Possible Security Threat

PhilGP

Silver Level Poster
Aside from the re-install items, can you tell me if the hacker got control via TeamViewer?
If so, they will have an ID for your PC which will probably be the same ID if you ever re-install TeamViewer again.
I am not 100% certain but I think it gets an ID from the CPU/BIOS.

My father got caught by a hoax caller and handed out his TeamViewer ID. Luckily he didn't get as far as giving the password. But with the defult security settings, there is only a 6 character (lowercase + numeric) password on TeamViewer so not impossible to hack. I changed his TV setting to be a 10 character (upper, lower, digits, symbols) password now and he will need to authenticate any connections. I maintain his PC remotely so I will be the only person connecting.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Aside from the re-install items, can you tell me if the hacker got control via TeamViewer?
If so, they will have an ID for your PC which will probably be the same ID if you ever re-install TeamViewer again.
I am not 100% certain but I think it gets an ID from the CPU/BIOS.

My father got caught by a hoax caller and handed out his TeamViewer ID. Luckily he didn't get as far as giving the password. But with the defult security settings, there is only a 6 character (lowercase + numeric) password on TeamViewer so not impossible to hack. I changed his TV setting to be a 10 character (upper, lower, digits, symbols) password now and he will need to authenticate any connections. I maintain his PC remotely so I will be the only person connecting.
I can’t remember if it was team viewer exactly but it was a remote connection very similar. I haven’t ever redownloaded I don’t think if so would the best option to uninstall it as I don’t ever need it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yeah i’ve been connected to the internet during it all. The first blue screen I was repeatedly getting was when I was trying to enter my email for my Microsoft account during the install. Since then I’ve been getting them randomly. Would a complete reset be safe to do now after the clean install incase there are issues with some of the files?
That's a real concern, although since you're using WiFi this could be an issue with the wireless drivers in the installer and your WiFi card. Get a cable and connect your PC to your router via cable for the installation process. You can always go back to WiFi when you've done the install, run Windows Updates, and ensured that all drivers are installed.

Note: Disconnect everything from the PC except keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If your keyboard and/or mouse are wireless then change or recharge the batteries.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
That's a real concern, although since you're using WiFi this could be an issue with the wireless drivers in the installer and your WiFi card. Get a cable and connect your PC to your router via cable for the installation process. You can always go back to WiFi when you've done the install, run Windows Updates, and ensured that all drivers are installed.

Note: Disconnect everything from the PC except keyboard, mouse, and monitor. If your keyboard and/or mouse are wireless then change or recharge the batteries.
Any idea why this would happen when it was working fine before the clean install?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
A clean install is just that, it’s not configured, you have to configure windows fully before it will run. That means installing drivers.
Is this something I should be worried about then? I’m currently working from home too on a different device and my WiFi is average at best would it be anything to do with the resources being used on the Wifi

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is this something I should be worried about then? I’m currently working from home too on a different device and my WiFi is average at best would it be anything to do with the resources being used on the Wifi
No, the computer isn’t configured yet, so nothing is going to work until it is.

This is totally normal. It’s just how you set up windows. Until it’s configured, you can’t use it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Any idea why this would happen when it was working fine before the clean install?
Before the clean install you were (probably) using the driver designed for your wireless card. When you boot the Windows installer you're using a very basic and generic driver that may not work well with your wireless card - that why using a cable is recommended. :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Did you go with this in the end?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Before the clean install you were (probably) using the driver designed for your wireless card. When you boot the Windows installer you're using a very basic and generic driver that may not work well with your wireless card - that why using a cable is recommended. :)

As dumb as this sounds my PC is on another floor from the router. And I don’t think I have the required cabling to do this. The BSOD are happening every few minutes now. Is there anything else you would suggest? Would it be worth trying the clean install again? I used a USB to do the clean install and booted it using it. I’ve removed it from the PC.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Did you go with this in the end?

This is the spec here

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
Norton 360 Deluxe: 1 User, 5 Devices - 1 Year Subscription
Browser
Firefox™
Keyboard & Mouse
CoolerMaster Devastator III Combo Keyboard and Mouse

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is where you want to go..

Click the + next to Windows 10 64-bit
Download and install the AMD Chipset Drivers

There may be a reboot or 2 required. After which re-run the Windows 10 updates and ensure there are no other updates available.

That should clear the yellow warnings in the Device Manager. If not, there's potentially a hardware issue or a strangely troublesome driver.

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
This is where you want to go..

Click the + next to Windows 10 64-bit
Download and install the AMD Chipset Drivers

There may be a reboot or 2 required. After which re-run the Windows 10 updates and ensure there are no other updates available.

That should clear the yellow warnings in the Device Manager. If not, there's potentially a hardware issue or a strangely troublesome driver.
Thank you the only issue is I’m not sure I’ll be able to download it as the crashes are happening every few minutes now

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thank you the only issue is I’m not sure I’ll be able to download it as the crashes are happening every few minutes now

Sounds almost temperature related. Are you sure nothing else has been touched? Even something being unseated could cause these issues as temperatures/power increase.

Do you have another system you could access to download to USB pen, or do it on your mobile phone or etc?

Sweep695

Gold Level Poster
Sounds almost temperature related. Are you sure nothing else has been touched? Even something being unseated could cause these issues as temperatures/power increase.

Do you have another system you could access to download to USB pen, or do it on your mobile phone or etc?

I cleaned the filter for the fans the other day is the only hardware related thing I’ve done and it worked fine after that. I don’t have another system I could use unfortunately. What would be the last resort here?