PC vs MAC LOL

GeorgeC

This is a marketing thing. Macs have virus' and in fact Apple have been outed as the tech company with most vulnerabilities in their software this year.

Besides, if you truly wanted no virus' then you'd be running Linux.

Macs are overpriced, underspecced and can't do "video editing" any better than a PC. The whole "video editing" myth only comes about because Apple bundle the software to do it with their machines so the two get associated. In actuality it's cheaper to just get a higher specced PC with the same money.

I was disgusted when I found that a £2300 Mac Pro was worse than my £640 desktop from PCS. Who the heck buys these - it's utterly mind boggling. Actually I do know who buys them - computer ignorant 60 year olds lured in by the Apple store.

Bah, I'm ranting now. Apple goods make me lose all faith in humanity. Good lord, just because it's shiny, white and has a pretty aero effect it doesn't mean you have to buy it - you're not a firefly!

*shakes fist at sky*

pengipete

Rising Star
Besides, if you truly wanted no virus' then you'd be running Linux.

Unless you count any of the following...

Trojans

* Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[21]
* Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[22]
* Waterfall screensaver backdoor - on gnome-look.org[23]
* Droiddream[24]

Viruses

* 42 [25][26]
* Arches [27]
* Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[28]
* Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[8][29]
* Binom - Linux/Binom[30]
* Bliss - requires root privileges
* Brundle[31]
* Bukowski[32]
* Caveat [33][34]
* Coin [35][36]
* Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[37]
* Hasher [38][39]
* Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[40]
* Kagob b - Virus.Linux.Kagob.b[41]
* Lacrimae (aka Crimea) [42][43]
* MetaPHOR (also known as Simile)[44]
* Nuxbee - Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403[45]
* OSF.8759
* PiLoT[46][47]
* Podloso - Linux.Podloso (The iPod virus)[48][49]
* RELx [50]
* Rike - Virus.Linux.Rike.1627[51]
* RST - Virus.Linux.RST.a[52] (known for infecting Korean release of Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 and Thunderbird 1.0.2 in September 2005[53])
* Satyr - Virus.Linux.Satyr.a[54]
* Staog - made obsolete by updates
* Vit - Virus.Linux.Vit.4096[55]
* Winter - Virus.Linux.Winter.341[56]
* Winux (also known as Lindose and PEElf)[57]
* Wit virus[58]
* ZipWorm - Virus.Linux.ZipWorm[59]

Worms

* Adm - Net-Worm.Linux.Adm[60]
* Adore[61]
* Cheese - Net-Worm.Linux.Cheese[62]
* Devnull
* Kork[63]
* Linux/Lion
* Linux/Lupper.worm[64]
* Mighty - Net-Worm.Linux.Mighty[65]
* Millen - Linux.Millen.Worm[66]
* Ramen worm - targeted versions 6.2 and 7.0 of the Red Hat Linux distributions only
* Slapper[67]
* SSH Bruteforce[68]

SOURCE - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

Tom DWC

Dispels the myth that it's free from malware!

Maybe Mac and Linux are more secure than Windows, and maybe they aren't; but the way I look at it, if you were targeting an operating system then why set your sights on Mac or Linux when Windows controls over 90% of the market? It has a pretty big bullseye on it. As it always has.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
I used a Mac mini for a while, a while aog now, it was quite nice, great for checking my emails on, nice little system, but then, after being told it would not be affected by things that affect Pc's, a simple little USB Hub killed it, and back to the dreaded retailer I bought it from, full cash refund, and a new graphics card and RAM for my tower, lubbly jubbly :)

The mac mini was the only thing I ever saw buying in a mac without having to remortgage a home to get a decent spec, it had better specs than current miniPCs (ion based) and cost less, but all in all I don't like them. Then they stopped doing them I think? Or I haven't checked is the more likely thing.

GeorgeC

My point was that the argument that a Mac OS is better than Windows due to having less virus' is silly as Linux has even less. Besides, "no virus'" is blatantly an exaggeration, I'm just going along with the faux ideal of protection people want to have. The way I see it the *free* Linux distros trump any Mac OS in all respects, and in terms of hardware there is no point in ever buying a Mac because it's massively overpriced. Thus the only logical thing to do is use either Windows 7 or a free Linux distro on a computer you built yourself or had made for you.

Macs are designed for gullible and rich old people and ignorant teenagers trying to look cool. It irritates me that a company such as Apple is economically viable. (The arguments against them apply to every service and product they provide, not just their Mac range).

pengipete

Rising Star
It irritates me that a company such as Apple is economically viable.

That's as much to do with "rip-off Britain" as it is to do with Apple. In America, iMac's start at around $1100 - that's £675 - and are seen as a reasonable alternative to the sort of systems that many of us have bought from PCS - not top of the range but a cut above the average off-the-shelf PC. (Those prices are from Apple's US and UK websites)

Over here, iMac's start at just over £1000 - almost 50% more for exactly the same item.

pengipete

Rising Star
On the upside, they pay more for their Crown Derby tea-cups - which makes us even.

Probably.

Going lateral - as you do...

Apple, Apricot, Blackberry - what is it with hi-tech and fruit? Are we supposed to think they're healthier? Why not vegetables? Why not make a Sony Swede or a Compaq Courgette? Better still, why not drop the fruity references altogether and reflect the reality of modern life - the LG Lager or the Toshiba Tandoori?

LDUK

Master Poster
On the upside, they pay more for their Crown Derby tea-cups - which makes us even.

Probably.

Apple, Apricot, Blackberry - what is it with hi-tech and fruit? Are we supposed to think they're healthier? Why not vegetables? Why not make a Sony Swede or a Compaq Courgette? Better still, why not drop the fruity references altogether and reflect the reality of modern life - the LG Lager or the Toshiba Tandoori?

Oh god, classic! Thing is, fruit doesn't even sound cool. If they named it some cool names, they might sell better. Who knows? Pokémon names could be a good idea. Like; Sony Zapdos, or a Microsoft Vulpix. Of course, that could backfire if they chose names like; HP Diglett or a Toshiba Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

BAD SANTA

Probably.

Lol

LordBattleBeard

To answer your original question, I prefer PCs. But only because Windows was the first OS I used and see no valid reason to learn how to use another. The advantages were always questionable and even more so with the release of windows 7. As for this whole PC v Mac thing, I respect peoples opinion to prefer MACs, but in return I ask that they respect mine to consider them overpriced glossy toys.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Ok so I use both, everyday, and they are both good for different reasons. I use my mac for programming, I have a macbook pro 15 inch and a 28inch imac, both of which are amazing for programming. Heres the reasons for me why it beats a Windows PC (not linux), essentially OSX is Unix based, which means I can use the terminal the same way I would on Kubuntu, red hat, debian etc, this for me is a lot quicker than using my Finder application on a Mac, I also think its much better than the terminal on windows machines, although this is probably just preference.

For programming itself, eclipse runs much better on my mac than it ever has on any windows machines, workflow is generally better, plus using a touchpad in my opinion is much better than any mouse, four fingers down you get expose (way of displaying all open windows on that particular desktop), four fingers up and you reveal the desktop, other finger combinations do other useful things. Keyboards on macs too are easily the best keyboards ive ever used for programming, the spacing between the keys is absolutely perfect and the travel distance and feedback couldn't be better.

If however we were to compare a Linux PC and a Mac Id have to say in terms of programming they are equal, although this is from someone with alot of experience in compiling software at command line, for an average user installing osftware with a drag and drop on mac would be much simpler.

Gaming and 3D modelling however, I use my PC running Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot. Only because Linux and OSX aren't up to it yet, I dont really enjoy using Windows, I dont like the workflow I get out of it and can't stand things like eclipse, command line, etc in it. Also after converting to mac I hate the wasteful use of the maximise button on windows. The Mac for those who dont know, when you press what you would assume is the maximise button (actually the zoom button) expands the window to show all its contents, not more. This means you dont end up with wasted space within a window, i.e. the edges of a document in word, or the whitespace around a website. This means more information can be displayed on one screen reducing the amount of desktop switching needed.

LDUK

Master Poster
To answer your original question, I prefer PCs. But only because Windows was the first OS I used and see no valid reason to learn how to use another. The advantages were always questionable and even more so with the release of windows 7. As for this whole PC v Mac thing, I respect peoples opinion to prefer MACs, but in return I ask that they respect mine to consider them overpriced glossy toys.

Haha, well said.

pr1s0ner

Were all creatures of habit, you'll inevitably end up using whatever you know how to use, and if that means spending a little bit more on a mac that thats what you'll do. To be fair if your only reason for not buying a mac is because there overpriced then you should be using Linux!
Ive tried all kinds of OS's and always come to back to Debian for the familiarity. For me at least the only thing I would consider Windows for is gaming, and I'm of the 'find mac's too restricting' camp.
I've heard the exact same graphics, and audio arguments from both sides. Neither are better really, just different.

LDUK

Master Poster
Were all creatures of habit, you'll inevitably end up using whatever you know how to use, and if that means spending a little bit more on a mac that thats what you'll do. To be fair if your only reason for not buying a mac is because there overpriced then you should be using Linux!
Ive tried all kinds of OS's and always come to back to Debian for the familiarity. For me at least the only thing I would consider Windows for is gaming, and I'm of the 'find mac's too restricting' camp.
I've heard the exact same graphics, and audio arguments from both sides. Neither are better really, just different.

Linux is not user friendly like a Windows PC or a Mac. PC has eveything the others have and more.