The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Tony1951

Silver Level Poster
Have started the game for the second time, now playing a Breton as I love magic. Only on level 5 with a bad sword and rubbish armour. Loving this game. By the way that Elven light armour looks great.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
3056CFB0C6C29767FA543F33AD2B11E26606266B

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
awesome lol

[video=youtube;gyCFuP3rM2w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCFuP3rM2w&feature=related[/video]

MeveM

Bright Spark
Anyone else think the shouts this game hyped up so much are pretty much useless? the first shout staggers people for 0.5 - 1 sec. The fire does less damage then a single-handed sword slash and same with any of the dragon shouts that deal damage, they deal hardly any damage what so ever. Only one I've found even remotely OK is the ice one that freezes targets, but that doesn't always work either. So I don't get it, why are they so useless when one of the major parts is to run around collecting them?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Anyone else think the shouts this game hyped up so much are pretty much useless? the first shout staggers people for 0.5 - 1 sec. The fire does less damage then a single-handed sword slash and same with any of the dragon shouts that deal damage, they deal hardly any damage what so ever. Only one I've found even remotely OK is the ice one that freezes targets, but that doesn't always work either. So I don't get it, why are they so useless when one of the major parts is to run around collecting them?

Ive found the ones I use to be super effective and really help my fighting style, im a straight mage, dont have any armour or shields, when theres a large group of enemies attacking me using force push really helps give me a chance to get my distance again and keep attacking. The invincibility one is so useful when your trying to use a scroll which takes a bit more time than usual, for example a mass paralysis scroll takes 3 or 4 seconds to use, trying to do this while you have things attacking you from all directions is almost impossible. The blizzard one is great against fire based enemies but not really used any of the others so far. From what I have used though theyre great :)

M3aaaq

Enthusiast

The throw voice one is really useful for me, as an assassin i use it to make the guards pass infront of me while i slit his friends throat.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Guess they're only useless for the fighting playstyle then :( Really is kinda pointless, the push one does the same with my shield bash does, which I can do over and over again without waiting for a cooldown. The damage ones deal less damage then my sword does, so for me, they're pointless and the cooldown is too long to be useful. Might use it more when I re-play a thief/assassin/spellblade type role.

Barnaby89

The ice one is good when you're overwhelmed.

Once you unlock the 3rd word in the shout one it's epic, sending snow bears flying off mountains is great fun!

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Man I did the hardest battle so far yesterday. Had to beat some sort of super wizard who had been trapped underground as part of the College of Winterhold quest. He was killing me in 2 lightening blasts, so it took a lot of running around, hiding, and healing before I could beat him.

Deklore

Bright Spark
I'll be getting the game today and already been thinking about what kind of character build i want for the first run through. I initially was going to go full mage, but after looking at the armour some of you guys have on, i feel like i'll be missing out so was thinking of a hybrid/battlemage type guy.

Question is, will this weaken my character if i go for a hybrid mage/1-handed melee rather than going pure mage or pure melee?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I'll be getting the game today and already been thinking about what kind of character build i want for the first run through. I initially was going to go full mage, but after looking at the armour some of you guys have on, i feel like i'll be missing out so was thinking of a hybrid/battlemage type guy.

Question is, will this weaken my character if i go for a hybrid mage/1-handed melee rather than going pure mage or pure melee?

Nope shouldnt weaken them tbh, the way the perks work in skyrim mean you level up what you use, if you wanna level up one handed weapons and destruction for example then u can do so. The only real consideration when choosing race at the start is some of their natural abilities, some are naturally better at magic, others 2 handed weapons etc. For example a high elf is a great start for a full mage, however I coudl just have easily chosen any other race an become a full mage, i just dont quite have the headstart on magika and the natural more rapid recharge of magika. Any of the natural abiliies though can be compensated for by levelling the perks and using different items.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Kinect owners?

On a different note, does anyone here have Kinect?

If so I am working on a little side project at the moment that should allow you to cast spells, block etc using kinect. The main problem i am facing though is how to move the player and look around. Ideally id have liked and may still do, to use a wii remote so the joystick on the numchuck can be sued or something similar, that way still leavign both hands seperate to cast spells etc. Even if I cant figure a way to walk (might just use auto walk and figure a way to turn lol) ill still do it for shouts and casting spells which would be awesome fun haha.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Thanks for the info Frenchy. Looks like i'll go for Imperial hybrid...

As for your query in the kinect. I do remember one game Rise of Nightmares i think that requires you to step 1 foot forward to move and to turn you turn your shoulders. Not very intuitive and quite limiting though. Personally i think it would work better with a controller (as in Wii mote or PS Move) I think there is an upcoming game for the PS move that allows you to cast spells via movement (i think its called Sorcery) Maybe worth a look?

M3aaaq

Enthusiast
Man I did the hardest battle so far yesterday. Had to beat some sort of super wizard who had been trapped underground as part of the College of Winterhold quest. He was killing me in 2 lightening blasts, so it took a lot of running around, hiding, and healing before I could beat him.

That's a dragon priest.. did you pickup his mask?

MeveM

Bright Spark
Not sure whether I've finished the main quest chain or not, I hope not, because it wasn't all that dramatic, rather dry actually, I'm just asked to roam around and do my own thing now. I really hope I get a call to continue it or something.

Deklore

Bright Spark
Not sure whether I've finished the main quest chain or not, I hope not, because it wasn't all that dramatic, rather dry actually, I'm just asked to roam around and do my own thing now. I really hope I get a call to continue it or something.

How many hours you clocked up so far MeveM? also did you do many side quests?

MeveM

Bright Spark
How many hours you clocked up so far MeveM? also did you do many side quests?

I've been doing side quests nonstop, I find myself getting side tracked everytime I go anywhere, always caves and dungeons to explore on the way to the objective, but atm I've got 55 hours. I find it a bit ridicules how I could get 100 in smithing about 30 hours into the game and since I've been roaming around with my Daedric mixed Dragon outfit and nothing can stop me, my daedric one handed sword has a damage of 70 without enchants.

Crafting a dagger gives the same amount of smithing experience as a chest piece. So I just kept making iron daggers, 1 iron ore 1 leather strap. They can be bought for nothing, and you get plenty of leather from all the wildlife.

Last edited:

Deklore

Bright Spark
Surely the main quests would have a more definitive ending? If it has ended how are the remaining side quests? enough to keep you going?