Skyrim Scaling Enemies?

Gorman

Author Level
Played through the "Fallout" 3 etc releases, those wernt Fallout though. Played 1 + 2 to death for over a decade.

MeveM

Bright Spark
I don't think anything should scale. I like how it works in OOO (the mod for Oblivion I mentioned earlier), which is how it works in WoW as well. Certain areas have certain level bad guys. At the start of the game, you have no business wandering in to the HQ of the world's most well known and fearsome bandit group, smashing your way through 500 fearsome guards and then besting the fearsome boss for epic loot, all while level 1 and wearing a sack and weilding a chair leg for a weapon.

And what makes you think that you can take on the HQ of the world's most well known and fearsome bandit group simply because you've leveled up and you're not better at wielding a weapon? you're still in someones HQ, alone. It's not a Asian kung-fu movie where there's a circle around you and they attack one at the time so it's just a long 1 v 1 fight. Someone is just as likely to stick you with a dagger in the back when you're good or not, you're still a mortal. Unless the game levels up with the idea that you turn into a demi-God then you're still a human whom does not have any tougher flesh then a pig. You don't have lightning speed so you can't matrix dodge 25 arrows.

With a system that don't scale you will need a system that shows what areas/mobs are what level like MMO's. If it doesn't then you'll find more people thinking the game is rubbish compared to the hardcore players whom like it. I think it's something you need to meet on a mutual ground. You need a mix. You need scaling because as I said, you're still mortal.

Achilles is a legend that's a great example where none scaling fails. Having mobs hitting you in the back doing 1 hp damage with their 2handed mauls when you've got a health pool of 1000? Please explain to me why you can survive 1000 blows of a 2 handed maul because you've experienced battle for a while?

MeveM

Bright Spark
Played through the "Fallout" 3 etc releases, those wernt Fallout though. Played 1 + 2 to death for over a decade.

Elderscrolls games aren't going to appeal to everyone mate. I agree with you, Fallout 1 + 2 + Tactics were Fallout, Fallout 3 wasn't Fallout.

I can't stand sports games. You probably don't like the Elderscrolls system/world. You can't change what you enjoy simply because others do, if you could, you'd be one of these modern sheep that listen to pop and dress/talk the same and generally are just clones of the modern society without any individual personalities. (But that's another topic :p)

Dayve

We obviously disagree. I don't like level scaling and millions of others don't like it either, which is why OOO mod has something like half a million downloads. I will mod it out. What others think or do, I don't care.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Thought perhaps im just missing something, maybe not!

Do you enjoy other RPG's? Can't really think of any game that's as free as Elderscrolls. Elderscrolls are as far as I know the only franchise like this. I might be wrong though!

I do wish there was a co-op mode though, it'd be nice to have people around you, even if it's AI companions.

I just think Elderscrolls is great because it's so immersive, it really does put you in a fantasy world with it's first person viewing style, and how free you are to go wherever you want and do whatever you want.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I always think the Gothic series (not 4...no, just no) is in line with TES games. That is to say very open world, good story driven content, kick ass gear etc :)

But to answer your question properly Gorman, TES games are a lot like Supreme Commander, so you should buy them :D

MeveM

Bright Spark
I always think the Gothic series (not 4...no, just no) is in line with TES games. That is to say very open world, good story driven content, kick ass gear etc :)

But to answer your question properly Gorman, TES games are a lot like Supreme Commander, so you should buy them :D

Never tried the Gothic games xD... And what's Supreme commander? :p
I can see Elderscrolls not being everyones cup of tea though. I've always loved it though and I thought Morrowind was many times better then Oblivion. I never ever bothered with those stupid portals, the worlds inside were so bland and uninteresting. I admit I gave up on Oblivion quite early, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed Morrowind.

Gorman

Author Level
RPG's i loved / played to death, the ones i can think of at the moment anyway

Secret of Mana / Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Zelda
Fallout, originals
Legend of Legaia
Icewind Dale
NeverWinter Nights
Dragon Age, the first one, not Mass Effect Dragons 2
Witcher 2

Wonder where elder scrolls failed and these succeeded.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
NWN was a great game/series :D TES games are bit more open than that style of D&D stuff, but the premise is often the same, so am sure you'd get a kick out of Skyrim (not point going backwards now, just get the new snazy one!)

MeveM

Bright Spark
RPG's i loved / played to death, the ones i can think of at the moment anyway

Secret of Mana / Gaia
Secret of Evermore
Zelda
Fallout, originals
Legend of Legaia
Icewind Dale
NeverWinter Nights
Dragon Age, the first one, not Mass Effect Dragons 2
Witcher 2

Wonder where elder scrolls failed and these succeeded.

Elderscrolls can be pretty slow with the traveling, which doesn't always appeal to everyone. Traveling and manually exploring the world for dungeons etc, maybe that's not your cup of tea? You're not always left with an objective, just the freedom to do what you want. I didn't do the main quest in morrowind, nor Oblivion.

MeveM

Bright Spark
NWN was a great game/series :D TES games are bit more open than that style of D&D stuff, but the premise is often the same, so am sure you'd get a kick out of Skyrim (not point going backwards now, just get the new snazy one!)

Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale 1/2
Those were a good few steps ahead of NWN, NWN was however also great but I don't think they kept up with the earlier games in the "series". I don't think Dragon Age can match BG/IWD either.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not to derail the thread (ok, we dont care really, but thought i'd be nice)...

...OMG BD! Loved that game (even tried to play it years later...wow graphics really do matter dont they? :D )...although I can only ever think of one word when I think about BD...Drizzt...and I dont even know what it means!

MeveM

Bright Spark
Not to derail the thread (ok, we dont care really, but thought i'd be nice)...

...OMG BD! Loved that game (even tried to play it years later...wow graphics really do matter dont they? :D )...although I can only ever think of one word when I think about BD...Drizzt...and I dont even know what it means!

BD? BG you mean? And how do not know who Drizzt is?!? :p Read the books, awesome.

MeveM

Bright Spark
So excited! Play.com posted my Skyrim on Tuesday, so hoping it'll come today ^^. Frustrating that I finish work at 6:30 as well :(. Might have to sacrefice some sleep if it's laying on me doormat when I get home :p

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
lol well I actually forgot id preordered then got an email other day sayign it had been shipped :p lol. Good times :D, I love online preorders, even though the money comes out when they ship, it still feels liek a free game haha. Especially as id forgotten that id preordered.

Can not wait. Unfortunately I get back from work at 9 this evening :( eughh I hate 13 hour days :(

Dayve

More focused storytelling and less freeroam (aka mindlessly walking around)?

Focused storytelling and less freeroam to you - freedomless linearity to me.
Mindless walking around to you... FREEDOM!!!!!!!! to me.

BTW Amazon still hasn't shipped mine (10am). If it doesn't come on release day and I end up waiting until the following Monday or later then Amazon will be responsible for me exploring class A drugs to pass the time quickly.

Last edited: