Windows 7 / 10 Advice Please, Thank you

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks Tony,

Yes being able to update for free is awesome isn’t it!!!

Understood about windows update and it’s great to know I am now fully protected.

I couldn’t agree more everyone is so helpful, knowledgeable and patient especially with novices like me.
PCS is incredible !! :)

Just to point out that all the folks that have helped - me included - none of us work for or have any connection with PCS other than having bought their kit in the past.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Great news on the install. The next step should be fairly straight forward. You just want to be sure you have any drivers required to support your WIFI. If it's supported direct from the install then you will have no issues at all, it's only tricky if you get to the end and have no internet connection due to the driver missing, so I always have it handy on the USB I'm formatting with :)

Thanks a million Scott,
Your links and help was instrumental to my success. :)

I don’t have wifi my virgin media super hub as wifi turned off and I have a wired internet connection. I know you mentioned about finding the drivers for wifi/internetcard/dongle in your previous posts. Do I still need to do this or because I never use wifi and use a wired connection all the time I am I o.k.?

Thank you.

slimbob

Enthusiast
I have been having a play to get ready for my clean install tomorrow.

All the notes I have made from Scott’s links and all your posts are starting to sink in a bit better now but may I ask just a couple of things before I take the plunge tomorrow.

My USB is a 16 gig Sandisk Ultra 3.0 which arrived today.

I am blessed that my P.C case has a USB 3.0 and a USB 2.0 ports on the top.

Scott you mentioned in one of your previous post about using USB 2.0. So should I boot up with my USB 3.0 stick in my USB 2.0 port or put it in my USB 3.0 port.?

I have been doing what you suggested and having a trial run booting from my USB stick to see the boot menu.

Here is the boot menu screen shot

Boot Menu USB 3.0 Port.jpg

I do have the choice for my sandisk USB stick drive either between Sandisk and UEFI : Sandisk?

Which should I choose to boot from please.

The last thing is after I have booted and installed when I get the:

Windows Set Up – Activate Windows screen am I right in saying I don’t put in my old windows 7 license key here but instead I will click I don’t have a key because I will be activating it later with my Microsoft account which my windows 10 digital license is linked to. I have checked this and it is successfully linked.

Thanks so much. :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As you are using a cable, I would be surprised if you needed drivers. It does happen from time to time, but very rare. It's up to yourself if you want to hunt around for the driver or not, the likelihood of needing it is slim.

I believe you can use USB2.0 or USB3.0 with Windows. For compatibility I would probably opt for 2.0 but if 3.0 works then there's no reason not to use it. The worst case is that you need to reboot and swap it over, no big deal.

For the boot, I would select UEFI as this is the type of boot partition you will want installed.

Yes, you won't need the key. It will just ask you to sign in, or there will be an option to sign in. If it comes up asking for a key just click the option to sort it later.

slimbob

Enthusiast
As you are using a cable, I would be surprised if you needed drivers. It does happen from time to time, but very rare. It's up to yourself if you want to hunt around for the driver or not, the likelihood of needing it is slim.

I believe you can use USB2.0 or USB3.0 with Windows. For compatibility I would probably opt for 2.0 but if 3.0 works then there's no reason not to use it. The worst case is that you need to reboot and swap it over, no big deal.

For the boot, I would select UEFI as this is the type of boot partition you will want installed.

Yes, you won't need the key. It will just ask you to sign in, or there will be an option to sign in. If it comes up asking for a key just click the option to sort it later.

Brilliant Scott,!! :)
O.k I am already and will do this tomorrow so if something bad happens I can phone up PCS as I will be offline. I will report back when its all done and dusted with success screenshots !!!
Thank you Scott, thank you everyone.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Regarding drivers, Windows 10 includes basic LAN and WiFi drivers that will work with all common and current devices. Whilst it's possible that you may have a LAN or WiFi card that Windows won't drive the chances are vanishingly remote.

That said, the built-in drivers are very basic so you will still need to run Windows Update to install the correct drivers so that you get all the bells and whistles from those devices.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Regarding drivers, Windows 10 includes basic LAN and WiFi drivers that will work with all common and current devices. Whilst it's possible that you may have a LAN or WiFi card that Windows won't drive the chances are vanishingly remote.

That said, the built-in drivers are very basic so you will still need to run Windows Update to install the correct drivers so that you get all the bells and whistles from those devices.
The built-in WiFi drivers didn't work with my shiny new spectre when I installed windows on it two weeks on it when it arrived. Doh!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The built-in WiFi drivers didn't work with my shiny new spectre when I installed windows on it two weeks on it when it arrived. Doh!
If it’s a new laptop then it’s unlikely the drivers will be included in the windows catalogue, takes time to get them approved. Same with most new devices, then after 6 months or so you’ll find they install automatically.

Desktops are different as they’re usually based off established protocols and chips and legacy drivers will normally work.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it’s a new laptop then it’s unlikely the drivers will be included in the windows catalogue, takes time to get them approved. Same with most new devices, then after 6 months or so you’ll find they install automatically.

Desktops are different as they’re usually based off established protocols and chips and legacy drivers will normally work.
Actually I think it's even simpler than that. All Windows drivers must conform to the Windows Driver Model, for networking devices this defines how the drivers communicate with NDIS (the Network Driver Interface Specification, which interfaces the networking hardware to the drivers). Although I don't know any of the deep technical details of WDM or NDIS, I do know that network device drivers must use a standard set of libraries when communicating with devices (the NDIS libraries) so it should be possible for Windows to communicate at a very simple level with all networking devices by using the common NDIS library calls that all devices must support. That, I believe, is how Windows is able to access the Internet via LAN and WiFi during the install - even the installer is able to use these basic NDIS library calls.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Actually I think it's even simpler than that. All Windows drivers must conform to the Windows Driver Model, for networking devices this defines how the drivers communicate with NDIS (the Network Driver Interface Specification, which interfaces the networking hardware to the drivers). Although I don't know any of the deep technical details of WDM or NDIS, I do know that network device drivers must use a standard set of libraries when communicating with devices (the NDIS libraries) so it should be possible for Windows to communicate at a very simple level with all networking devices by using the common NDIS library calls that all devices must support. That, I believe, is how Windows is able to access the Internet via LAN and WiFi during the install - even the installer is able to use these basic NDIS library calls.
That’s the point though, on newer machines, WiFi won’t work on a windows install unless you manually install drivers, the windows drivers will rarely work. Will always work with LAN though

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Well will always work with LAN if the chipset drivers are installed. I tend to make sure I have LAN, WAN and Chipset drivers on the USB stick just in case.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That’s the point though, on newer machines, WiFi won’t work on a windows install unless you manually install drivers, the windows drivers will rarely work. Will always work with LAN though
Yep, your right. :)

I've been doing some reading about the WinPE drivers (WinPE is the OS that supports the Windows installer), particularly the driver framework that is supported. It clearly states here that 'General wireless networking functionality is not supported in WinPE', which is curious because it always has in every other laptop I've installed Windows on before. Now I need to research why that's changed... ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep, your right. :)

I've been doing some reading about the WinPE drivers (WinPE is the OS that supports the Windows installer), particularly the driver framework that is supported. It clearly states here that 'General wireless networking functionality is not supported in WinPE', which is curious because it always has in every other laptop I've installed Windows on before. Now I need to research why that's changed... ;)
Ah, there we go, that explains it, I’d always wondered why that was, makes sense now :)

slimbob

Enthusiast

Thanks, :)
I will make sure to run Windows update after the install to make sure my drivers are all upto date 👍.
I am doing the clean install right now and will report back with how it all goes.
Fingerscrossed and touch wood it all goes according to plan.
Thanks again.
Over and out.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone, :)

Thank you very much first of all

Here is a quick status report. I haven't posted a success screen shot yet or gone into full blown celebration mode because you may tell me I need to do something else before I am all done and dusted. So I might not quite be through the finish line quite yet, I will explain further down.

Everything went fantastic !!! No boot loops, no problems with my internet connection and as soon as I went into activation it showed Windows 10 was activated and the digital license was linked to my Google account, brilliant!!. This stage was less problematic than yesterday's upgrade stage with that pesky little Nero - Rom Burning software hiding on my computer till I successfully tracked it down with your help that is.

O.k the first thing is I was greeted with my original desktop wallpaper image I used when using windows 7 not the default blue windows 10 desk top wallpaper? Is this normal? Where did it get that image from if the hard drive was completely wiped?

Also when I open my C: Drive it is great as it is empty apart from 26 gig which is all windows software .... But ... I have a:

Program Files folder

And a:

Program Files (x86) folder

Is this normal? I was expecting just one. Windows has saved things in both folders not just one? Both are in use? Before the upgrade / clean install I did have these two folders on my C drive before it was wiped or I think it was wiped?

Please note during the installation process I made sure to delete all the partitions till I only had one big piece of unallocated space I definitely did this. So because my original wallpaper showed up and I have these two folders in my C drive was this clean install a success or has something gone a bit askew? I really followed the guide to the letter and everything was straightforward.

Because the clean install went so well I don’t mind if I have to do it all again, I don’t mind if i have to do it 3 times as I would much rather make sure all is as it should be now before I start spending time getting everything how I would like it to be.

If all is well should I still drag and drop all the folders from one of my C drive program folders into the other one and delete the other? If I should which one should I keep? The program files folder or the program files (x86) folder? Or is all o.k and I should just keep both? What would you do?

Is it time to get the party poppers out and download my beloved paint.net software so I can do a print screen and share a success screen shot with you all and another in dark mode for Spydertracks!!.:D

Thanks a million everyone.

slimbob

Enthusiast
I have been having trouble posting that last message so if I don't get back to you it's because I am unable to successfully post. Let's see if this one posts o.k, fingers crossed.
Cheers.
Bob

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
UOTE="slimbob, post: 470318, member: 20217"]
Hi Everyone, :)

Thank you very much first of all

Here is a quick status report. I haven't posted a success screen shot yet or gone into full blown celebration mode because you may tell me I need to do something else before I am all done and dusted. So I might not quite be through the finish line quite yet, I will explain further down.

Everything went fantastic !!! No boot loops, no problems with my internet connection and as soon as I went into activation it showed Windows 10 was activated and the digital license was linked to my Google account, brilliant!!. This stage was less problematic than yesterday's upgrade stage with that pesky little Nero - Rom Burning software hiding on my computer till I successfully tracked it down with your help that is.[/quote]

Great news.

O.k the first thing is I was greeted with my original desktop wallpaper image I used when using windows 7 not the default blue windows 10 desk top wallpaper? Is this normal? Where did it get that image from if the hard drive was completely wiped?

You logged in with the same Microsoft account as before, Microsoft saved it for you. That's normal.

Also when I open my C: Drive it is great as it is empty apart from 26 gig which is all windows software .... But ... I have a:

Program Files folder

And a:

Program Files (x86) folder

Is this normal? I was expecting just one. Windows has saved things in both folders not just one? Both are in use? Before the upgrade / clean install I did have these two folders on my C drive before it was wiped or I think it was wiped?

A 64-bit version of Windows does have two program files, the two you mention. Program Files is for 64-bit applications and Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit programs (although nothing enforces that). Again, perfectly normal.

Please note during the installation process I made sure to delete all the partitions till I only had one big piece of unallocated space I definitely did this. So because my original wallpaper showed up and I have these two folders in my C drive was this clean install a success or has something gone a bit askew? I really followed the guide to the letter and everything was straightforward.

Because the clean install went so well I don’t mind if I have to do it all again, I don’t mind if i have to do it 3 times as I would much rather make sure all is as it should be now before I start spending time getting everything how I would like it to be.

If all is well should I still drag and drop all the folders from one of my C drive program folders into the other one and delete the other? If I should which one should I keep? The program files folder or the program files (x86) folder? Or is all o.k and I should just keep both? What would you do?

Is it time to get the party poppers out and download my beloved paint.net software so I can do a print screen and share a success screen shot with you all and another in dark mode for Spydertracks!!.:D

Thanks a million everyone.
All is well, from what you say here it was a resounding success!!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I believe when you sign into Windows 10 with an online account, the default is to sync some or all of your settings, one of which would be your wallpaper.

I assume that when you did an in-place upgrade yesterday, Windows 10 had that wallpaper, carried over from Windows 7.

I can't verify it here as I have a different type of account.

Really glad you've got it back running and all clean.

Attachments

• 2020-04-16 17_06_56-Settings.png
    2020-04-16 17_06_56-Settings.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 146