Want a rig for extreem gaming.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks , i may get one in the future when the price comes down , its just that these days you can get 2TB for £100 or so & for me the difference in speed between the two is just to small to justify the cost , i think i would like to replace my current HDDs with some caviar blacks , my freind judt got one & they are great - i dont know though i do pretty well with the ones i have got , plenty fast enough for me really .

But thank you for the compliment & the suggestion :eek:

I'll be honest and say, im of the same opinion as you. When it comes to having more space but a "slower" pc. i would go for the space, especially at current prices (even though prices for SSDs are dropping).

I dont doubt however, that once i do get an SSD eventually, i'll probably wonder why i didnt get one sooner. Its just that money is tight for me right now and i couldnt ignore the storage space you get from HDD. But to each his own :)

EDIT - @ Grimezy Wow thats an amazing performance difference you got there. I can see why you like your SSD. Food for thought for myself, if my pc ever starts getting "slow" and clogged up, an SSD upgrade may be the solution.

Last edited:

baron75mk2

Banned
It was an extreme example yes but you've given advice based on something you've never tried and are only going by what you've read on the internet (I actually thought most articles strongly suggested SSD's nowadays). Why don't you go out and buy an SSD before telling people that they're useless?

I can only speak from personal experience but a month ago by PC was taking anywhere between 5-10 minutes to actually get going using my Caviar Black. And even once it was warmed up it wasn't as snappy as I'd have liked. I bought an SSD as it seemed like the logical thing to do and I fell in love with my PC again. All of a sudden I'm booted up and ready to go after 15-20 seconds, browsing through folders or settings is instant, chrome is speedy and responsive. There is a HUGE change compared to my caviar black.

And at the end of the day, the OP is looking to play things like MMO's, do you really think he's going to see a whole lot of potential from SLI 770's/780's? No, probably not as most MMO's aren't even GPU intensive. But you know what they do have? Lots of loading screens walking into cities or new areas... and you know what helps with loading screens...?

I did not say or imply you were usless ( i believe you were doing that with the dial up thing) , so lets clear that up now for a start.

& i put the point to you that if it was taking 5 to 10 minutes to boot up windows & get it to a state where it was usable the issue could have been somrething else , theres no standard HDD these days thats that slow to boot windows (or that slow in general) , especially a caviar black,

Something was hammering the hdd to do that or the HDD was on its way out to be that slow , or possibly there was something else going on to cause that.

& the internet is no different than anywhere else to read & learn from , you just have to discern what is nonsence & what is truth & i think i do a pretty goos job of that.

Google is a very powerful tool if you know how to use it , i didnt have anyone to teach me , it was all from the internet , self teaching can be better than anything .

you dont have to own something to know what it can do , i dont own a ferrari but i know its fast & well built , because i read it somewhere :eek:

& if you READ the bottom of the post carefully the OP wants to play FPS games as well as the other stuff & He wants 3d gaming in the future , this is why the suggestion for the GTX 780-SLI , he will defiately see a big advantage in first person shooters & admittedly im not a 3d gamer myself from what i have read two cards would definately benifit 3d & Uber resolutions for 1st person shooters .

& lets be honest here the poster said he wanted an Extreeme build , is a build extreeme with only one card ? - i dont think so

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I didn't say you said I was useless, I said don't say that SSD's are useless without trying one.

I won't take this any further as the OP isn't even asking about whether to choose an SSD or not although I think the majority of people who have used an SSD would agree that for his budget it would be a better investment than SLI 780's. It would make more sense to have an SSD from the start and add a second GPU later rather than the opposite way round meaning he'd have to do a clean install, etc.

The fact he put fps's and 3D at the bottom of the list implies to me that he probably won't be doing much of that at all. And the last I heard a 780 is absolutely fine for FPS's and 3D gaming.

baron75mk2

Banned
Please leave it at that guys,and just agree to differ.
These are friendly forums,try to keep it that way.

Yes lets just agree to diasgree , no hard feelings at all , maybe we just both got caught up in our own opinions & testosterone - lol

I know i can be guilty of that for certain :eek:

bigben

Master Poster
I love SSDs and since I got one I wouldn't go back to not having one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW0H_Hs2m_k They are faster, quieter, no moving parts so doesn't really matter if you drop it. I got a 240gb Hyper X the other night for about £130 which I think isn't too bad.
It's the same as the rubber dome / mechanical keyboard & 60hz vs 120hz gaming and even SD/HD TV (I couldn't see the point in blu ray until I got my PS3 and actually watched a couple). If you have never tried the latter then you don't miss it whereas you almost certainly do if you have.

If playing at 60hz I would hang off on the SLI until the single GTX780 starts struggling (before I got my 2nd gtx670 I was still getting at least 60fps on most games so I would imagine a 780 should last a while too), 780 should get a bit cheaper when there are more new graphics card being released.

baron75mk2

Banned
I love SSDs and since I got one I wouldn't go back to not having one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW0H_Hs2m_k They are faster, quieter, no moving parts so doesn't really matter if you drop it. I got a 240gb Hyper X the other night for about £130 which I think isn't too bad.
It's the same as the rubber dome / mechanical keyboard & 60hz vs 120hz gaming and even SD/HD TV (I couldn't see the point in blu ray until I got my PS3 and actually watched a couple). If you have never tried the latter then you don't miss it whereas you almost certainly do if you have.

If playing at 60hz I would hang off on the SLI until the single GTX780 starts struggling (before I got my 2nd gtx670 I was still getting at least 60fps on most games so I would imagine a 780 should last a while too), 780 should get a bit cheaper when there are more new graphics card being released.

Fair point , one GTX-780 will max most stuff out there with 60fps , even battlefield 4 if you turn off antialiasing options , might be worth wauting for a price drop of the 780 before setting up SLI

But if its an extreme setup your after , then two cards is a must , in my opinion for it to be truly an extreme build
(but then that is admittedly just spending cash for the sake of it)

But it is a nice feeling to look in your case & see two gleaming GTX-780s in there - lol

Tried blu-ray , its great when you remove all the drm from it messing with the picture , but in its original form , not so keen .