Covid 19 has a lot of spending to answer for!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Interesting setup. I just ordered a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog throttle/joystick setup to run DCS when the new PC arrives, but that motorised seat setup looks pretty awesome.

I was almost going for the Warthog.... it was a bit out of budget and the requirement for rudder pedals put me off a bit.

I didn't think pedals were essential with the warthog? At least not with DCS unless you're doing helicopters, maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway I had to cancel it this morning, due date was 4 June and they just changed it to 27 July...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I didn't think pedals were essential with the warthog? At least not with DCS unless you're doing helicopters, maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway I had to cancel it this morning, due date was 4 June and they just changed it to 27 July...

That's a real shame, it looks like a fantastic piece of kit. Most are selling out unfortunately, damn covid haha.

It was the typical rudder control that I was told wasn't on the system. Normally you would twist the stick to control the rudder axis (Z-Rotation). It's a fixed stick so didn't have the option. If you wanted this axis controlled it would need the pedals for the rudder.

Oddly, I found it again on the Thrustmaster website for only a bit more than I'd originally paid, so I've ordered it again on there as they have it in stock. I dont think I have a particular need for the rudder controls but we'll see. Certainly nothing like your motorised rig! :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Oddly, I found it again on the Thrustmaster website for only a bit more than I'd originally paid, so I've ordered it again on there as they have it in stock. I dont think I have a particular need for the rudder controls but we'll see. Certainly nothing like your motorised rig! :)

Would be fine using a keyboard anyway. My difficulty was always controlling it in VR. I can't navigate a keyboard with the headset on :D

I'm intending to get a VR headset, maybe a Rift S - but I also have a Razer Orbweaver mech keyboard, and the keys on this are pretty easy to feel where they are, so I think if I need to I can use that for rudder and whatever else.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
dU0Y5FM.jpg

lGuJaJA.jpg

BRAqXZH.jpg
0EnmP0z.jpg

slimbob

Enthusiast
Scott it looks so awesome! It has a real industrial look to it like something out of the Bat Cave! :cool:
I imagine with most tech it would be very hard now to go back without it and playing the same games would be sadly lacking without this badboy contributing to the overall experience. There's no going back.

Out of interest as a % how much has this simrig/seat/controls improved your gaming experience.

Cheers Scott :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Steering & pedals makes you competitive. Using either a keyboard or a gamepad will never allow a proper gaming experience.

VR is the same for me. I'm next to useless on a screen, I need the ability to look around me at all times to feel engaged in the game.

The Simrig, just adds a big smile. It's all about fun. It actually makes me less competitive. If I want to get my times down I'll either need loads of practice or I'm going to have to switch it off for. Experience wise, paired with the VR, there's simply nothing like it. I feel like I'm getting thrown around like a rag doll and I actually tense up when hitting things as I know what is coming. It's an unbelievable experience.

So.... for competition. A good wheel/pedal combo allows you to be competitive. Night and day better than any other control interface.
VR just allows for the visibility and better judgement overall, adding to the quicker learning of tracks etc. I don't know if most would be quicker or slower with VR, I firmly believe that all would learn faster though.
Simrig just adds an insane level of immersion.

I've recorded me playing Dirt Rally, this is just a phenomenal experience overall. I'm sweating with adrenaline after a couple of stages haha.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
You really should have expanded on that "Steering & Pedals make you competitive....providing you have some talent at driving to begin with" :ROFLMAO: I'd still be pretty bad...it's just that I'd be driving bad in a better way ;)

As to your video, that rig is pretty sweet combined with that big TV...pretty sure the next upgrade you need is that fireplace...looks too low-tech with all that hardware :unsure:

One thing: Does that rig not make you feel nauseous? I had to turn it off halfway through as all the movement was making me feel eurgh! Admittedly, I've never been rallying so maybe all that movement is comparable to real-life?

Ach it's a game, so even zero driving ability will grow. A decent wheel makes such a difference though. Driving games just aren't playable with a controller, well at least any of the realistic ones.

That fireplace is stuck unfortunately. I would have ditched it in 2004 when I bought the place but it's actually a back boiler and can't be changed without changing the entire heating system (about 15k). I'm looking to move at some point so it can be the next owners dilemma haha.

I don't get any nausea at all. I'm really lucky that way. A lot of people that have tried just the VR feel the motion sickness with it. The only time I've felt anything is driving in reverse, that just messes with your brain. Other than that, I'm absolutely fine.

With regards to the motion itself, I've never been rallying either but it does feel like I'm driving a car. I wonder if that would maybe help with the nausea as that's pretty much the feeling that your brain is expecting so maybe you would feel less sick with it. Not sure to be honest, not an issue for me though haha.

slimbob

Enthusiast
Steering & pedals makes you competitive. Using either a keyboard or a gamepad will never allow a proper gaming experience.

VR is the same for me. I'm next to useless on a screen, I need the ability to look around me at all times to feel engaged in the game.

The Simrig, just adds a big smile. It's all about fun. It actually makes me less competitive. If I want to get my times down I'll either need loads of practice or I'm going to have to switch it off for. Experience wise, paired with the VR, there's simply nothing like it. I feel like I'm getting thrown around like a rag doll and I actually tense up when hitting things as I know what is coming. It's an unbelievable experience.

So.... for competition. A good wheel/pedal combo allows you to be competitive. Night and day better than any other control interface.
VR just allows for the visibility and better judgement overall, adding to the quicker learning of tracks etc. I don't know if most would be quicker or slower with VR, I firmly believe that all would learn faster though.
Simrig just adds an insane level of immersion.

I've recorded me playing Dirt Rally, this is just a phenomenal experience overall. I'm sweating with adrenaline after a couple of stages haha.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have never tried VR but imagine it makes going back to a screen difficult as it is so much more immersive. Your set up with steering/pedals, VR and now the simrig must be out of this world. I appreciate it must be hard to articulate the experience in words to someone who has not experienced VR let alone VR combined with a professional simrig!

Your video is cool and the whole thing looks insanely good!!

Have you tried any flight games yet out of interest?

I wonder where gaming will be in 10 years from now its mind blowing isn’t it!!

I will let you get back to Dirt Rally and am so pleased the simrig lived up to your expectations !! :)

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
There is NO WAY the long haired admiral would have that rig in the front room!!! Looks like you are riding a bucking bronco bud!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
There is NO WAY the long haired admiral would have that rig in the front room!!! Looks like you are riding a bucking bronco bud!

I no longer have one of them to answer to hahaha.

Yeah, Dirt Rally in particular is mental. It's insane how strong it is when on it. The video does not do it justice haha.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I no longer have one of them to answer to hahaha.

Yeah, Dirt Rally in particular is mental. It's insane how strong it is when on it. The video does not do it justice haha.
Yeah sort of guessed you didn't have that hassle to deal with lol.

Is that rig supposed to be bolted down? The back end seems to hop around a bit too much?

I did show my Mrs your rig, she rolled her eyes and walked off with a leaving comment of "you'd never get your fat arse in that anyway, so forget it". Thought it was a bit of a low blow tbh 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is that rig supposed to be bolted down? The back end seems to hop around a bit too much?

Not sure what you mean? It's meant to drift side to side and rock up and down? Is there a particular time reference you mean?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
At around the 25 second mark, the entire rear end of the rig is moving around....not surprising given it's on a wooden floor....on carpet it probably wouldn't move at all.

Do you mean the couple of mm that it moves with jutting through the ditch.... or the large swings from left to right? The swings are deliberate on the rig, it moves about 5-6 inches each way at the rear to emulate traction loss at the rear.

The couple of mm's it moves is just due to the hardwood flooring. I don't notice it in game..... yet haha. I also had it on some slightly exaggerated settings just for fun. In iRacing and FSX it doesn't move at all that I've noticed. When I first got it and put it on WILD settings I would come out a rally cross circuit in iRacing and be about 6 inches to the left of where I started hahaha.