Starfield

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Ditto. It doesn't exist for me until my new PC is built and I can actually run it at any more than 1fps without any ray tracing.
Not a spoiler (I don't think), but at launch at least, RT is not a thing that Starfield has. So seemingly fairly forgiving on the hardware front.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not a spoiler (I don't think), but at launch at least, RT is not a thing that Starfield has. So seemingly fairly forgiving on the hardware front.
But it has FSR though, it's got an AMD only period with regards to frame generation. I think FSR 3 is being released at the same time this goes live, it's basically going to the poster game to highlight the potential of FSR 3 from what I've read, although they still haven't announced an actual release date, but they've said early fall which would align with early september (assuming no delays)

So we may even see over 30fps at 4k if that does turn out to be true, although their claims of 30fps native up to 120fps with FSR do seem a little optimistic!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, there must be something 'janky' going on as I've played for about 6 hours and have tried all the presets with both FSR on and FSR off...and there's no significant performance difference (+/-2FPS).

The only difference I've seen is in the VRAM usage (c.4GB low to 6.5GB Ultra) - and the GPU is not hitting more than 60ºc or 80% usage...and the CPU is not getting any hotter than the GPU and is only using 60%.

Still averaging mid-80s FPS in open-world (spent about 3 hours searching/surveying a planet, couple of pirate battles), and mid-70s in New Atlantis.

Feels very Outer Worlds meets Mass Effect.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm about 7 and a half hours in and just went with what was recommended as the default settings for me (4k Ultra with FSR 2) and I've only been on one of the bigger planets, but it's felt pretty stable for me. I'm not one for monitoring framerates, VRAM usage or whatever so can't comment from that angle, but yeah feels pretty good.

Although a lot of comparisons were made to No Man's Sky, Outer Worlds is probably a better comparison, as it's very much an RPG in space. I can certainly see it eating up many dozens of hours over the next couple of months.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I'm about 7 and a half hours in and just went with what was recommended as the default settings for me (4k Ultra with FSR 2) and I've only been on one of the bigger planets, but it's felt pretty stable for me. I'm not one for monitoring framerates, VRAM usage or whatever so can't comment from that angle, but yeah feels pretty good.

Although a lot of comparisons were made to No Man's Sky, Outer Worlds is probably a better comparison, as it's very much an RPG in space. I can certainly see it eating up many dozens of hours over the next couple of months.

so whats your first impressions of the game, is it worth the hype, i know some reviews were mixed

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It’s very much like what I was expecting, so can’t complain there…and I‘d stayed away from as many of the spoilers as I could.

I will only get to understand how expansive it is, and whether it becomes more Fallout-in-space (which is what I thought Outer Worlds was going to be) or more open-world version of Mass Effect as I continue through the game.

Not tried any construction yet, but have crafted a few items…mainly to test it out and get rid of some resources I’d mined.

The only slight downside is the very poor black levels in darker areas which looks terrible on my OLED screen. Thete seems to a black level ‘floor’ that it won’t go below…and there are no game settings to change brightness, contrast, gamma, HDR, so you’re stuck with the muddy grey blacks until Bethesda decide to release a patch.

I’ve also got to fit in Baldur’s Gate 3 😖

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Trying to avoid spoilers for those in the thread that want to go into the game with a fresh unspoilered view is going to be difficult, so I'm going to have my first attempt at using the spoiler tool on here - hope it works!

The main criticism with the game across reviews appears to be that the game is very linear for the first few hours, and it took me about 6 hours to get beyond that point. The game throws a LOT of side quests at you, and I've been endlessly distracted by doing those ahead of the main story. In order to build up your skills, you need to level up to gain skill points, and then complete challenges to use those points. For example, one of the first challenges I did was to kill a certain number of enemies with laser weapons to improve my damage with laser weapons. I've also been looking to build up my O2 capacity so I can sprint further, longer, etc and so I've worked on challenges related to that. That's taking up a fair bit of time, but I feel it will help me out being a higher level as I move more into the story stuff, and as a long time RPG player, I'm used to grindy as hell games. This isn't particularly grindy really, I'm just a bit OCD about choosing to grind more than is probably necessary.

Like with TonyCarter, the game is exactly what I was expecting it to be. It's effectively Fallout 4 in space - I do tend to prefer my RPGs to be a little deeper than F4, but there is so much here to enjoy that I will be playing it extensively for a while, and will probably dip in and out of it for quite some time yet.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Trying to avoid spoilers for those in the thread that want to go into the game with a fresh unspoilered view is going to be difficult, so I'm going to have my first attempt at using the spoiler tool on here - hope it works!

The main criticism with the game across reviews appears to be that the game is very linear for the first few hours, and it took me about 6 hours to get beyond that point. The game throws a LOT of side quests at you, and I've been endlessly distracted by doing those ahead of the main story. In order to build up your skills, you need to level up to gain skill points, and then complete challenges to use those points. For example, one of the first challenges I did was to kill a certain number of enemies with laser weapons to improve my damage with laser weapons. I've also been looking to build up my O2 capacity so I can sprint further, longer, etc and so I've worked on challenges related to that. That's taking up a fair bit of time, but I feel it will help me out being a higher level as I move more into the story stuff, and as a long time RPG player, I'm used to grindy as hell games. This isn't particularly grindy really, I'm just a bit OCD about choosing to grind more than is probably necessary.

Like with TonyCarter, the game is exactly what I was expecting it to be. It's effectively Fallout 4 in space - I do tend to prefer my RPGs to be a little deeper than F4, but there is so much here to enjoy that I will be playing it extensively for a while, and will probably dip in and out of it for quite some time yet.

are there many bugs?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
are there many bugs?
I've not come across anything major. It really is the least buggy Bethesda game in years, if ever!

Every so often, I'll kill an enemy on a planet with similar gravity to Earth and they'll shoot up 20 or 30 foot into the air, as if I'd Fus Ro Dah'd them in Skyrim. Hilarious to watch, but not entirely realistic.

Then I'll kill an enemy on a planet/moon with much lower gravity and they...are...GONE in much the same way! :ROFLMAO:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I've not come across anything major. It really is the least buggy Bethesda game in years, if ever!

Every so often, I'll kill an enemy on a planet with similar gravity to Earth and they'll shoot up 20 or 30 foot into the air, as if I'd Fus Ro Dah'd them in Skyrim. Hilarious to watch, but not entirely realistic.

Then I'll kill an enemy on a planet/moon with much lower gravity and they...are...GONE in much the same way! :ROFLMAO:

talking about enemys flying through the air, if you want a serious laugh then watch from 5.36 to 6.00 hitman not starfield but so funny

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Will have to retest mine with the same settings to see if I can replicate their quality to FPS scaling...because I'm getting the same FPS at ultra, but no more FPS at lower qualities...maybe I just need a new driver, or a full restart inbetween each test...or maybe I won't bother and will just play the game :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm hearing that Intel genuinely didn't seem to realise this game was coming out so only realised a driver update was required yesterday after their forums went crazy because the game literally wouldn't play on any card. And Intel have quite a userbase in the lower end of the market at 1080p!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is it controller friendly? Thinking about picking it up but I need properly controller friendly. Cyberpunk has been no good for me in combat. It requires far too much accuracy for my liking (just for reference).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is it controller friendly? Thinking about picking it up but I need properly controller friendly. Cyberpunk has been no good for me in combat. It requires far too much accuracy for my liking (just for reference).
2no9pf.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I would happily game on keyboard and mouse but I don't have any gaming setup available :ROFLMAO:

Additionally, I've never gamed on keyboard and mouse so I would actually suck more at it than I would on a controller, and I'm definitely useless with a controller :LOL:

I'm not enough of a gamer to actually spend the time to get good with any input option :D

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Yes it is. I've only used my mouse for the shipbuilding bit of the game as that's a bit fiddly with a controller, but otherwise me and my Xbox One controller have been fine!

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Apparently Steam are offering refunds for Starfield up until 20 hours during the early access period. Have just hit 22 hours, so I won't be doing it!

I've had two minor quests glitch. One was a random encounter which I've completed, it's showing on my list as completed, but it's still in the active list, instead of moving to the completed list. I also have a planetary survey where the game is telling me that I've scanned 3 out of 4 animal types on the planet, but it's also telling me I've completed the survey. I suspect they'll remain uncompleted throughout this playthrough.