Classics - Remind us of the ones that still make you move

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I went to Amsterdam this week end (to see the Vermeer exhibition, not what you may think XD)
And since i have this song, from the french singer Jacques Brel, in my mind ...
It's a wonder.
I know you may not understand the song, but i hope you'll enjoy at least the music :

David bowie did an adaptation :

I wish you a good listening

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This for me is a modern classic, I think it’s so clever, it combines very childlike wonder with some really cool sounds.

Never got the recognition it deserved. Vinyl version is really hard to find at a decent cost but they just reissued some copies without telling anyone and luckily I managed to grab one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just playing this through for the first time in a while. Can't remember how I came across this track, think it featured in a series or something and hunted it down back in early 2000's, such a fantastic tune

Smokin' Jo - Yanu

Scan - 2023-07-22 20_49_24.jpeg

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've never been one for the dance floor, but this always gets me singing along and tapping my feet, the solo that Paul Jones plays in the middle of this is absolutely amazing(think its about 7 minutes long), I saw them once at friars club in Aylesbury, the encore was over 3/4 of an hour long

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - The Beat That My Heart Skipped. This might have been the standout track of 2007 for me. Still gets played at least once a week.

The band I was in at the time covered it and maaaan, it was difficult. For a northern man like me (think of the accent) to spit out lyrics like that and play bass at the same time was no mean feat. Probably would’ve helped if I’d taken the cigarette out of my mouth as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - The Beat That My Heart Skipped. This might have been the standout track of 2007 for me. Still gets played at least once a week.

The band I was in at the time covered it and maaaan, it was difficult. For a northern man like me (think of the accent) to spit out lyrics like that and play bass at the same time was no mean feat. Probably would’ve helped if I’d taken the cigarette out of my mouth as well.
Awesome tune, is Scroobius still going?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This song likely needs no introduction, but this version in particular gives me proper chills.

Watched the cut a few weeks back and the scene with this track stopped me dead in my tracks. It's just one of those songs for me.

Not quite a foot tapper though :LOL:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My favourite foot tappy version is from Lost Witness (They have some fantastic trance tracks from back in the day)

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Do you prefer a diva dancing, or a taxi chasing ? :D
Both songs are from the Fifth Element movie

(please, don't mind the awful background edit ...)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, so needs no introduction whatsoever, but I was just checking out which album this was on as I didn't realise it was on their first, genuinely thought it came a lot later on in their career. And then was just reading up some bits on it.

Turns out, this was sung by John, he'd done a live gig the night before, had been recording for the album the whole day, plus had a really bad cold, and his voice was completely ruined. YET for me, that's what makes this version so damn good is because it was so rough and ready, it's one of those amazing coincidences that this version that we love so much, and featured so heavily in films like Ferris Beuller's could only have happened with those exact set of circumstances.

If John had been well rested and not grabbing for the cleenex, I would hazard a guess I wouldn't love this version as much as I do

This is of course, the absolutely wonderful Twist and Shout

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ok, so needs no introduction whatsoever, but I was just checking out which album this was on as I didn't realise it was on their first, genuinely thought it came a lot later on in their career. And then was just reading up some bits on it.

Turns out, this was sung by John, he'd done a live gig the night before, had been recording for the album the whole day, plus had a really bad cold, and his voice was completely ruined. YET for me, that's what makes this version so damn good is because it was so rough and ready, it's one of those amazing coincidences that this version that we love so much, and featured so heavily in films like Ferris Beuller's could only have happened with those exact set of circumstances.

If John had been well rested and not grabbing for the cleenex, I would hazard a guess I wouldn't love this version as much as I do

This is of course, the absolutely wonderful Twist and Shout

Very good choice, I salute you. It’s mad, the majority of that album was done in one day, with overdubs, mixing and fine tuning done the following day. They deliberately saved Twist and Shout as the last song to record as John knew his voice would be done after singing that. Masterful decision, wasn’t it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Very good choice, I salute you. It’s mad, the majority of that album was done in one day, with overdubs, mixing and fine tuning done the following day. They deliberately saved Twist and Shout as the last song to record as John knew his voice would be done after singing that. Masterful decision, wasn’t it?
Man, I've missed you!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Man, I've missed you!
No matter what happens next year, it can’t be worse than what’s happened in the last six months. A lot of real life admin has come to a stage where I should (hopefully) not just making cameo appearances and mopping up spam. It’ll be good to be back properly 🤞👍