Battlefield 3

SlickShoes

I got this as my free game from EA for the Sim City debacle. Now I have had a chance to try it out I wonder why I never played it before it seems really great so far.

Any tips for a complete beginner? I am toying with buying the premium pack to get access to all the maps but can't really afford it at the moment. Is it best to stick with one class and unlock a fair amount of stuff for that one first?

Operation Metro seems brutal so far, is it best avoided? I have joined a few games on this map and they are the only ones I end up with a terrible score because all of the paths forward are just swamped with grenades you can't even move.

kruppsy

Master
I think I put most effort into the engineer class first. That's where I'd start, there's some good stuff to unlock, plus you have a launcher which is always fun. But now its fairly level across all my classes.

Maps wise, I only tend to play the biggest maps on Conquest mode tbh, small/medium maps are too mental and Im not very good close quarters, or sniping for that matter..actually not sure why i play... :) I can't even remember what the standard map pack is as I got premium, but i do like Rush on Damavand Peak...spot of base jumping sir...

SlickShoes

Cheers, I started with engineer because it had the M4A1 which is my favourite gun in any shooter games so I am happy to plough down this path. Lots of the maps in the map packs look brilliant, any map with 32v32 seems awesome, the large scale seems great and there are plenty of people to kill!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
1) Get Premium to get End Game
2) Go to any End Game map
3) Pick Support with C4
4) Load up Motorbike with C4
5) Spend the whole duration of the round ignoring objectives and attempting to ram said bike into tanks and APCs jumping off in order to detonate C4
6) Rinse and repeat :)

(I am aware this always was the case with the quads and even larger vehicles, but there just seems something wholly more satisfying doing it on a bike...oh and its funny when someone goes pillion when you have C4 strapped to the bike and they don't realise :) )

SlickShoes

3) Pick Support with C4
5) Spend the whole duration of the round ignoring objectives and attempting to ram said bike into tanks and APCs jumping off in order to detonate C4

(I am aware this always was the case with the quads and even larger vehicles, but there just seems something wholly more satisfying doing it on a bike...oh and its funny when someone goes pillion when you have C4 strapped to the bike and they don't realise :) )

Hahaha that sounds amazing, that feature alone has almost sold me on buying it.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
3) Pick Support with C4

LOL, i just started to install it again thanks to this advise.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have at times really enjoyed bf3 online, but recently I find it just awful. My internet is crap and i just get nailed at every turn.... but when i play at my parents on scan's servers i get a ping of less than 10 as opposed to 60+ allowing me to own everyone by just playing normally.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
As a beginner, it's worth sticking to the smaller maps with lower players just to get used to the combat. I find that servers with between 30-40 people is fine on most (still more than what you could have on the consoles remember!). I sometimes struggle on the big maps as there are a lot of vehicle pro's out there so you can spend a lot of time just running around on the ground hunting for opposition drifters.

As I said on the post yesterday, Metro is a grenade fest xD Or an rpg one... take your pick. I spent about 2 hours one night stood in the exact same spot watching grenades being thrown at the same place. I stood there with my defib and medpacks and ended up top on the team purely down to my healing scores (got a few kills but it was like 3 times less than what the top killers had). Metro is good fun if you're just in the mood for a mindless session.

I swap between the classes to be honest, I think on the xbox version I focused on engineer first as I could get a lot of points with rpg's (especially once you unlock the perk that gives you like 7 rockets instead of 2/3) but on the PC I've focused more on the assault/medic. I like the assault rifles and I don't play vehicle maps much at the moment although I am looking to now that end game is out.

Main tip is try and find a group to play with. I haven't yet on the pc but am looking to and even just pairing up with randomers by accident during a game is great fun. I hopped in an APC last night with some random guy and we got tons of kills together and both kept getting out to repair each other, etc.

Yea, so basically pick a class based on the map you're on or whatever you feel is best (there is no right or wrong unless you decide to snipe miles away from the action. Then you're wrong), don't feel obliged to jump straight onto the 64 player servers, there are more people to shoot at but if you're new you'll find you're cannon fodder most the time. Remember on consoles you could only have 24 players max so anything over that is still an improvement. And don't always pick the biggest maps otherwise you could find yourself running around alone in the wilderness most the time, in my opinion big maps only really come into their own when there's 3 or 4 of you together. Oh and Team Deathmatch is a good mode to get started on for shooting practice, it's normally pretty frantic :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
But if you don't want to get flamed at constantly, don't use a sniper rifle on Rush when you are attacking...people don't seem to like your lack of help in destroying the MCOMs (but they never seem to mention the idiots trying to C4 tank or infantry on bikes...funny that :) )

rickne

Master Poster
Lets get some more PCS love on BF. I have a handful of you on Origin. But more of you feel free to add me . My addy is in my sig. :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
But if you don't want to get flamed at constantly, don't use a sniper rifle on Rush when you are attacking...people don't seem to like your lack of help in destroying the MCOMs (but they never seem to mention the idiots trying to C4 tank or infantry on bikes...funny that :) )

True story bro.

I do feel BF3 is quite un-engaging compared to Bad company 2. Bad company 2 was like every man counted and everyone would hop into the tanks at the start and storm the base and all work together. BF3 mostly feels like everybody doing their own thing... I may have just got super unlucky up to now though, I haven't played a huge amount of rush to be fair.

kruppsy

Master
Im rarely on it these days but feel free to add me in...'kruppsy' on origin aswell...If I know there's going to be a PCS platoon engaging in 2-wheeled C4 antics, i'll make the extra effort :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im rarely on it these days but feel free to add me in...'kruppsy' on origin aswell...If I know there's going to be a PCS platoon engaging in 2-wheeled C4 antics, i'll make the extra effort :)

Aye i'd be up for that too

SmokeDarKnight on origin, might have a space.. ill check when i get home

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I think my origin is Grimezy93 if anyone wants to add :)

And £20 for premium isn't bad. Getting premium and the game for £23 is obviously better value but if you already have the game then £20 is a pretty fair price. They add a ton of new maps, challenges, game modes, etc rather than just new maps on rush/conquest with same guns.

SlickShoes

Cheers for all the tips, I don't have a headset now so communication isn't really possible with other players so I will be mostly lone wolfing it. I will add some of you on Origin later because I currently have 0 friends having never used it up until 2 weeks ago!

Teaz

Godlike
It doesn't matter which map you play so long as you can get a good feel of the map to know your way around tight moments. A good starting class is the support. You can heal yourself and teammates if hurt plus you can revive anyone on the floor that is dead which will wick your points fast to unlock the side guns.

Keedar

Expert
Guys feel free to add me :) My origin is same as here.I have premium but not even played End game yet lol For long time i am not touched bf3 so it will be nice to come back.I am not sure if my battlelog reach full.Also i am not a great player but always looking for some fun.