Newbie confusion - wifi connection not working

carmor

Hello. This might be user error, not sure. Just received a new computer and have it hooked up but for some reason my internet connection is extremely slow and / or drops out all the time. I have a laptop in the same location which picks up my network without a problem and signal on the laptop is excellent / strong.

I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 and Windows 7. Would really appreciate help with this if you have any suggestions; happy to provide more information :)

carmor

Hi Vanthus. Yes, antennas are connected. :) I am wondering if this has something to do with Kaspersky? Am using an old 2008 macbook in same location with no network issues at all. New computer struggles to pick up signal. Have tried moving computer around the room and repositioning antennae but have had no joy.

carmor

Further info for the experts out there :D. I've run the system in 'safe with network' mode and the connection is snappy. However, when I reboot in regular windows 7 mode and then check the status of the Edimax Wireless Lan card it shows up as Weak and when I run the diagnostic testing mode it 'failed to create the command file!!!' when starting the diagnostic gateway ping test (whatever that is). Should I be concerned about the triple exclamation marks in the error message :D? [I bought this system for online gaming and so really am hoping to get this working - huge thanks in advance for any input on offer...]

Fear

Prolific Poster
I know you tried moving the PC but have you tried moving the router to a different spot and you could maybe see if there are any updated drivers sorry if you have tried all that but i hate wireless it gives me too many headaches, if you can i would recommend trying some homeplugs they are really good and reliable.

carmor

Hi Fear - thanks for your response. I'm using a laptop in the same place with very strong signal and no difficulties whatsoever until connecting with the brand new system. Might try the home plugs you recommend but am disappointed that I would have to purchase something else to get this computer working. Surely the brand new wifi card should do the trick? Will look into this option however...but this is a bit frustrating. To rub salt in the wound my husband is being very Smug with me for moving from a Mac (which had no difficulties but has cr**y graphics) to a PC (with fab new graphics card etc etc).

Fear

Prolific Poster
Well as soon as you get sorted you can return the smug look of being a PC owner with top looking graphics ;) i have a netgear wi-fi router and my HP laptop would get full bars but the USB dongle i had for the desktop was a real pain sometimes it worked sometimes it wouldn't, you could try what i used to do and switch everything off all computers, router and modem then switch them all back on just leave 1 minute inbetween turning them all on starting from the modem then the router then your new PC and see if that sorts it most of the time it worked for me well it was either that or something spotted me reaching for the magic hammer :hammer:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
As some people have said it can just be the wireless card.

I have 3 laptops I use on a daily bases and 2 PCs all wireless, I am on the far end of the house with my apple time capsule being at the other end. These are signals on N networks or G when the computer doesnt support N.

Sony Vaio = 30% signal
Dell Studio 1535 = 50% signal
MacBook Pro 15" = 20% signal (interestingly if i sit about 3 foot to my left I get nearly 60% signal)
Both my PCs with pci-e cards get 25% signal.

Id suggest if gaming in an area where wireless is a bit iffy, get yourself a set of Homeplugs, I use them all the time, work really well.