PC vs MAC LOL

pr1s0ner

Windows isn't any more user friendly than any other os you just know it. The only thing it genuinely has that other systems don't is the size of its customer base, which is probably its biggest weakness as well as its strength

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Linux is not user friendly like a Windows PC or a Mac. PC has eveything the others have and more.

Common misconception, I would quite happily setup a complete pc beginner on something like Ubuntu, fair enough it can be tricky sometimes on linux to recompile some program or change some of the other backend settings via the terminal, but for the average user they wont notice a difference between this and windows. Especially with gnome 3 now being released, once that comes to Ubuntu I think it will actually bring the best bits of windows and mac to linux desktop. Obviously if you want to game then its not worth it, btu for the average user linux is a brilliant way to go. and most deffinately user friendly.

LDUK

Master Poster
Common misconception, I would quite happily setup a complete pc beginner on something like Ubuntu, fair enough it can be tricky sometimes on linux to recompile some program or change some of the other backend settings via the terminal, but for the average user they wont notice a difference between this and windows. Especially with gnome 3 now being released, once that comes to Ubuntu I think it will actually bring the best bits of windows and mac to linux desktop. Obviously if you want to game then its not worth it, btu for the average user linux is a brilliant way to go. and most deffinately user friendly.

But there is still no advantage for the average user to use Linux. A beginner would soon run into problems, with program compatibility and what not.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
But there is still no advantage for the average user to use Linux. A beginner would soon run into problems, with program compatibility and what not.

I dont think the average user would have problems at all, the average user looks to surf the internet and use a word processor, also probably email, view photos, play videos that sort of thing. The "average" pc user doesn't do anything that would encounter any compatability issues on linux.

I think the problem is that Linux is too often thought of as the still too complicated OS that it used to be. Ubuntu 11.04 is incredibly easy to use, if I was installing a new pc for parents or grandparents or friends that wanted it for the general browsing word processing etc I would without a doubt install Ubuntu over windows.

LDUK

Master Poster
I dont think the average user would have problems at all, the average user looks to surf the internet and use a word processor, also probably email, view photos, play videos that sort of thing. The "average" pc user doesn't do anything that would encounter any compatability issues on linux.

I think the problem is that Linux is too often thought of as the still too complicated OS that it used to be. Ubuntu 11.04 is incredibly easy to use, if I was installing a new pc for parents or grandparents or friends that wanted it for the general browsing word processing etc I would without a doubt install Ubuntu over windows.

I'm sure many average users haven't even heard of Linux. Say they have, and have linux, the might find software on the net that they wish to purchase, and may do, only to find it doesn't work on their linux system lol.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I dare you to try and name a mainstream bit of software that doesnt run on Windows (and no you can't use Windows ME as an excuse!) :D

pr1s0ner

hahahaha its more a case of people buying and downloading software that wont run on their spec.
But if your talking about novice PC users then thats unbelievably common

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Ok, hand on heart and tell me this isn't the most evil Penguin since Feathers McGraw?!

linux.jpg

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If linux had full game and software compatibility i would most certainly replace windows with it, wine just doesnt do it for me

UndeadJack

Master Poster
If linux had full game and software compatibility i would most certainly replace windows with it, wine just doesnt do it for me

I only use windows for gaming. Apart from that I hackintosh for my OS. I haven't gamed in a while since I only get 1fps in Dalaran...

Quattrix

Okay, I actually switched from pc to mac four years ago. But for completely different reasons and I'm now switching back because I hate what the company stands for.

The reason I switched was prior to this I've always used cheap laptops (this hopefully was my problem) and they would last 1 year and 1 month, just outside of warranty.
Hopefully this won't be an issue with the clevo as I hear they are excellent.

How I feel about the OS: It is actually good for people who can't diagnose and repair computers, saying that it is starting to breed people who work in the it field who know nothing.
Someone at my gfs got a job and she didn't understand what open a folder meant! I have and still use Linux Windows and Mac. (Though dropping mac when my vortex II arrives :)) and all operating systems have there pluses and minuses.

How I feel about the laptop: It is designed very well, had my macbook pro for 3 years now and it has fallen from table height a few times and it is still going strong with no dents or scratches.

How I feel about the Fanboyism: I'm sick of being called a fan boy just because I use a mac, especially when I don't hate windows, hate the ipod / iphone. I just wanted to buy a laptop that would last.

How I feel about Apple: Fed up with them, there new os lion has fanboys all over the place talking about it, when to me it is pointless they added a full screen showing you your apps designed to look like the iphone, what the hell is the point of the apps folder then? The only nice thing I guess is making versions of your documents, but I use a git repository for that.