Is Day Z worth getting ?

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
That's fair enough, but I don't have a Skype. I wouldn't even know how to find the North West Airfield anyway.

edit -

I have a question for you all I forgot to ask.

You know when you press the ?/ key it lets you type in a message and it appears on the left side of the screen, well I've never seen anyone type anything back to me. Does it only work within a certain radius of other players? or is it something from Arma II that isn't supported in dayz?

You can change channels with , and .

Group Channel should send a message to everyone on your team (i.e. the survivors) and direct communication works in the sense that anyone close to you will see it. You can also hold the CAPS key to speak on either of those channels

If you get skype Jiyuu, we can direct you to the North-east Airfield

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
You can change channels with , and .

Group Channel should send a message to everyone on your team (i.e. the survivors) and direct communication works in the sense that anyone close to you will see it. You can also hold the CAPS key to speak on either of those channels

If you get skype Jiyuu, we can direct you to the North-east Airfield

That's cool, thanks.

It may be best if I just kill my character, so I can at least tell you a location to direct me from, otherwise it's going to be difficult.

FYI: my dayz character name is: [GU] Jiyuu

I'll be on later tonight around 6.

ThomasM

Currently we are north of the north-west airfield, because I dont quite know everybody here I'm not willing to disclose my group's location in public... I'm sure you can understand this what with all the time we've been betrayed and killed by random strangers

If you add me on skype Jiyuu we will be on tomorrow during the day

Group currently consists of:

Keenhail (me)
Jonny
ThomasM
Fear
Drunken Monkey
Benjamin
Nyghtfang
Amn351a
After you guys signed out, i went to the Airfield on my own, i ran into someone named patrick who was about to shoot so i put about 20 bullets in him! Got his alice pack, he also had an AKM which glitched on me and instead i got lots of cokes haha! Signed out near the 1st meeting point, but not the end point!

steaky360

who was about to shoot so i put about 20 bullets in him!

This game sounds very 'friendly'

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I've been reading it as its progressed (I don't own Arma II so cant contribute really) but that comment was excellent!

Very measured response.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I've been reading it as its progressed (I don't own Arma II so cant contribute really) but that comment was excellent!

Very measured response.

This is pretty much how the game goes...

New Player: Right so lets figure out how to play this game
*new player dies to zombies*
New Player: Right, clearly need to find a weapon...
*new player finds a hatchet*
New player: OMG A HATCHET!
*new player finds an AKM with 3 mags*
New players: Lets merc some zombies!!
*new players runs into a random stranger*
*random stranger kills new player & steals their guns*
*new player vows to kill every single person he ever runs into*

Pretty much at the start dying isn't an issue, you eventually become numb to it... but once you have managed to survive for as long as some of us have and then get killed by a arsehole you sorta get to the point where everybody you dont know is going to kill you and its kill or be killed

ThomasM

Very measured response.

If i didnt shoot him, he would have shot me :( Also he wouldn't die, thats why so many bullets were fired haha!

steaky360

This is pretty much how the game goes...

New Player: Right so lets figure out how to play this game
*new player dies to zombies*
New Player: Right, clearly need to find a weapon...
*new player finds a hatchet*
New player: OMG A HATCHET!
*new player finds an AKM with 3 mags*
New players: Lets merc some zombies!!
*new players runs into a random stranger*
*random stranger kills new player & steals their guns*
*new player vows to kill every single person he ever runs into*

Pretty much at the start dying isn't an issue, you eventually become numb to it... but once you have managed to survive for as long as some of us have and then get killed by a arsehole you sorta get to the point where everybody you dont know is going to kill you and its kill or be killed

That sounds like me on every game "OMG A (insert cool new weapon/device/ability here)" and then proceed to die repeatedly online :p.

If i didnt shoot him, he would have shot me :( Also he wouldn't die, thats why so many bullets were fired haha!

Oh man that sucks, from what I've read bullets are reasonably rare on this mod! That is a fairly expensive kill! At least you came out on top!

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
That sounds like me on every game "OMG A (insert cool new weapon/device/ability here)" and then proceed to die repeatedly online :p.

Oh man that sucks, from what I've read bullets are reasonably rare on this mod! That is a fairly expensive kill! At least you came out on top!

Bullets are very rare to find, guns like AKM & Lee Enfield ammo tends to be quite common (maybe slightly rare). Rarest bullets are silenced weapon mags, Silenced weapons are the best for taking down zombies but you dont wanna use them unless you absolutely have to

Shooting the game is also again something you sorta never wanna have to do, if you take down a zombie with a melee attacks thats always best. Take for example yesterday, Jonny & I were making our way north the airfield and we had to stop for some supplies in a town... Jonny accidently attracts a zombie, he runs and the zombie gets a lucky hit and knocks him over, he's like KILL IT FFS!...

Now before I continue, I'd best point out that at this point I have a Lee Enfield... a bolt action single chambered weapon with the noise level of a freaking jumbo jet... I shoot the zombie, it goes down and lo and behold 20 show up to investigate. I couldn't save him and had to run for my life

steaky360

Bullets are very rare to find, guns like AKM & Lee Enfield ammo tends to be quite common (maybe slightly rare). Rarest bullets are silenced weapon mags, Silenced weapons are the best for taking down zombies but you dont wanna use them unless you absolutely have to

Shooting the game is also again something you sorta never wanna have to do, if you take down a zombie with a melee attacks thats always best. Take for example yesterday, Jonny & I were making our way north the airfield and we had to stop for some supplies in a town... Jonny accidently attracts a zombie, he runs and the zombie gets a lucky hit and knocks him over, he's like KILL IT FFS!...

Now before I continue, I'd best point out that at this point I have a Lee Enfield... a bolt action single chambered weapon with the noise level of a freaking jumbo jet... I shoot the zombie, it goes down and lo and behold 20 show up to investigate. I couldn't save him and had to run for my life

Man... I wish I had Arma II etc. Sounds like a right laugh (in a twisted way) this mod.

Although if rumors are true it should be porting to Arma III when it is released?

Still... sounds like an excellent game to play!

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
I've only been player killed the once. I was running away from a train of zombies into a barn and this guy runs in from the other side of the barn, so I took the side exit to try and escape them, but he shot me in the back and knocked me out. Then the idiot tried to loot my body thinking I'd died completely oblivious to the hoard of zombies attacking us.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Although if rumors are true it should be porting to Arma III when it is released?

It's said on the dayz forums, that it is at some point going standalone, but no details have been given. I don't want it to be ported to Arma III as I don't want to buy it another Arma game, just for dayz.....again.....

I cant see it being this year if I'm honest, there's so many bugs at the moment and currently no end game scenario, once ya survived for a few days and found weapons and ammo, there aint much else to do apart from kill other players or group up and create a camp/base area. So i guess rocket still has alot to decide on, test those ideas in the alpha and so on.

steaky360

It's said on the dayz forums, that it is at some point going standalone, but no details have been given. I don't want it to be ported to Arma III as I don't want to buy it another Arma game, just for dayz.....again.....

I cant see it being this year if I'm honest, there's so many bugs at the moment and currently no end game scenario, once ya survived for a few days and found weapons and ammo, there aint much else to do apart from kill other players or group up and create a camp/base area. So i guess rocket still has alot to decide on, test those ideas in the alpha and so on.

Ah thats very cool, if (even in the distant future) it is planned to go stand alone. Would certainly consider a purchase from the results of the alpha stage! Even at this early stage it looks awesome and has plenty of people hooked! Guess its just a case of wait and see really :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
...and then they start the Beta and all those that have survived for over a year are immediately reset :)