Windows 7 / 10 Advice Please, Thank you

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
1586961822555.png

Happy to say that you can indeed type a Windows 7 key into the dialogue box during the Windows 10 installation and it accepts it and activates.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
View attachment 15694

Happy to say that you can indeed type a Windows 7 key into the dialogue box during the Windows 10 installation and it accepts it and activates.
Thanks for confirming that. There have been several websites since Jan 14th confirming that a Windows 7 key will still activate a new Windows 10 install. I'm guessing Microsoft want to get as many people off Windows 7 as they can, even though officially you have to pay for Windows 10.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your help !! :)
I have been unable to post as it took a very long time for windows 10 to download because I don't have super fast internet I sometimes get 20mb if I am very lucky and I am capped to 30 gig a month .
I now have Windows 10 thanks to you all !!!!! Absolutely over the moon !! Thank you.
I have checked in Activation and it has upgraded me to Windows 10 Home as my previous version was Windows 7 Home Premium which makes sense. I am more than happy with Home.
During the process I was not prompted to create a Microsoft account and I don't already have one.
So in Activation it just said "Windows is activated with a digital license"
So I created a Microsoft account and after it was all set up I went back into Activation and low and behold it now says:
"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stage one is done !!!:D

I have all my notes for stage 2 printed out - Clean install of windows 10 and am feeling more confident to do it now.
I know you have mentioned a different process to the upgrade then clean install procedure but unless you think it is vital I will stick to the plan as I have been reading my notes all the time and I might get a bit confused.
I will report back as I carry on with my journey to a clean install of windows 10.
I can't thank you all enough for helping me I am so happy.
I think I will tackle this tomorrow in case I get stuck during installation as I will have more time to phone up and hopefully get through to PCS for help as I won’t have access to the forum which is worrying.

But I am sure it will go swimmingly.

Hope you all have a great evening and all is going well.
Bob.
:)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your help !! :)
I have been unable to post as it took a very long time for windows 10 to download because I don't have super fast internet I sometimes get 20mb if I am very lucky and I am capped to 30 gig a month .
I now have Windows 10 thanks to you all !!!!! Absolutely over the moon !! Thank you.
I have checked in Activation and it has upgraded me to Windows 10 Home as my previous version was Windows 7 Home Premium which makes sense. I am more than happy with Home.
During the process I was not prompted to create a Microsoft account and I don't already have one.
So in Activation it just said "Windows is activated with a digital license"
So I created a Microsoft account and after it was all set up I went back into Activation and low and behold it now says:
"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stage one is done !!!:D

I have all my notes for stage 2 printed out - Clean install of windows 10 and am feeling more confident to do it now.
I know you have mentioned a different process to the upgrade then clean install procedure but unless you think it is vital I will stick to the plan as I have been reading my notes all the time and I might get a bit confused.
I will report back as I carry on with my journey to a clean install of windows 10.
I can't thank you all enough for helping me I am so happy.
I think I will tackle this tomorrow in case I get stuck during installation as I will have more time to phone up and hopefully get through to PCS for help as I won’t have access to the forum which is worrying.

But I am sure it will go swimmingly.

Hope you all have a great evening and all is going well.
Bob.
:)
Awesome!!!! The mission is a success :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey isn't windows 10 great !!! I am lovin it already
It is very good, takes a bit of getting used to. You'll find the search is actually fully useable now, so much better than on 7.

Settings are in 2 bits, you've got the normal control panel as it was and then the new win 10 settings from right clicking the start menu.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Yes it will take me some time to adjust as I am a bit of computer dinosaur as you have probably realized.:LOL:
Thanks for the great tips! :)I will try right clicking the start menu to see the Win10 settings.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Happy days! Honestly it is music to my ears when people are willing to get off unsupported operating systems.

I know people say that they find Windows 7 to be more attractive but I find that the cleanliness of the Windows 10 interface is much more conducive to work. I don't use Home but I believe it does contain ads in the tiles which is a bit naughty of MS normally, however, given it was effectively a free update I think I can forgive them in those instances.

You will also notice you have no way to not install Windows updates - I know it's a bit of a pain every month when there's a shutdown/reboot delay but I promise that given the enhanced protections you get by being patched, it is worth it in every way.

There are some very knowledgeable folks on here as well with regards to Windows and as you've seen, very willing to assist further.

Enjoy your shiny new OS. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Happy days! Honestly it is music to my ears when people are willing to get off unsupported operating systems.

I know people say that they find Windows 7 to be more attractive but I find that the cleanliness of the Windows 10 interface is much more conducive to work. I don't use Home but I believe it does contain ads in the tiles which is a bit naughty of MS normally, however, given it was effectively a free update I think I can forgive them in those instances.

You will also notice you have no way to not install Windows updates - I know it's a bit of a pain every month when there's a shutdown/reboot delay but I promise that given the enhanced protections you get by being patched, it is worth it in every way.

There are some very knowledgeable folks on here as well with regards to Windows and as you've seen, very willing to assist further.

Stick it on dark mode and it looks the biz also, dark mode rules!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh and if you had any 3rd party antivirus, uninstall it fully and just use the built in windows one, it’s far better and free.

slimbob

Enthusiast
The error you're making is to use the USB drive to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. This should work for everyone but sadly it often leads to many niggly problems.

You need to boot that USB stick, choose a custom install and delete the existing partitions. The installer will then clean install Windows 10.

Hi UBUYSA. This is my job tomorrow, I am going to attempt a Windows 10 clean install using my new USB stick which arrived today to help me.
By the way OpenOffice is awesome!!! Thanks again for that. :)
Hope you are having a nice evening.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hey isn't windows 10 great !!! I am lovin it already

Great news on the install. The next step should be fairly straight forward. You just want to be sure you have any drivers required to support your WIFI. If it's supported direct from the install then you will have no issues at all, it's only tricky if you get to the end and have no internet connection due to the driver missing, so I always have it handy on the USB I'm formatting with :)

slimbob

Enthusiast

Thanks Tony,

Yes being able to update for free is awesome isn’t it!!!

Understood about windows update and it’s great to know I am now fully protected.

I couldn’t agree more everyone is so helpful, knowledgeable and patient especially with novices like me.
PCS is incredible !! :)