Total Biscuit... his thoughts on battlefield 3 beta.. caspian border

Gishank

Bright Spark
Origin is a good low-profile platform, the only problem with it is the DRM check on startup which isn't well optimized.

As for BF3, I played in the alpha and noticed it had quite alot of issues HOWEVER it appears that they've all been addressed in the beta and it is an excellent game. I think I'll be pre-ordering it later today.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Right. Ok, let me get this right. Me saying that I've got a error, and saying what the error is, is not a contructive critisism. And due to that problem, I'm unable to get into the game, to give further advice regarding the game.

Got no problem with people stating a problem, I have a problem with people complaining which is exactly what you were doing. Starting a post off saying Sigh... for starters is nothing but the start of a complaint.

Dayve

Right. Ok, let me get this right. Me saying that I've got a error, and saying what the error is, is not a contructive critisism. And due to that problem, I'm unable to get into the game, to give further advice regarding the game.

Don't worry about Frenchy, he persistently pops up in my threads for no other reason than to start an argument. Just put him on block or something.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
i think frenchy is right though ive been playing the beta since 2pm tuesday and have had no real issues to make the game unplayable admittedly i do get kicked off alot of games but thats due to my internet connection and not ea or dice. to have as many problems as you guys it makes me think more about what you have done wrong and not the ea/dice guys, can your rig handle the game and how have you managed to mess up your installs or what programs do you have conflicting with the game dont just start moaning do yourselves a favor, look on the EA forums and find a answer.

Dayve

So you get in to the BETA, can't start the game, and then people get ****ed off when you complain? Poppycock. Sure a BETA is expected to have bugs, that's the point, to find and report them. To do that you need first to get in to the damn thing.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Don't worry about Frenchy, he persistently pops up in my threads for no other reason than to start an argument. Just put him on block or something.

Completely untrue, I make valid points when I feel they are appropriate, I dont post to have an argument. The fact this guy is blatantly complaining about a beta is ridiculous, its a beta not a full game. It was obvious to me and im sure everyone else on the forum that he wasn't giving "constructive criticism". I have dont have a massive problem with open betas but I think they give away the wrong message because a lot of people seem to assume it should play perfectly or atleast with no major bugs, since they see it more as a demo than a beta. If any of these people have ever done any software development they would realise how hard that is to achieve.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
So you get in to the BETA, can't start the game, and then people get ****ed off when you complain? Poppycock. Sure a BETA is expected to have bugs, that's the point, to find and report them. To do that you need first to get in to the damn thing.

No a beta is to find bugs in the entire software not just in gameplay, if you have a bug getting into the game that is also just as valid a bug as not being able to reload or keybindings being lost. For sure its more frustrating because you want to be playing the game, but as a beta tester you have to realise that the software you are testing is everything from the point when you install the software to when you uninstall the software, not just what you get once a map has loaded.

MeveM

Bright Spark
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7565158.page

Well they're not doing a very good job sorting it. Plenty of people with the problem, been a full day now and the "fix" they posted there, doesn't work. And the DICE people who posted it, had to have a normal user simplify it so normal people actually understand how to follow their instructions. However, even with more detailed instructions, it doesn't fix the issue.

And Frenchy, whether you like it or not, Beta's are not for testing, Closed beta is for testing, open beta also introduces a marketing scheme.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7565158.page

Well they're not doing a very good job sorting it. Plenty of people with the problem, been a full day now and the "fix" they posted there, doesn't work. And the DICE people who posted it, had to have a normal user simplify it so normal people actually understand how to follow their instructions. However, even with more detailed instructions, it doesn't fix the issue.

And Frenchy, whether you like it or not, Beta's are not for testing, Closed beta is for testing, open beta also introduces a marketing scheme.

Fixing problems takes time, you cant expect them to have all your bugs fixed isntantly, if the problems are present in the full game at release then feel free to have a go at them, but for now let them fix it in their own time. They have no obligation to fix it immediatley since the product is not a final product.

Whether I like it or not? Not sure where you get the idea that it isn't for testing. Marketing can easily be achieved with a good demo, this is a beta not a demo. As a software developer and games developer I know how hard it is to make software that caters for all possibilities of hardware and software on peoples computers. We can try our hardest to do so but the best test is always the release of software, thats where the majority of bugs are caught. This is a beta test and should be treated as one, if you want to kid yourself that it isn't then thats your problem but just leave them to do their jobs.

EDIT: Also from that post you sent me, id say that shows just how much they are trying to fix issues, they seem to have an active role within the thread giving solutions out. Now you suggested that they had to explain it more simply, while I agree in some cases that this is necessary, people beta testing software generally tend to be the more savvy people.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
personally i think a beta is testing and demoing, it is never a finished version of the game and is used to find bugs, but if people join a beta and enjoy it then theyll get it, i snap up most betas as a demo tbh and probably wouldnt buy a lot of games if it werent for betas, closed or open

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
also does anyone have a link where i can submit bugs, i have 100s including people under the map, like cod 5 style or medal of honor heroes :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
personally i think a beta is testing and demoing, it is never a finished version of the game and is used to find bugs, but if people join a beta and enjoy it then theyll get it, i snap up most betas as a demo tbh and probably wouldnt buy a lot of games if it werent for betas, closed or open

But thats part of the problem, people shouldnt ever judge a game by the beta or alpha, closed or open, its just not a true reprsentation of the final game.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i judge games by it, its more accurate than an advert, although i also understand that bugs are squished and tweaks are made before a release and i choose whether or not to buy it through that

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
i judge games by it, its more accurate than an advert, although i also understand that bugs are squished and tweaks are made before a release and i choose whether or not to buy it through that

A game can end up completely diffetrent to its beta. Granted its likley that most stuff will stay the same, but the main thing is people sayign theyre now cancelling their preorders because weapons arent powerful enough and stuff like that. That is a rubbish excuse to cancel an order since theyve said quite clearly on their website that the beta will help address balance issues with weapons as well as other issues in the game.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ive actually bought a lot of gmaes just because of a beta and actually turned out to be disappointing, MoH being the main one as well as Blur (split second was much better)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
as usual battlefield servers are playing up, will they ever sort out this problem?

Quit with the complaining, youve given them exactly how long since open release of beta? um a day, they have a month to fix problems like this, yes it might be frustrating, just stop treating it like its meant to eb a demo and accept the fact that its not.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
no im just saying that this happened every other day for me in BFBC and BFBC2 and BF1943 it makes it so hard to play

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
no im just saying that this happened every other day for me in BFBC and BFBC2 and BF1943 it makes it so hard to play

Then I think more than anything you have a problem with your connection, I haven't experienced connection issues and I certainly don't have the best internet around, far from it. Have you checked your nat settings? Make sure they're set to open

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I say,If you're not happy about something keep complaining,
no matter the issue,If people dont complain nothing will get done.