Windows 7 / 10 Advice Please, Thank you

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
'Cloud computing' was envisioned as the way forward back in the 1990's I remember, though we didn't use that term. Back then we talked about 'thin clients' as the end user device. The key reason it didn't go anywhere back then was that the network speeds (and bandwidth) weren't up to it. I wouldn't have believed it would take another 20 years to begin to make it work though....
It's like IBM having voice control back in 1962 with "Shoebox", and it was incredibly capable, but like a lot of things with IBM, they dropped the ball.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I've worked with Citrix technologies for around 25 years now. I remember well the concept that everyone would work from a thin client. They were huge proponents of it and Java based thin clients were going to be all the rage...

But it was also in the days of dialup. On top of that, licensing wasn't appropriate. And the costs of the thin clients - unless you went for the very lowest end ones which even now are full of compromises that make them a very sub-optimal with the exception, I'd say, of the Wyse (now Dell) ThinOS based ones which manage to be both inexpensive and functional.

With regards to GApps - I found some very odd quirks in it (been a while since I used it to be fair) such as putting in a currency symbol didn't automatically change the cell to be currency, like Excel and OO do.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's like IBM having voice control back in 1962 with "Shoebox", and it was incredibly capable, but like a lot of things with IBM, they dropped the ball.
I was working in the IBM mainframe environment for a good many years in the 80's 90's and into the 2000's, as a senior sysprog/consultant/educator and in that latter role I needed to keep up with a variety of developments in the IBM world. Those years were a very complex period for IBM as personal computing spread through businesses. The 'death of the mainframe' was predicted as early as the late 1980's and that mantra accelerated as LAN technologies improved and 'distributed computing' became the latest thing. It was clear to anyone with any experience that the mainframe would always have a place in corporate computing - and they're still there today - and that interoperability was going to be key, but with technology changing so fast and with IBM's customers having no real idea what their IT systems should look like, and often once they'd settled on a suitable mix of broadly interoperable systems there'd be something new that they felt they 'must have', IBM would have needed a crystal ball to be able to chart their best direction for the next five years. In those days everyone was running to stand still, one of the reasons I was relieved to be able to retire at 51 was because the ground always seemed to be moving under your feet.

I never actually worked for IBM, though I did work for their main competitor (Amdahl) for several years. I think that IBM did a pretty good job of hanging on to the ball during those turbulent years. They may not have always made the best play but they're still here and their mainframes still form the core of most large corporation's IT infrastructure. That's not a bad record. :)

slimbob

Enthusiast
Great !! Thanks

O.k. I will stick to your recommended OpenOffice version not LibreOffice.

I have successfully downloaded it and am having play around it looks fantastic!!! Thank you for the great recommendation.

Please excuse my ignorance but when I downloaded it, it installed a folder called “Open Office 4 (size 315mb) in my programme folder in C: Drive but it also put a large folder called “OpenOffice 4.1.7 (en-GB) Installation Files (Size 130mb) on my desk top?

I looked around on YouTube and some people delete it?

What should I do with this folder should I drag and drop it in my programs folder so it is in the same place as the other folder already installed there or put it somewhere else? Or delete it?

Thank you very much for your help with this.

P.S - Sorry I can’t really contribute anything useful about the great discussion you all had but it was very interesting to read !! Thank you everyone.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can delete the desktop folder. The installer extracts the downloaded archive to that desktop folder and uses that to do the install. I've no idea why the installer doesn't delete it when it's done, you don't need it now. [emoji846]

slimbob

Enthusiast
Fantastic !!! Thanks a million for everything :).
My flash drive should arrive by Wednesday so I can do the windows 10 upgrade soon too!!
Very exciting!!
Hope the rest of your week goes very well.
Bob.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
Hope everything is going well.
My flash drive arrived today and I have backed up everything and printed off all my notes ready.
I have started the upgrade and right near the end I got this.

Neo .jpg

I have been through my Program folder and nothing Nero in there? I may of had this years ago?
I am stuck as I can't progress until I unistall this app.
I have tried typing Nero - Burning Rom into Start search but nothing comes up?
Any helpful ideas or tips on how to find this app and uninstall it?
Thanks so much.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone,
Hope everything is going well.
My flash drive arrived today and I have backed up everything and printed off all my notes ready.
I have started the upgrade and right near the end I got this.

View attachment 15692

I have been through my Program folder and nothing Nero in there? I may of had this years ago?
I am stuck as I can't progress until I unistall this app.
I have tried typing Nero - Burning Rom into Start search but nothing comes up?
Any helpful ideas or tips on how to find this app and uninstall it?
Thanks so much.
It won’t be in the program folder, you need to go into programs and features in control panel and uninstall it.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Thanks very much for your help.
Sorry I meant to say I have been in program and features too but nothing?
I have found a folder on my P.C with Nero programs in it but it needs to be installed so as far as I can see it is not installed but is sitting dormant on my P.C in a folder can I just delete these folders as they are not in program and features or program files? Or should I install the software again then it should appear in program and features then uninstall it?
Thanks.
Bob

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks very much for your help.
Sorry I meant to say I have been in program and features too but nothing?
I have found a folder on my P.C with Nero programs in it but it needs to be installed so as far as I can see it is not installed but is sitting dormant on my P.C in a folder can I just delete these folders as they are not in program and features or program files? Or should I install the software again then it should appear in program and features then uninstall it?
Thanks.
Bob
Have a look in the programs menu and see if it’s in there if it is it may have a manual uninstall application.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi,
Is programs menu accessed from the start button then All programs? If so I have been in here too and nothing?
Or is progam menu somewhere esle? Thanks very much

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,
Is programs menu accessed from the start button then All programs? If so I have been in here too and nothing?
Or is progam menu somewhere esle? Thanks very much
Ok, is nero running in the task bar in the bottom right of windows? Is there a nero icon?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The error you're making is to use the USB drive to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. This should work for everyone but sadly it often leads to many niggly problems.

You need to boot that USB stick, choose a custom install and delete the existing partitions. The installer will then clean install Windows 10.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi I have just typed Nero in Start search. Last time I typed nero then tried Nero - Burning Rom with no luck but now by just typing Nero I have found about 10 folders I have just located the problematic file and removed it - windows 10 upgrade is now happy and progressing !!!!!!
Fingers crossed all goes smoothly now touch wood.
Thanks so much for your help your a god send.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Sorry UBUYSA I just read your post after I posted mine all seems o.k now ... holding breath still on the first step of upgrading from windows 7 to 10 then after this it's a fresh install !!!! Can't wait!!!
Cheers.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
The error you're making is to use the USB drive to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. This should work for everyone but sadly it often leads to many niggly problems.

You need to boot that USB stick, choose a custom install and delete the existing partitions. The installer will then clean install Windows 10.

From earlier posts, OP is using the free 7 to 10 update. If they take your advice then a new Win 10 key is needed and that needs to be purchased.

Once the Win 10 upgrade has been done, then a clean install can be performed.

In terms of finding Nero, have a look in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) to see if there is a Nero folder. If there is, there may well be an uninstall file.

Worth noting that Program Files (x86) will only be there if your Windows 7 is 64-bit

EDIT: I suspect you already uninstalled it from the control panel but in earlier versions, this didn't do a clean uninstall. There's a tool https://support.nero.com/en/support...-remove-all-traces-of-previous-nero-programs-

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
From earlier posts, OP is using the free 7 to 10 update. If they take your advice then a new Win 10 key is needed and that needs to be purchased.

Once the Win 10 upgrade has been done, then a clean install can be performed.

In terms of finding it, have a look in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) to see if there is a Nero folder. If there is, there may well be an uninstall file.

Worth noting that Program Files (x86) will only be there if your Windows 7 is 64-bit
Apparently you can just use an existing Windows 7 key to activate a clean installation of Windows 10 that has never been licensed before with a windows 7 license. It will just automatically convert it to a win 10 license.

I haven't tried it myself, but according to Oussebon, it works.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Apparently you can just use an existing Windows 7 key to activate a clean installation of Windows 10 that has never been licensed before with a windows 7 license. It will just automatically convert it to a win 10 license.

I haven't tried it myself, but according to Oussebon, it works.

I can't comment on the OEM version because I never use it. I can say that doesn't work for the MAPS version (I've tried it in the past).

Be a bit of a pig to find out it doesn't work, after blowing away all the partitions.