Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It was Terry Pratchett for me....got introduced to TP and Discworld back in Secondary School, around 1990 or so and have loved them ever since...used to sit and read them during University lectures (big lecture hall and high desk areas could hide a book!!). From the late 90s, my Nan and Grandad used to buy me a hardback of the newest Pratchett book for my Birthday and I'd usually finish it the next day. Have loved all his books but the earlier ones were the best of them....Reaper Man is still my favourite...just the though of DEATH working as a farm hand cracks me up :ROFLMAO:
Death was a superb character! Loved the discworld books.
You should check out the Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin, his first 3 books, he’s like an adult Terry Pratchett, absolutely hilarious!

Gavras

Master Poster
For those who have access to BBC America (am sure it will appear on BBC over here at some point) and are Terry Pratchett fans, there is a 6 episode limited series event based on "The Watch" book.

It is not the best adaptation of TPs works and I spend most episodes grumbling about things (main character not rotund enough, some characters too short, some shouldn't be female, DEATH does not speak in Capital letters, let alone loudly..those familiar with Pratchett will understand that one!). Has even been criticised by Terry's daughter...however, it has it's moments and some of the humour fondly reminds you of why he was so dearly loved and why he is so dearly missed.
Fully with @SpyderTracks here.

Have read everything by Terry and had honour of meeting him couple times (can’t beat being a stalker).

The David Jason version where pretty good.

Capitals and a good curry, that is Death.

Good Omens was great as well.

The interview with Neil (assuming this is the one) after Terry wandered off for a curry is good.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Never heard of them..might have to take a look as Brentford has a special place in my heart as my Great Nan and Grandad lived there...have been a brentford FC supporter all htis time
Oh, you'd extra love it then, has loads of local references and landmarks.

Gavras

Master Poster
Death was a superb character! Loved the discworld books.
You should check out the Brentford Trilogy by Robert Rankin, his first 3 books, he’s like an adult Terry Pratchett, absolutely hilarious!
Yep really good.

I have a ridiculous amount of books, now mainly all Ebooks as we ran out of space.

One thing that always amazes me, there are actually adults that can read but chose not to.

I really struggle with the thought of someone not wanting to read, seems just bizarre.

Stephen M

Author Level
Always liked Douglas Adams as well as Terry Pratchett. Think the typewriter font used for Death's voice in the books is absolute genius, very simple but creates a perfect image.

That is where a good writer will always beat cinematic effects hands down. Special effects in films can be brilliant but clever writing allows the reader to visualise and create their own images, we are not just reading but taking part.

My favourite line by Adams is about Vogon space crafts: "They hung in the air in a way bricks don't." Cannot explain but somehow I can visualise that.

Gavras

Master Poster
Always liked Douglas Adams as well as Terry Pratchett. Think the typewriter font used for Death's voice in the books is absolute genius, very simple but creates a perfect image.

That is where a good writer will always beat cinematic effects hands down. Special effects in films can be brilliant but clever writing allows the reader to visualise and create their own images, we are not just reading but taking part.

My favourite line by Adams is about Vogon space crafts: "They hung in the air in a way bricks don't." Cannot explain but somehow I can visualise that.
It’s that use of the English language to provide that imaginative leap to our thinking and thoughts that really shows a brilliant writer (and punctuation😂).

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
For those who have access to BBC America (am sure it will appear on BBC over here at some point) and are Terry Pratchett fans, there is a 6 episode limited series event based on "The Watch" book.

It is not the best adaptation of TPs works and I spend most episodes grumbling about things (main character not rotund enough, some characters too short, some shouldn't be female, DEATH does not speak in Capital letters, let alone loudly..those familiar with Pratchett will understand that one!). Has even been criticised by Terry's daughter...however, it has it's moments and some of the humour fondly reminds you of why he was so dearly loved and why he is so dearly missed.
I agree.

First episode had me thinking I'd read The Watch by a different author, and bit 'meh'...but the later episodes have improved.

I found the other adaptations much better (i.e. quirkier)...The Hogfather, The Colour of Magic, Going Postal - but they may have been Sky productions.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I still have the HHGTTG radio shows on my iPod to listen to when I've got a relatively short journey on a packed train.

viniboi9

I watched Tenet as I'm a huge chris nolan fan, and I was left feeling a bit unsatisfied.. which I found to be strange as his last few films have been perfect imo

Mr pickles!!! not for the faint of heart tho

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 199

eva89

Really enjoyed Catherine the Great on Sky. Pretty entertaining, good acting, high production values. Happily watched it all. Don't know where and what liberties they took with history but a little wiki seemed like it was a reasonably accurate story, for TV at least.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Dead Pixels (E4) is back if anyone watched the first series, if you didnt - its a good laugh about flat mates playing an MMO game and their addiction :)

Just binge watched the second series that was out today :)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Started watching a thing called homecoming with Julia Roberts in the other week, she must have been desperate for work..............

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Started watching a thing called homecoming with Julia Roberts in the other week, she must have been desperate for work..............
On that train, I had the severe misfortune of watching the first 30 minutes of a film called “Breach” with Bruce Willis. OMG it was the most utterly poor piece of rubbish I think I’ve ever seen, why on earth he was in it I don’t know!

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Some actors will act in just about anything....look at Robert De Niro: One of the best actors of all time (in my opinion) yet his latter career has been a train wreck of garbage movies :(
The Irishman, Joker, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Last Vegas. Yeah there's been a bunch of garbage in there but he's also done some good ones

Intern wasn't my favourite but I really liked him in it