Star Wars Old Republic BETA

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I didnt have any problems with dual. TOR sat on my left screen (like WoW does) and I had FF open on the right screen. Few settings in Preferences, like I think Windowed Mode and then uncheck something like "Exclusive Full Screen" or some such, and I could move Mr Mouse to FF and TOR just stays open. I could even run WoW at the same time and go between them. In fact so open was it still that I could still here the music from ToR (not a bad thing).

Often games do what I think you are describing...happy to let you mouse off the game, but will minimise all the same...ToR, for me, did not :)

MeveM

Bright Spark
After spending more or less all available hours from Friday at 4PM to bed time last night (Monday) playing the beta, I'm awestruck, it's absolutely brilliant. There's only a hand full of flaws and a truck load of great stuff. I haven't had so much in a MMO since the first 2 years of WoW.

I'm totally sold, this will be the game I will be spending my spare time enjoying on a daily basis. The voice over quests made the game feel like questing had a meaning, I enjoyed questing, even the small side quests that just ask you to kill x amount of y, it felt as if you had a reason to do it and many times you sympathized with the NPC's and wanted to help.
I also never heard the same voice actor twice over this weekend unlike Skyrim. I found the RPG side of SWTOR as a MMO was far better then even Skyrim as a single player game. Absolutely brilliant game. And remember, we had the beta client, not the full game client, so there's many surprises for everyone on launch. ^^

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
ONe of the funniest criticisms I saw in the general chat levelled at ToR was that "it just feels like a single player game with chat"...

...and I asked the question...exactly how much time did you spend in a group while levelling in any other MMO lately? Yeh, thought so!

I would much rather it be like ToR with a superb SP experience (with ofc Heroic quests and the group stuff still available) from 1 - 50, and then worry about the multiplayer aspect of the MMO :)

All in all, after that weekend, all I can say is

WHY ISN'T IT MID DECEMBER ALREADY!? :D

MeveM

Bright Spark
The group questing is awesome, especially the group chat, it felt really nice, and I quite often ended up going doing dark side quests when I selected a light side answer, however, I got awarded for my intentions which I like, prevents people from griefing.

There's very little I dislike about the game, and none of the few things I dislike are problematic to fix, and they're likely to be fixed/added in the up coming patches or expansions. One is I'd like a 5th male body size in between the 2nd and 3rd option. 3rd buff guy reminds me of Kronk in emperors new groove, and I cant stop hearing his voice in my head when I see them. And the athletic, though the most normal size, could use a bit more of the buff for classes like the trooper/bounty hunter etc.

micgre

Bronze Level Poster
I cant wait till the 15th Dec, I have booked from then to xmas off work, so I have a week and a half of SWTOR....!!!!

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
what happens on the 15th? because i thought eu release was on the 22nd, so that be 17th right? or am i wrong?

and OMG i cant wait to this game comes out, i tried to hold back on the beta because i did't want to do to much to do it all again, think this game might take my life away from me :s haha

Last edited:

micgre

Bronze Level Poster
what happens on the 15th? because i thought eu release was on the 22nd, so that be 17th right? or am i wrong?

and OMG i cant wait to this game comes out, i tried to hold back on the beta because i did't want to do to much to do it all again, think this game might take my life away from me :s haha

EU release is now the same as the US release 20th Dec and I think the early access is being given in stages so not everyone will have the 5 days

Iceash

Bronze Level Poster
I played the sith inquisitor/sorcerer over the beta weekend and have to say i had so much fun, lot's to do with some great pvp warzones as well. As for the little touches like i managed to hit darkside lvl 2 just before it ended and the effect on your eyes and face just added to the choices i was making. granted there are still a few things that need to be fixed and improved but for a start will do nicely. I would have liked to have had a wardrobe for your character, but then when i play a mmo i go for as much of the vanity items i can lay my hands, along with when you played huttball the sound needed fixing as it would play the comentator's comments but you would have no- very little ability sound and i couldn't believe the difference no sound has when fighting other ppl.

Apart from that i am just looking forward to the 15th and hope that i get in on that day.

JSG10

Expert
Agreed with all points there. Wardrobe items would be cool. I was Sith Warrior/Marauder. Duel wield lightsabers is just awesome ^^ lol
PvP was great, although I started getting very fed up of the amount of stuns and knockbacks! lol Also they need to increase the time it takes for you to get kicked if you're at the start area, I bought some stuff from the NPC there, got stuck at the barrier and while waiting for it to drop it kicked me out! lol
Map issues are probably the most irritating bug for me so far, where the main map bugs and you can't see where you are or anyother points on the map, fortunately doesn't affect the mini-map but still very irritating. Hopefully this will get sorted though :)

Hoping for another beta weekend before release, would be good! :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I'm not convinced there will be another weekend, because it really isnt that long til release and of course theyve got to finalise everything and stablise it prior to launch :)

jormcg

Probably won't be another stress test. Unless they delay the launch. The on-going small beta will probably continue, as you say, to allow them to test the final tinkering they'll be doing in the weeks before launch.

Couldn't play beta 'cause my old computer won't run it. New one (by lead times) is due ~15th/16th Dec. Hope it gets here quick so I can launch into the early release!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not sure if this is posted anywhere else, but am reliably informed that you should keep the install you have for the Beta...installed, as it will just need a smallish patch on release to turn it into the live client (textures etc no doubt).

Just so noone thinks of uninstalling/deleting that massive DL they did!

truegrace

Enthusiast
The normal beta is still on going, as said its so close to release now unless there is major problems I cant see another open weekend.

JSG10

Expert
Not sure if this is posted anywhere else, but am reliably informed that you should keep the install you have for the Beta...installed, as it will just need a smallish patch on release to turn it into the live client (textures etc no doubt).

Cheers for that, had already had this thought anyway, would seem daft to make you download or install another 20Gb client! lol

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster

just like to this is right, the beta client from last weekend will be updated for early access launch, cant wait to have a 5 days head start. (i know i will because i preordered on the first day you could)