no beeps,blank screen

artas3d

Hi.

Just received my pc today and was extatic to get it up n running. unfortunately, as I turn it on my monitor stay blank(tried 2 monitors aswell as trying them with my old pc, both work so its not the monitors fault) there is no beeping sounds or anything. Fans start up normally. Also,strangely the fron led on the case does not light up anymore(after 3 or 4 start ups) when its turned on, probs not relevent but still. As far as I am concered all the cables are firmly in.

PC specs:

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard
ASUS® M4A79XTD EVO: DUAL DDR3, S-ATA II, 2 x PCIe x16, 2 x PCIe x1, 2 x PCI

Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5830 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

2nd Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5830 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

<added these just in case>

Power Supply & Case Cooling
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan

Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER

Any advice would be nice,looking forward to hearing from ya

Regards,
Robert.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
I'm guessing something has probably come loose in transit, so you might need to check that everything is seated correctly and connected correctly inside the PC.

Maestro

You have two gpu's, whic one are you connecting to. Have you tried powering down the pc and moving the dvi cable to the next port, and powering up again.

artas3d

Rakk, as far as I am concerned everything seems to be in place and connected.

Maestro, yup Ive tried both gpu's (crossfire connected) with two diff monitors still no response at all from the monitors. The only thing that comes up is 'no signal' on the monitor.

Dunno if this will be important but, as I was taking out the pc out the box i heard some noises, looked inside to see the top case fan and the titan fenrir fan both had fallen of their places, as I could say I am failry good with pcs ive decided to put them back in place and connected both. Could it be that through unfortunate measures while in tranist the fans could have damaged any other componentes?

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Possible, have you checked that the 6x PCIe power connectors for both GPUs are all still fully inserted?

artas3d

Yup, ive checked every single possible cable. Also, without the ram inside there is still no beeps to notify that there isint ram in. Any idea what fails here ? motherboard ? bios fail?

Maestro

This is almost certainly the processor that has been pulled out of the socket slightly. It is notorious on amd motherboards as the socket is rubbish. If only they were like the intel sockets. If the pc had a bump in transit which caused the fan on the titan fenrir to come off then it is a good bet that the heatsink part of the fenrir has pulled on the processor. I would suggest taking the fenrir off, removing the processor and reseating it, then re connecting the fenrir. Job Done.
I know you have requested an rma, but nothing can happen over the weekend so you have nothing to loose. Your warranty will not be voided by doing this, and it might just mean you dont have to return the pc.

Maestro

is that when you leave one module in, and then swap it over? Also clear the cmos. take out the motherboard battery, leave it out a few seconds and replace..

artas3d

gimme few mins gotta take out the 2nd gpu to get to the battery
and yup ive tried with a single ram at a time

Maestro

can i ask where you are plugging the monitor in. Have you tried all the ports on the gpus. There may not be any beeps, some motherboards dont have an internal speaker.

artas3d

considering i have 2 gpu's for crossfire i take it that the 2nd(the lower one) is a slave, but ive tried both and still 'no signal' appears

artas3d

My worst fears are that when it comes back from Rma it still might have the same prob cuz whats there to stop it from being banged up in transit again =/

Maestro

it would be very unusual for this sort of thing to happen twice. I must admit I am a bit confused that all the suggestions have not worked. The fan on the fenrir is only light plastic, so could not have done much damage, and in similar instances in the past it was simply the processor that had been pulled slightly out of the socket.
We will see what it was when we get it back.