Vyper 17 Slow on Battery

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
that's great, hope they will sort it out soon!

But as raygun and redcloud said i think should be nice if pcs can read here and offer more bios option like other vendors, such as ram tuning or increasing undervolt via bios (at least -70mv should be nice compared to actual -50mv). In the end we buy those machines as pro users, almost most of us here know what we are doing doing (for example i buyed it for mux and unlocked xtu interface compared to other machines). So, should be nice maybe to insert via a key combination on the bios an andvanced setting mode such as msi does in the new gs and ge series. If someone is a noob for sure they not find this section... but give who have the knowledge of such thing the possibility to tune our machine to it's best.
PCS staff rarely visit here. I suggest you submit your suggestions/ideas to PCS directly, perhaps in an email. This has been raised before though. :)

vicgui

So I just read a full review of a competitors chassis (same Tongfang GM7MPHP) in a well-known website, and they got 11hours 24mins battery runtime at idle! (min brightness and no Wlan) and almost 7hours while websurfing; and it seems to work well without power drops!

Its sold here in Germany for a similar price, and it has the RTX2070 Super and i7-10750H; so It doesn't make sense that PCS can't provide a decent BIOS which could give us similar values without weird power drops...what do you think?

Captura.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So I just read a full review of the Medion Erazer Beast X10 (same Tongfang GM7MPHP) in a well-known website, and they got 11hours 24mins battery runtime at idle! (min brightness and no Wlan) and almost 7hours while websurfing; and it seems to work well without power drops!

Its sold here in Germany for a similar price, and it has the RTX2070 Super and i7-10750H; so It doesn't make sense that PCS can't provide a decent BIOS which could give us similar values without weird power drops...what do you think?

View attachment 19962
I'll give you the same advice, contact PCS directly with your suggestion/request. They are unlikely to ever see it here. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So I just read a full review of the Medion Erazer Beast X10 (same Tongfang GM7MPHP) in a well-known website, and they got 11hours 24mins battery runtime at idle! (min brightness and no Wlan) and almost 7hours while websurfing; and it seems to work well without power drops!

View attachment 19962
As said, PCS are working on a BIOS update, that's been stated numerous times on this thread.

Just have to be patient and wait for a fix.

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
It takes too long... i bought this laptop August and now is almost January... £1,7k-£1,8k for a defective laptop? No thanks...
yes same here, I totally agree with you. This is what we get from wanting to safe some bucks... I'll never buy from PCS ever again for sure.

Last edited:

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
I asked for a refund or a least for a compensation, they didn't give me either. The only thing they do is being sorry and putting the blame on tong fang. I'll wait another month or so and if it is still not fixed by then I'll just be getting a lawyer to get this trash of laptop refunded.

PCS_Chris

Staff member
Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry it's been a while, we've been exploring every avenue we could to try and address the continued issues that some people have been experiencing. I am sorry to say that we are unable to modify the EC any further than what was done in my previous post due to quite severe safety concerns should we try it.

Attempting to push more power through the CPU whilst on battery power alone runs a very high risk of burning out the batteries due to the high currents that would be required. This at best would lead to faster degradation of the battery cells and at worst cause a fire. Of course we absolutely do not want to put anyone in any sort of danger so we have made the decision to alter the EC no further.

We found that lighter loads on the system such as general office work / web browsing no longer experiences any issues with the current EC and that only far more demanding loads would cause performance issues. We recommend only doing more demanding loads on this laptop when plugged into AC power as the AC adaptor is more than capable of providing all the power the system needs to function at full performance.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you any better news. We have exhausted every avenue we could pursue for getting more power out of the laptops on battery but we have been unsuccessful. If this makes the laptop unusable for your particular needs I recommend getting in contact with our customer care team to arrange a return / alternative system which better suits your needs.

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi,

Can anyone help and tell me what i'm doing wrong with "EC firmware update"?

I was trying to follow Chris guidance, but it didn't worked.

Images attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• Pic (2)-min.jpg
    Pic (2)-min.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Pic (1)-min-min-compressed.jpg
    Pic (1)-min-min-compressed.jpg
    946.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Pic (3)-min-min-compressed.jpg
    Pic (3)-min-min-compressed.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 209

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
We found that lighter loads on the system such as general office work / web browsing no longer experiences any issues with the current EC and that only far more demanding loads would cause performance issues.
This is definitely not the case. Please stop trying to trivialize the issue. It freezes all the time, regardless of the load. Sometimes even at idle when moving the mouse around.

That the issue can't be fixed at all is hard to believe when the exact same chassis from another US reseller (not allowed to name it here) works perfectly fine.

If this makes the laptop unusable for your particular needs I recommend getting in contact with our customer care team to arrange a return / alternative system which better suits your needs.
Does using the laptop on battery count as a particular need ? Of course this makes the laptop unusable, in my opinion you should refund everybody with an apologie and stop selling this chassis straight away.

Craziest buying experience of all times. The amount of precious time PCS has made me lose is out of this world ! (Over 180 Emails and a few calls)

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry it's been a while, we've been exploring every avenue we could to try and address the continued issues that some people have been experiencing. I am sorry to say that we are unable to modify the EC any further than what was done in my previous post due to quite severe safety concerns should we try it.

Attempting to push more power through the CPU whilst on battery power alone runs a very high risk of burning out the batteries due to the high currents that would be required. This at best would lead to faster degradation of the battery cells and at worst cause a fire. Of course we absolutely do not want to put anyone in any sort of danger so we have made the decision to alter the EC no further.

We found that lighter loads on the system such as general office work / web browsing no longer experiences any issues with the current EC and that only far more demanding loads would cause performance issues. We recommend only doing more demanding loads on this laptop when plugged into AC power as the AC adaptor is more than capable of providing all the power the system needs to function at full performance.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you any better news. We have exhausted every avenue we could pursue for getting more power out of the laptops on battery but we have been unsuccessful. If this makes the laptop unusable for your particular needs I recommend getting in contact with our customer care team to arrange a return / alternative system which better suits your needs.

Kind regards,

Chris
Thanks for your response @PCS_Chris I appreciate it so close to Christmas.

Unfortunately the situation you have described is not what myself or other users on this forum are experiencing. Even with the new EC update my laptop's performance is unacceptably degraded when just sitting at idle let alone trying to do basic tasks such as browse the web or use office apps.

All the EC update has done is delayed the fault presenting, the minute the battery level drops to around 30% the OS constantly locks up and freezes whilst trying to do menial tasks like just browsing the OS folder structure.

I absolutely love this laptop but it is not fit for purpose or of sufficient quality so I am going to be contacting customer care this evening and asking for a refund.

*edit* for spelling.

Last edited:

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
I absolutely love this laptop but it is not fit for purpose or of sufficient quality so I am going to be contacting customer care this evening and asking for a refund.
Yes :( I really wanted to keep this laptop as well. But same here, I will get this refunded. Without the ability to use it on battery it is just a very expansive, loud, hot and weak desktop PC.

GeorgeCA

Bronze Level Poster
Yeh it really is a shame. My refund request has gone in so we will see what happens.

Hi mate, can you please give us an update on your refund request ? I want to return the laptop as well because i am aiming for an actual laptop not a desktop PC.. Is very sad because i like the laptop but it does not worth 1800£ given the issues we all experienced.

barlew

Godlike
Hi mate, can you please give us an update on your refund request ? I want to return the laptop as well because i am aiming for an actual laptop not a desktop PC.. Is very sad because i like the laptop but it does not worth 1800£ given the issues we all experienced.
I will do when I have one mate but I'm not expecting to hear back for a while as it is Christmas.