The Daily Grind

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Here's how to make Greek coffee. Notice that he puts as much coffee in for one little cup as I would use for our 1ltr cafetière. The Cretans use a cup about half that size but with the same amount of coffee. When you drink it the top of your head explodes and your brainless body runs round in circles for hours. I tried it once and woke up three days later.....!

D

Deleted member 41971

Here's how to make Greek coffee. Notice that he puts as much coffee in for one little cup as I would use for our 1ltr cafetière. The Cretans use a cup about half that size but with the same amount of coffee. When you drink it the top of your head explodes and your brainless body runs round in circles for hours. I tried it once and woke up three days later.....!

on the plus side you saw through time so swings and roundabouts :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well I've just made my first cup of coffee using the aeropress, and you would think it was a completely different coffee i was using, a lot smoother tasting, thanks for the heads up on these @moosEh ☕☕(y)

steaky360

If you’re in to coffee at all, I really would recommend investing in a really good machine that fits your needs, they can be expensive initially, but the amount it saves me on needing to buy coffee shop coffee and the daily joy it brings every morning far outweighs the cost!

View attachment 26671
I've only just seen this thread - had myself a Barista express for about 6 years now and its been totally abused every day and is still going strong. Fantastic bit of kit.

Would highly recommend if you're drinking the same coffee regularly spending some time 'dialling in' the machine so you get the best possible cup you can out of it.

I've also been a subscriber to hasbean's weekly coffee delivery service "in my mug" for the last 5 years - absolutely phenomenal stuff and can only highly recommend them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've only just seen this thread - had myself a Barista express for about 6 years now and its been totally abused every day and is still going strong. Fantastic bit of kit.

Would highly recommend if you're drinking the same coffee regularly spending some time 'dialling in' the machine so you get the best possible cup you can out of it.

I've also been a subscriber to hasbean's weekly coffee delivery service "in my mug" for the last 5 years - absolutely phenomenal stuff and can only highly recommend them.
Hasbean really are something special, not just the quality of the coffee but their service is just truly exceptional. I really like their sustainability ethics and their support of the growers also.

steaky360

Hasbean really are something special, not just the quality of the coffee but their service is just truly exceptional. I really like their sustainability ethics and their support of the growers also.
Most companies could learn something from them imo - Chris Glover is a pretty cool dude too, quite enjoy the 'in my mug' cupping / tasting videos :)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm eyeing up an Aeropress to buy now around Prime Day, just wondering which model people would recommend? Seems to be a number of them

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
D

Deleted member 41971

@SpyderTracks

found a new sign for your mornings :LOL:

222204812_4003873923058798_3669883760912062759_n - Copy.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a further note on my Sage coffee machine.

I bought it in January.

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from Amazon where I bought it saying that Sage were offering online Masterclasses to those who recently bought a machine to take you through how to get the best out of it, from Grind settings, through to extraction, through to milk frothing. And this was all free.

So I went ahead and joined it last week, it was a zoom meeting with a Sage Barista who was based in Holland, and he took us through ways to alter the flavour of the extraction to either being more fruity (by under extraction) or more bitter (by over extraction), obviously within the natural scope of what that particular bean has to offer.

It's quite literally transformed my daily brew. For a start, I'm using a lot less grounds per cup to achieve the same flavour, and now I know how to manipulate the brew if I want a slightly different balance for that one cup.

The Milk aspect of it really does take some practice to get right. Currently I can get the consistency right, but at the cost of proper temperature, I still need to practice more.

But at the end he made us aware that we can join these masterclasses every 2 weeks if we like for free as part of our ownership of the product. Furthermore, they have a webchat on the main website which has Sage Barista's online any time day or night where you can post questions for anything you want help with.

And additionally, whereas a lot of products are a nightmare when it comes to any repairs, and they force you to send it back to the manufacturer and if it's out of warranty, charge you a small fortune.... Sage have EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT of the machine available to buy as individual items on their website, from the water reservoir, to the grinder burr, down to even individual nuts or gaskets and all for very reasonable costs.

So yes, the initial outlay is quite enormous just for a couple of cups of coffee every day (this model being around the same cost as a high end Nespresso machine).... BUT, this machine will likely never die unlike my previous Nespresso machines which tended to fail quite often and were prohibitively expensive to repair outside of warranty making more sense to just buy a new one, plus the quality and variety of flavours that I can concoct are just on another scale.

Now I'm not badmouthing Nespresso at all, I had their machines and bought capsules directly from Nespresso for 7 years, I loved their coffee and it was only when they changed the recipe on my favourite capsule (Arpeggio - Purple) that I considered looking for alternatives. I do think the Pixie machines are the most reliable of the lot and likely the Sage models they do (judging by Sages company ethics). But I found their newer Bluetooth enabled and more plastic based machines to be very unreliable.

But this Sage is just that next level up in both daily satisfaction and ongoing support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

Just a further note on my Sage coffee machine.

I bought it in January.

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from Amazon where I bought it saying that Sage were offering online Masterclasses to those who recently bought a machine to take you through how to get the best out of it, from Grind settings, through to extraction, through to milk frothing. And this was all free.

So I went ahead and joined it last week, it was a zoom meeting with a Sage Barista who was based in Holland, and he took us through ways to alter the flavour of the extraction to either being more fruity (by under extraction) or more bitter (by over extraction), obviously within the natural scope of what that particular bean has to offer.

It's quite literally transformed my daily brew. For a start, I'm using a lot less grounds per cup to achieve the same flavour, and now I know how to manipulate the brew if I want a slightly different balance for that one cup.

The Milk aspect of it really does take some practice to get right. Currently I can get the consistency right, but at the cost of proper temperature, I still need to practice more.

But at the end he made us aware that we can join these masterclasses every 2 weeks if we like for free as part of our ownership of the product. Furthermore, they have a webchat on the main website which has Sage Barista's online any time day or night where you can post questions for anything you want help with.

And additionally, whereas a lot of products are a nightmare when it comes to any repairs, and they force you to send it back to the manufacturer and if it's out of warranty, charge you a small fortune.... Sage have EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT of the machine available to buy as individual items on their website, from the water reservoir, to the grinder burr, down to even individual nuts or gaskets and all for very reasonable costs.

So yes, the initial outlay is quite enormous just for a couple of cups of coffee every day (this model being around the same cost as a high end Nespresso machine).... BUT, this machine will likely never die unlike my previous Nespresso machines which tended to fail quite often and were prohibitively expensive to repair outside of warranty making more sense to just buy a new one, plus the quality and variety of flavours that I can concoct are just on another scale.

Now I'm not badmouthing Nespresso at all, I had their machines and bought capsules directly from Nespresso for 7 years, I loved their coffee and it was only when they changed the recipe on my favourite capsule (Arpeggio - Purple) that I considered looking for alternatives. I do think the Pixie machines are the most reliable of the lot and likely the Sage models they do (judging by Sages company ethics). But I found their newer Bluetooth enabled and more plastic based machines to be very unreliable.

But this Sage is just that next level up in both daily satisfaction and ongoing support.

looked the machine up on amazon, if I am looking at the right one then the price is not too bad considering what you get and the potential and longevity of it, sounds like a good product, (y)