns, more carbines, more sniper rifles, more more anti tank weapons, more vehicles would be nice too.

those silly humvees/russian versions are stupid though, you shoot one with a ANTI TANK launcher and it does pretty much nothing! it would rip it to pieces, also the anti tank mines are underpowered. this is not a complaint just my opinion on whats kinda annoying.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I just wanna see more weapons in every single class, more assault rifles, more light/general purpose machine guns, more carbines, more sniper rifles, more more anti tank weapons, more vehicles would be nice too.

those silly humvees/russian versions are stupid though, you shoot one with a ANTI TANK launcher and it does pretty much nothing! it would rip it to pieces, also the anti tank mines are underpowered. this is not a complaint just my opinion on whats kinda annoying.

Anti tank mines are not underpowered. Everytime I go over one in a humvee it destroys it, if i roll over it on a tank it disables the tank, which is what it would do normally.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Anti tank mines are not underpowered. Everytime I go over one in a humvee it destroys it, if i roll over it on a tank it disables the tank, which is what it would do normally.

I planted one and a t90 rolled straight over it, then kept on going. lol, I only wanted to blow the tracks off, so i could smash it to pieces with a RPG! Going to have to start stacking the mines like the taliban do! shame we cant create an IED! lol I love anti vehicle hunting, its class, just need more rockets! some gamer hoping he can get some good kills with his tank, lol hahah then i pop up as he drives past and hit the rear of the tank! lol then hit it again before he's realised where it come from!

Tried anti aircraft role, but as the helos know when they are locked on, they just jump out the helo and parachute down. so a bit of a pain to get a kill. But still your have probably saved someone from getting slotted by them.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I planted one and a t90 rolled straight over it, then kept on going. lol, I only wanted to blow the tracks off, so i could smash it to pieces with a RPG! Going to have to start stacking the mines like the taliban do! shame we cant create an IED! lol I love anti vehicle hunting, its class, just need more rockets! some gamer hoping he can get some good kills with his tank, lol hahah then i pop up as he drives past and hit the rear of the tank! lol then hit it again before he's realised where it come from!

Tried anti aircraft role, but as the helos know when they are locked on, they just jump out the helo and parachute down. so a bit of a pain to get a kill. But still your have probably saved someone from getting slotted by them.

Ha I was playing yesterday evening on Caspian border, I got in the tank and thought hmm I wonder if I can hit that attack chopper, my mate tells me I have no chance. One shot is all it took to take that thing out of the sky haha :p I surprised myself tbh lol, dont think I could ever take that shot again, it was blumin miles away lol.