Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just started watching Silo on AppleTV+

2 episodes in and it's looking good. I suppose you'd call it a darker/mature version of City of Ember (maybe with a bit of The Island mixed in)
  • Dystopian setting
  • unknown reason for being there
  • owning of 'relics' (historical junk & artefacts) being illegal
  • population control through limited pregnancy licences

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just started watching Silo on AppleTV+

2 episodes in and it's looking good. I suppose you'd call it a darker/mature version of City of Ember (maybe with a bit of The Island mixed in)
  • Dystopian setting
  • unknown reason for being there
  • owning of 'relics' (historical junk & artefacts) being illegal
  • population control through limited pregnancy licences
Yeah, I've started this as well, really enjoying it. It skips timelines backwards and forwards which I love, keeps it fresh and you have to concentrate, lots of cliffhangers in each episode. Excellent acting as well, I'm a huge fan of Rashida Jones, think she's very underrated.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Watched the first season of True Detective for the first time, always heard it was good but never actually watched it. Holy crap it's excellent, loved all the King in Yellow references which I did not expect at all put a really interesting perspective twist on it as someone whose a fan of the book. Been talking about it last few days to anyone who'll listen

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Watched the first season of True Detective for the first time, always heard it was good but never actually watched it. Holy crap it's excellent, loved all the King in Yellow references which I did not expect at all put a really interesting perspective twist on it as someone whose a fan of the book. Been talking about it last few days to anyone who'll listen
One of the best Seasons I've ever seen, Matthew Mcconaughey was at Joker levels of good.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just watched The Covenant. Full title "Guy Ritchie's The Covenant" and for me it's clear to see why. If I made this movie I'd want my name attached to it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not your typical war movie at all, I was sold on the cast before I even watched it and they did not disappoint.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Binge watched about 6 episodes of a weird series called Mrs Davies last night.

I like weird, so it's perfect for me. A sort of religious (in a broad sense), sci-fi (in a broad sense), dark comedy (in a broad sense)...with some flashbacks to set the scene or clarify WTF moments. Less 'Warrior Nun' and more 'Eagle Eye Nun'.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Binge watched about 6 episodes of a weird series called Mrs Davies last night.

I like weird, so it's perfect for me. A sort of religious (in a broad sense), sci-fi (in a broad sense), dark comedy (in a broad sense)...with some flashbacks to set the scene or clarify WTF moments. Less 'Warrior Nun' and more 'Eagle Eye Nun'.

This looks absolutely EPIC!!!!

steaky360

This has just been recommended by Neil Gaiman on twitter.

From (series) now on it's second season, it's a horror mystery, looks pretty creepy

Its excellent, or certainly the first season was brilliant, I've not started watching the second yet. Total out of the blue hit. Felt a bit 'lost' like for me in the sense that I'm not certain all of the myriad of plot threads they're creating will ever get closed out but none the less. Really good.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Watched John Wick 4 last night. I think it's rightly coming to an end for me. The 1st and 2nd were excellent. It's fallen away and became a bit samey and predictable over 3 and 4. The choreography I didn't feel was as intense and clever as before. There was a lot of stopping and waiting for a sequence to begin, it looked a little like the grand master showcase where the underlings throw themselves about the place.

I guess it was to be expected, I didn't have particularly high hopes after the 3rd..... but regardless, I've really enjoyed the franchise. No need for a 5th IMO, I would be surprised if it didn't raise its head though.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Watched John Wick 4 last night. I think it's rightly coming to an end for me. The 1st and 2nd were excellent. It's fallen away and became a bit samey and predictable over 3 and 4. The choreography I didn't feel was as intense and clever as before. There was a lot of stopping and waiting for a sequence to begin, it looked a little like the grand master showcase where the underlings throw themselves about the place.

I guess it was to be expected, I didn't have particularly high hopes after the 3rd..... but regardless, I've really enjoyed the franchise. No need for a 5th IMO, I would be surprised if it didn't raise its head though.
Got to get myself one of those really thin, bullet-proof suits though...and these 'assassination' outfits really need to hire people who can shoot straight :ROFLMAO:

But it is what it is, and if you were expecting anything else then you've obviously not watched any of the first 3.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Got to get myself one of those really thin, bullet-proof suits though...and these 'assassination' outfits really need to hire people who can shoot straight :ROFLMAO:

But it is what it is, and if you were expecting anything else then you've obviously not watched any of the first 3.

The first one specifically, I didn't feel it was that far fetched. There is a lot more scoop your brain out and don't question reality with the latter 2 than the first 2 IMO. The first one was quite dark with a dark sense of humour, it followed to the second with the 3rd getting really OTT for me. The 4th just continued this trend.

In the 3rd, it was suggested that the motorbike gang from the high table were effectively bulletproof to everything but those armour piercing rounds or really high calibre. Apparently a pencil was enough to get through in these ones though, so they must have skimped on the material to get everyone those indestructible suits instead.

Ach, it is what it is. The story engagement of the 1st was top drawer, second was OK..... 3rd fell off a cliff so the 4th said that's nothing, hold my beer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Anyone been watching FUBAR on Netflix? They dumped the full first season recently (25th May) and it's gone to number one in most countries already.

It's Arnie, who I personally love in most things, apparently good comedy and typical action

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Binged it all yesterday.

Don’t expect side-splitting one-liners, well-written scripts, detailed plot, or deep character background…just ride the action-fest wave that it is (y)

Made a change to all the Korean stuff (that I like) that Netflix has been churning out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Binged it all yesterday.

Don’t expect side-splitting one-liners, well-written scripts, detailed plot, or deep character background…just ride the action-fest wave that it is (y)

Made a change to all the Korean stuff (that I like) that Netflix has been churning out.
Just started it now, I love Arnie

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I gave up on Netflix due to bad dubbing and subtitles on everything
Can’t stand dubs as they usually don’t deliver the lines with the same intonation or feeling, but got used to semi-consciously absorbing subtitles from all the foreign DVDs I used to buy via CD-Wow in the early 2000s.

I think my first Korean DVD was Old Boy or Sympathy for Mr Vengeance in about 2003.

Last edited: