PC vs MAC LOL

onlynik

Enthusiast
There's a Mac in our house, but the wife normally uses it, as she used it for uni. I've tried to use it, but I find it very difficult to do the things I want to do, especially when I wanted to ping something to test connectivity.

I don't need to learn how to use it.

Quattrix

There's a Mac in our house, but the wife normally uses it, as she used it for uni. I've tried to use it, but I find it very difficult to do the things I want to do, especially when I wanted to ping something to test connectivity.

I don't need to learn how to use it.

Hrmm, this is no difference from using a pc open up command prompt (or terminal in unix / mac) and type ping -c 3 www.google.com (-c 3 is so it only does it 3 times)

Quattrix

Ah true, yea I added the terminal to the dock :).

One thing annoying is as I do use linux quite often some of the commands are missing from mac ><.

2 weeks ago, i purchased one of the latest 21" i5 2.7GHZ etc ... £1.3k ... (mind you i have an iPhone, 2x Ipad, Mac BookPro etc ...) well, i don't want to sound too simplistic but being an Apple converted i tell you this: iMacs are a lovely, sexy, fast piece of crap !!!! Why am i saying that? Well, firs of, pricey, second, little to none upgradeability, third, the famous yellow tint on the screens ...) How can a company like that, sells sub-standards articles to people? well i don't know ... worst, how can people buy and live something that is not up to a decent quality? bottom line, sent it back, period! i came in here and for the same amount of money, got something probably 25% faster, with better capabilities, bigger storage, better graphics and listen friends, please listen ;-) i can service it myself ... i think i will be missing running my FCP and Logic etc ... in a faster Mac but hey, i can't nor can anyone else, pay £1.3k for a screen that looks yellowish .... so i am afraid that it's back to be a PC again ... full steam !!!!

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
2 weeks ago, i purchased one of the latest 21" i5 2.7GHZ etc ... £1.3k ... (mind you i have an iPhone, 2x Ipad, Mac BookPro etc ...) well, i don't want to sound too simplistic but being an Apple converted i tell you this: iMacs are a lovely, sexy, fast piece of crap !!!! Why am i saying that? Well, firs of, pricey, second, little to none upgradeability, third, the famous yellow tint on the screens ...) How can a company like that, sells sub-standards articles to people? well i don't know ... worst, how can people buy and live something that is not up to a decent quality? bottom line, sent it back, period! i came in here and for the same amount of money, got something probably 25% faster, with better capabilities, bigger storage, better graphics and listen friends, please listen ;-) i can service it myself ... i think i will be missing running my FCP and Logic etc ... in a faster Mac but hey, i can't nor can anyone else, pay £1.3k for a screen that looks yellowish .... so i am afraid that it's back to be a PC again ... full steam !!!!

Hmm thts odd, i have a 28inch imac and a 15 inch macbook pro (last years model) and dont have any sort of yellow tint on either. I also think if you purchase it for the right reasons then things like upgradability dont become an issue. For me my macs are programming machiens and I find them a lot better to program on than any windows or linux based pcs. Hardware wise im nto bothered what I have i3 is fast enough to do most stuff and if not i use the i5 btu its plenty fast enough for anything im likley to do in the next few years in terms of programming.

fair enough ... all i can say is that i have been put off for a while of getting an iMac and the next time that i even consider one, i will ensure that i run "imac issues" or "imac problems" in Google and then take it from there .... for anyone interested, just simply run "imac yellow" in Google and see what's the issue ... if you have time to read thousand's of people's complaints ;-)

From one of the main threads ...

1. Yellow Tinge is a color uniformity issue for both 21.5" and 27" iMacs
2. Not everyone have the issue, but it is extremely common.
3. There's a difference in severity of yellowing. Some reports cite that yellowing worsens over time while there are some that said it had remained the same.
4. The issue is NOT a backlight leak nor backlight inconsistency. This is a color inconsistency issue. If you desaturate photos taken of the yellow tinged display, you will see even backlighting.
5. It is not GPU specific. Reported issue seen on Nvidia 9400M, ATI HD4670, ATI HD4850.
6. It is not CPU specific. Seen on Core 2 Duo, Core i5, Core i7.
7. It does not affect External Displays, only present on the iMac 21.5/27 display.
8. Also occurs in Windows running in Bootcamp, so it is very likely a hardware defect.
9. PRAM reset does not help. Reinstallation does not help.
10. Issue remains regardless of brightness level.
11. Issue remains regardless if display is near speakers / magnets.
12. Issue remains regardless of viewing angle. Looking directly, up or down or from the side. Watch for it carefully.
13. Some displays may have more yellowing on the left, center or the right side of the affected area (from mid towards the bottom).
14. Some of Apple's 24" LED Cinema Display also exhibit this issue.
15. First batch of refurbished 21.5" iMacs also exhibit the issue.
16. This is not a discoloration of the glass itself.
17. The firmware update from December 21st 2009 does not fix the issue.
18. Previous generation 24" iMac's yellow tint issue, link, is similar but goes horizontally across the screen.
19. This may not be a LED problem.
20. The firmware update from February 2010 does not fix the issue.

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
I like Macs myself - yes, they are expensive, they are stylish, they are a bit snobbish but I bought a MacBook Pro 13" and loved it for what it was. Simple to use and rarely if ever crashed. They are even making great progress in attracting games towards it although still WAY off PC's of course.

In the end, the PC has prevailed with me because I play too much games, fiddle too much with settings, programs and like to keep up with the latest tech that automatically get released for Windows first.

The result is that I am selling my Macbook now to get a gaming PC. Nuff said.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I prefer PCs as I'm not a pretentious ****!

I prefer mac because im not a poor *******.

We can all throw insults around, but theyre nto gonna get us anywhere. As most people in this thread have stated the reason they prefer one system over the other is because it does what they need to do better. For me as a programming machine I cant go wrong with my mac, its much easier because of its UNIX backend and yet still runs many applications which linux just wont.

Sleinous

Author Level
I like the concept behind the mac, I don't like the fact that they overcharge for every component in their builds. Even unbranded memory is overcharged. Inetl / AMD CPU's all come in at teh same price, they shouldn't be more expensive just because they are used in a Mac. Same story for GPUs, and goodness knows why they insist on using such old generations of GPUs. Oh yes, I bet it's because they both up all teh EOL stock and sell it at inflated prices..

Other than that, it does the job. If the price actually reflected the RRP of the components used I wouldn't have any issues with them. It's how they rip so many people off that gets to me.

pr1s0ner

I'm not in any way a mac user, rarely use a mac, & don't have an ipad, or an iphone, but there is some justification to their higher pricing; other than just the snobbish fashion statement. When you buy any apple product your paying to run their company and that includes a lot of development, and overheads that dont apply to a lot of pc companies.

Sleinous

Author Level
In that case that price should be displayed in the OS ;)

When you spec an iMac for example, and then change up your CPU, GPU or even RAM, the prices just don't add up at all.

Mattyp

Enthusiast
I prefer mac because im not a poor *******.

We can all throw insults around, but theyre nto gonna get us anywhere. As most people in this thread have stated the reason they prefer one system over the other is because it does what they need to do better. For me as a programming machine I cant go wrong with my mac, its much easier because of its UNIX backend and yet still runs many applications which linux just wont.

That's part of what fuels my contempt. I can't afford a MAC :p

My brother has one, as do a few of my friends. They swear by them, but they normally spew out the whole 'they last for years, and don't ever get viruses' thing to justify them spending the money. Where there is an element of truth to that statement, there is more to it than that.

I'll give an honest answer this time. I think Macs are fantastic for creating music, and for being who normally don't get on with technology Apple do make some very user friendly software. But you do pay through the butthole for it. The Iphone price over here is huge compared to other Countries throughout Europe for example.

Sleinous

Author Level
How much do you think it costs Intel to R&D their latest CPU's?

How much do you think it costs Tescos to run their stores? But you dont see them overcharging for the same product you could buy at ASDA, Sainsbury's etc, or even in wholesale.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
It is a poor argument (not saying you support it prisoner :) ) to say they charge more to support the app store. If it was that costly, they should charge people to use to app store, not everyone who buys an apple product.

End of the day, its muppets with too much cash that allow apple to keep their prices high, because even with the stupidly high prices, they still pay them!

As with most things in this world...its the idiot's fault :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I dont think they overcharge tbh, I agree its a bit odd the difference in price when upgrading and although i have no justification for this I would still happily pay the price, not because im loaded (im deffinately not) but because the reliability of apple products is far far far better than any windows machine I have ever used.

My Mac has been on for probably about 2.5 months now without restart, its not lagging, its never crashed, Ive never had compatability issues witrh anything, applications are drag and drop install so all files are generally contained within the app file itself.

Overall, disregarding linux, I think osx has been by far the most stable system ive used, and taking into account compatibility and compilation issues on linux id say overall macs are competely worth every penny. I dont have a problem spending 1.5K on a laptop equivalent to a £800 - £900 windows laptop because I know I wont get any issues with my mac.