Star Wars Old Republic BETA

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
tbf wudnt u rather just wait for the release now, now that youve had a glimpse? Although I am invited again too lols

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
In actuality yes French :) There is no neeeeeed to do more, but hey, when something is offered and all that... :D

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
lol haha, well i was jokin anyway, i wanna play but didnt get invite, or atleast not tht i knwo of, i might just try lkogging in anyway this weekend see wot happens haha.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I enjoy beta because I can test classes I don't want to play, which means I can check stuff without ruining the story of my class :) This weekend I intend to look into crafting, I only just touched it last weekend.

Also, wtf is up with Razer? £215 for their new SW:ToR keyboard... That's more then the logitech ones for Gods sake! All it has is laptop designed keys and a row of keys that swap icons and a little screen, that justifies a price of £215? Here I was, about to buy it for my partner for Christmas but that won't be happening now, what a rip off.

JSG10

Expert
Wow.. that is serious money and a serious con! How they can justify that I'll never know. Yet fans of Razer and SW alike will buy it still :(

Dayve

I enjoyed the BETA - only played for about 6 hours though. My access started at 4pm on Saturday. After all the hype that I've seen following the development for 2 years I was kinda underwhelmed at first - the whiners are right about it being a WoW clone, although personally I would call it an MMO clone since they're all basically the same (except EVE), so I think that's what made it underwhelming for me - nothing different, because I played WoW for like 16 hours a day for 3 years.

After about an hour though, and after I realized I had forgotten to turn all my graphics up to max, I really enjoyed it. The quests and voice acting are really top notch. Have got no inclination to cancel my pre-order whatsoever.

MeveM

Bright Spark
About WoW clones etc, I'd like to see if you guys can answer a question every single person who winges about wow clones never answer, I just get ignored, probably because they don't have a answer but want to continue wingeing.

It's a simple question really; How come the MMO genre has the only player base/community that require new MMO's to be created with some kind of magical mystery fairy dust covered innovating content that changes the MMO genre for generations to come.

Racing/F1 Games: Same car makes, different engines etc, F1 cars all look a like, all racing games play on the same racing tracks year after year. You aren't suddely required to drive your car by tilting your monitor or half the map is driven in space or something.

Sports: FIFA, what changes there? Different names and numbers on the shirts, and FIFA 2011 instead of 2010. No sports game has any of this fairy dust content.

FPS: They all follow the same general scheme, BF3, CoD, Counter Strike, Doom, Quake, they all have the same UI, they all have the gun in the same location, the objectives are generally the same, in essence, they're all copies of eachother, noone complains yet there's only minor differences which attracts different playerbases.

In essence, more or less all other game genres work of the same idea/platform with minor tweeks to make it their own, none of them have a player base that are raving about how much of a copy X game is of Y.
In the MMO world the player base is shouting about how much of a copy new MMO's are of WoW, yet when a MMO comes out with new mechanics that's supposed to change the genre; Age of conan for example with it's combat system; it's pounded to the ground about how rubbish it is.

The MMO genre want a game like WoW, but when a game comes out which uses a working platform/mechanics/system such as SWTOR has done then it's still not good enough.
So what is it the MMO genre wants? Why is this genre so special and why on earth is being a WoW copy a bad thing? It's a working system, SWTOR has taken a working system the majority of the MMO player base enjoys, and made their own tweeks to it to make it the same but different.

I've come to the conclusion that the players who whine either do so because they've got nothing better to do, feel insecure about themselves and don't want a new MMO to make it in the MMO scene because it might effect their favourite MMO (WoW), OR they're simply propaganda kids who are or aren't paid by Activision/Blizzard to spread confusion and havoc among competators community.

SWTOR beta testers are writing reviews of a beta client, saying X is rubbish and Y is not in the game, well how do you know? The forum is just filled with speculations, for all we know BioWare have given us a limited beta client and not the finished game client because they've even stated themselves that they have a few surprises for long time beta testers.

Someone mentioned immersion, lack of critters etc, do critters really need beta testing?
Does the full character creation option need to be beta tester? What if the beta client simply do not have all the options? It doesn't allow AA for example, and on the graphic note, it's also been proven to the whiners who whine about the low texture quality that the Medium setting is infact more detailed then the High setting. It's BETA for a reason, bugs will appear, and bugs will be fixed.

I really wish someone invented a monitor that allowed teleportation of body parts to fellow gaming peoples IP addresses so you could drop kick their nut sack via the monitor because the stupidity some of the MMO community comes out with is ridicules and you wish you could just shut them up as it just comes across as propaganda.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I with you (I think Meve).

The way I see it, there are 3 kinds of people at the moment (that are looking at TOR).

1) Thems what WANT INNOVATION AND NO MORE CLONES! (caps were theirs :) )

2) Thems what WANT THE EXACTLY THE SAME! OMG CHANGE! (often these are actually the same people as above...weird huh?)

3) Thems what want a new game to bring great elements from other games into an environment/story that is new (ish) with new features of their own. (These are called normal people!)

And unless I am very much mistaken, I would split those groups into 5%/5%/90%...problem being that the 90% rarely comment, because, well, why when its fine? :)

The first 2 groups are also the same people that whined that Blizzard didn't punish the LFR exploiting guilds...only to turn around and slam Blizzard for punishing the LFR exploiting guilds.

People are fun :)

MeveM

Bright Spark
Personally I have a hand full of dislikes, but they can either be patched in later, and probably will be, or be ignored. I've had 2 weekends of beta testing and my God I've not had so much fun in ages.

Know how you know the story in SWTOR is good? Well I noticed it after I kept wanting to press escape and save the game before a boss fight or a major voice event.
That's how immersive it is, it feels as if it's a single player quality story. That's such a massive change from questing in other MMO's.

So now you might think, well is it going to be fun after you've finished the story? Well I did some instances, PvP'd and some grouping outside dungeons in group areas, well all I can say is, it's darn fun. PvP at Huttball is seriously entertaining, Yeah, stuff that battleground up your innovating arse (see my earlier post), haven't seen a MMO with a BG like Huttball.

There was apparently a system in a earlier beta client which allowed you to change the colour scheme of your whole armour to what your chest piece had. So you'd arrange it after what chest you had, well people now moan that it's not in, they clearly never throught that maybe they've tested it enough and wanted to use the server strain for other things and simply included it in the game client and not the future beta client.

Can't say how impressed I am with the companion system and the crew system, absolutely awesome. End game? Well you've not just got yourself to gear, you've got 5 companions and a ship to gear as well.

I would seriously subscribe and play SWToR if it was released today with the current beta build. That's how good I think the game is and I really can't wait for the first few weeks of launch when all the massive patches will be implanted with all the things they've worked on with the data collected by the testers. Going to be epic.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I can't tell you how many times I went to press F5 :D Quality is quality, whatever haters want to say :D

micgre

Bronze Level Poster
I with you (I think Meve).

The way I see it, there are 3 kinds of people at the moment (that are looking at TOR).

1) Thems what WANT INNOVATION AND NO MORE CLONES! (caps were theirs :) )

2) Thems what WANT THE EXACTLY THE SAME! OMG CHANGE! (often these are actually the same people as above...weird huh?)

3) Thems what want a new game to bring great elements from other games into an environment/story that is new (ish) with new features of their own. (These are called normal people!)

And unless I am very much mistaken, I would split those groups into 5%/5%/90%...problem being that the 90% rarely comment, because, well, why when its fine? :)

The first 2 groups are also the same people that whined that Blizzard didn't punish the LFR exploiting guilds...only to turn around and slam Blizzard for punishing the LFR exploiting guilds.

People are fun :)

Amen to that!!!

Iceash

Bronze Level Poster
The intelligence on the mmo forum's is seriously lacking, been following the posts and even posted a few funny posts that have gone over the heads off those looking. ( made a post about an intelligence test at the log in screen, after a few posts on the thread i realised that most of those reading lacked the intelligence to tie their shoe laces.)

I have to agree with you mevem, you cannot keep ppl happy anymore especially when it comes to a mmo, swtor has shown a great start with a good promise of things to come, but to show the community on the swtor forums at the moment, look at how the news of the earlier pre-order access was received, now going to be from the 13th instead of the 15th and the amount of ppl complaining about this is hitting stupid numbers.