Question regarding PSU with rtx 3060

lukewren702

Hi,

i have recently ordered a pc with a 450w PSU for a rtx 3060 - would this be sufficient or would it be a case of not even attempting to try and power with this wattage (im hopeless with hardware side of things). Should I just upgrade to like a 700w.

Thanks
Luke :)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Post your full spec from your orders page, so we can advise on it, and read the linked post

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi,

i have recently ordered a pc with a 450w PSU for a rtx 3060 - would this be sufficient or would it be a case of not even attempting to try and power with this wattage (im hopeless with hardware side of things). Should I just upgrade to like a 700w.

Thanks
Luke :)
For anything above a basic home or office system, we'd recommend at least a 750W PSU, or 850W PSU ideally. This will allow your PC to run more comfortably and let you upgrafe your GPU down the line without needing to replace the PSU which can be a pretty major job.

If you're a bit unsure on the hardware side of things, we could have a look at the whole build for you? We'll just need your budget, what you'll be using the PC for and what monitor you'll be using (make and model or resolution and refresh rate). To see your full build, follow this guide on how to post it and make sure to include the link, it'll make our lives a lot easier!

lukewren702

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. Below is an image of my ordered build.

Thanks again :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 177

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi,

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

The minimum PSU recommended on that GPU is 550W, but you always want about 100W headroom, so 750W would be the absolute minimum, but we would always recommend 850w as it allows for future potential.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi,

Would you be able to follow the guide that Martin has posted a couple of times so we have it in text form?

Also there's a number of parts we could change about this build as it's quite unbalanced. The thing that sticks out the most is the fact it's Intel. For the majority of use cases, intel is a bad choice and AMD is smashing them out the park. Changing to an AMD would require a cancel and re-order but it'd be well worth it. If you'd like some more info check out this thread.

If you're also able to include your budget, use case and monitor info in your next post, we'll be able to get you a much better optimised system!

lukewren702

Hi,

Ok I will look into this, I will note that I have puchased through finance, will this be an issue in upgrading/changing the order?.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Ok I will look into this, I will note that I have puchased through finance, will this be an issue in upgrading/changing the order?.
You'd have to cancel and start over. I'd get an AMD build ready and then call up PCS and discuss it with them, they may be able to do it without affecting the finance agreement.

GeaFit

Bronze Level Poster
Some big issues with that build mate unfortunately. 450 too low for a power hungry i9 and 3060. Slow ram, not as big an issue for intel. Do I see correctly that you have no SSD? That would be absolutely criminal and massively impact system performance.