Well I ordered on Friday and now it's time to play waiting game :)

Rakk

The Awesome
I read somewhere that delivery pickup is 3pm, so it's probably not heading out today.

True there is a cutoff point for DPD collecting it but given SlickShoes said 'Mine has now shipped!' and has a tracking number for it, I'm assuming it was collected by DPD today :)

SlickShoes

It has been sent today but I am working tomorrow and there's no way I can pull a sicky with the amount of work I have to do, I rearranged the delivery to Friday and I will be taking a day off for it!

Rearranging the delivery was really simple which was a nice relief.

Target Practice

Oh god, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread - I only ordered mine a couple of hours ago, and already I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof!

The worst part of it all is that once I finish work on Monday morning, I'm off for 12 full days, so I'll be stalking the house like crazy the whole time and refreshing the page every ten minutes. :p Who wants to take the bet that it arrives the last day before I go back to work? :D

BobbySixKiller

Bronze Level Poster
Oh god, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread - I only ordered mine a couple of hours ago, and already I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof!

The worst part of it all is that once I finish work on Monday morning, I'm off for 12 full days, so I'll be stalking the house like crazy the whole time and refreshing the page every ten minutes. :p Who wants to take the bet that it arrives the last day before I go back to work? :D

You could change it to a fast track and give PCS a ring to confirm

Target Practice

Funny you should say that, I've just done exactly that (obviously without the ringing to confirm - not much point at this time of night! :p)

SlickShoes

Good idea changing it since you had time off, if i wasnt working the last 2 weeks i'd have went mad, great that you can keep up to date on your order but man is it stressful!

Target Practice

Of course, now I have the blind panic of trying to get the rest of my stuff before the PC arrives - I need a new desk, as my old one won't be big enough to house the Storm Trooper case, and I also need to find some room in the house to put said desk! :D

SlickShoes

Haha yeah, I used the time to get a small table for it that matches my TV unit so that will house my PC which will connect to the TV and I will recline on the sofa in full luxury for some PC gaming. I can't wait.

I found a lot of desks are overly expensive or plain suck, my wife and I bought a table that looked good as a desk and just sanded it down and painted it, it was much cheaper.

Target Practice

I found a really nice corner one on the IKEA website (Vika Amon, if you're wondering) on the recommendation of several other gamers with similar needs to my own - price was fantastic at about £45-50 for it. But they're wanting £35 for delivery, and the earliest I can expect it is the 7th, and I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with that. On one hand, it's still far cheaper than anything else around, on the other, if I'm paying them £35 for delivery, I don't expect to have to wait over a week for the damn thing!

Target Practice

Yeah, it's a pain - I presume it's because we're so ridiculously far from any of the IKEA stores dotted around. The perils of living in deepest, darkest Norfolk. I looked at driving down to the Lakeside one to pick it up, but it would probably cost me about £20 in petrol and about 3 hours' driving, and it's just not worth the grief.

I've ordered it anyway, because after spending the best part of the morning looking, I can't see anything that fulfills my needs (corner desk, not too big, room underneath to get my overly-large chair in) that's within £50 of that price even without delivery, so I guess I'm just going to have to swallow my consumer outrage and fork out. If it does the job, then that's all I care about.

Target Practice

Sadly not, but even if I did, it barely seems worth it. Taking into account a hazy estimate of £20-worth of fuel to get there and back (possibly more) and the four hours I'd have to spend doing it (1 hour 45 each way plus a half-hour in there), I'd have to value my time being worth less than £3.75 an hour to make it a more sensible option than just ordering it online and swallowing the delivery charge.

It's less than ideal, but even with the delivery charge added on, this way is still 25% cheaper than the nearest-priced alternative desk without delivery. Such is life, I guess.

In other, unrelated news, my machine is already in the 'testing' phase! Looks like they weren't kidding when they said it was a fast track build! At this rate, my machine will be here long before the monitor, peripherals or desk! :p

SlickShoes

Haha I always forget about Ikea being far from people since there is one within 2 miles of my house. I can't imagine the torture of having the machine but no peripherals to operate it!

Target Practice

Heh, well if the worst comes to the worst, I can always hook it up to my TV and use my old mouse to get it all set up (Antivirus installed, Steam downloaded, old files copied across, etc etc) - that should stop me getting the shakes for a day or two - any longer than that, and I might start climbing the walls! :D

SlickShoes

I am that sad I created a USB drive at work the other day with every program I will need already downloaded and ready to install, I think I am over prepared.

Target Practice

Nice thinking. I'll probably do something similar tonight with my external HDD. I'm looking forward to owning a PC that I won't need to run the Decrapifier on though!